Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it wrong that patients can refuse to be treated by a certain gender? Watch

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, there are only two cases where I'd prefer a woman: gynaecologist, and midwife. As posts have already said, that would just be because I'd feel more comfortable with another woman staring at my privates. But even so, when I went to the gyno, I didn't ask for a female (I figured I was going to be mortified anyway) and he was excellent at his job and made me feel a lot more comfortable than I thought I would be.

So yes, I'd prefer one over the other. I can only imagine caring enough to ask for a woman in the case of a midwife, though. And if I'm in labour, I will probably not care if somebody gets offended and calls me sexist for wanting to be a tiny bit more comfortable during probably the most painful experience of my life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zippyRN)
    no

there are only 2 reasons why a health professional can refuse to treat someone

1. personal risk i.e. if a patient is violent or has made threats against someone / group

2. the actual act of causing a terminaton of pregnancy.
    And the little matter of refusing treatment that isn't warranted or not in the patient's interests.

ReputationRep:
    I'd rather have the lump on my balls checked out than worry about whose checking them, cause that would be the last thing on my mind :-/

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thats a stupid answer. Everybody is different if women doesn't want a man examining her private parts that is up to her. Not everybody feels comfortable opening their legs to a person of the opposite sex especially after just meeting them. Having a chaperone doesn't take away that someone of the opposite is fiddling with your genitalia.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    The only way I would care would be if I was getting the snip. I'd want a guy to do that because women seem to take pleasure in it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.