The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Is it wrong that patients can refuse to be treated by a certain gender?

Scroll to see replies

To be honest, there are only two cases where I'd prefer a woman: gynaecologist, and midwife. As posts have already said, that would just be because I'd feel more comfortable with another woman staring at my privates. But even so, when I went to the gyno, I didn't ask for a female (I figured I was going to be mortified anyway) and he was excellent at his job and made me feel a lot more comfortable than I thought I would be.

So yes, I'd prefer one over the other. I can only imagine caring enough to ask for a woman in the case of a midwife, though. And if I'm in labour, I will probably not care if somebody gets offended and calls me sexist for wanting to be a tiny bit more comfortable during probably the most painful experience of my life.
Reply 81
Original post by zippyRN
no

there are only 2 reasons why a health professional can refuse to treat someone

1. personal risk i.e. if a patient is violent or has made threats against someone / group

2. the actual act of causing a terminaton of pregnancy.

And the little matter of refusing treatment that isn't warranted or not in the patient's interests. :colondollar:
Reply 82
I'd rather have the lump on my balls checked out than worry about whose checking them, cause that would be the last thing on my mind :-/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thats a stupid answer. Everybody is different if women doesn't want a man examining her private parts that is up to her. Not everybody feels comfortable opening their legs to a person of the opposite sex especially after just meeting them. Having a chaperone doesn't take away that someone of the opposite is fiddling with your genitalia.
Reply 84
The only way I would care would be if I was getting the snip. I'd want a guy to do that because women seem to take pleasure in it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Judgemental, insensitive and dismissive response.....Are you not aware that a number of male doctors abuse their female patients .....There is nothing sexist about feeling safe and comfortable. 🤨

Latest

Trending

Trending