The Student Room Group

Based on 2023 GCSEs, will grade boundaries be higher or lower in 2024?

I’ll be sitting my exams next year and I just found out that 2023 exams will have higher grade boundaries and go back to the lockdown grading system. Is there a possibility that it will be a bit easier next year?
Reply 1
It ultimately depends on data from students across the country - if the average scores are higher then the grade boundaries will go up accordingly. Since the grade boundaries increased recently, though, it is more likely for them to decrease in 2024.
Reply 2
Original post by EN62938
It ultimately depends on data from students across the country - if the average scores are higher then the grade boundaries will go up accordingly. Since the grade boundaries increased recently, though, it is more likely for them to decrease in 2024.

i swear the average score was high that means in 2024 grade boundaries would increase not decrease
I am wishing that the grade boundaries will become deacrease so it might be easier to get a grade 9 if I just wish away!!!
Hey I’m resitting my GCSE maths exams I yes the grades boundaries was high last year but I’m definitely sure it will increase again because the resit exams in November decreased the exams by the overall marks was 135 to pass therefore they will increase again this year summer
Nobody knows or can know what they'll be! All the papers have to be marked before they are set ...
Original post by Nissi_2007
Yeah true hopefully this year it’s decreased and this will be my chance to pass but I’ll keep in mind maths grade boundaries will definitely increase
Why do you say that? Honestly nobody knows not even the people that set the papers.
Original post by Muttley79
Why do you say that? Honestly nobody knows not even the people that set the papers.

Yeah Nobody Knows we will see in results day summer exams this year
2 of my teachers had meetings with the exam board our iq as a year group is relatively higher based on cats score so it is highly likely for our boundaries to increase
Original post by mushypeas5678489
2 of my teachers had meetings with the exam board our iq as a year group is relatively higher based on cats score so it is highly likely for our boundaries to increase

Absolute rubbish - until the papers are marked we won't know. IQ has nothing to do with it btw they look at KS2 tests.

Yeah True grades boundaries will definitely be higher this year

iq isn’t indicative of the grades people will get and is a poor measurement of intelligence anyways
god last year's boundaries were actually BRUTAL (cause in 22 the boundaries were beautiful and 9-giving cause it was the first year of gcses after covid)
i hope they're better this year than last 😭🙏
Original post by Muttley79
Absolute rubbish - until the papers are marked we won't know. IQ has nothing to do with it btw they look at KS2 tests.

my teacher works for the exam board and they are just predicting at the minute
my teacher WORKS for the exam board

Well your teacher clearly is confused - I'm a marker.
(edited 2 days ago)
Shall we see what Ofqual say:

"Ofqual expects national results in 2024 to be broadly similar to those seen in 2023. Overall outcomes may vary a little if, for example, the cohort of students taking a qualification is stronger or weaker than in previous years. As such, overall national results may change slightly year on year, just as they did before the pandemic.
It is also important to remember that the grade boundaries for a qualification vary from year to year. It is important that they do so in order that they reflect the level of challenge of the papers taken that year. Although senior examiners aim to produce papers of comparable challenge, in practice this is very difficult to do. We know that some variations in the level of demand of an assessment, and any changes to grade boundaries as a result, are inevitable to ensure that fair and appropriate grading standards are set. As in any year, senior examiners will recommend. This ensures that it is not easier or harder to get a grade between one year and the next.
When completing formative assessments, or producing indicative grades for students, we advise focussing on the underlying content, knowledge and skills required for each qualification, rather than only the grade boundaries set for papers from previous years."

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/ofqual-guide-for-schools-and-colleges-2024/ofqual-guide-for-schools-and-colleges-2024

Quick Reply

Latest