The Student Room Group

My "white privilege"

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TolerantBeing
I'm finding this thread confusing and I think it's because a lot of people are going by their own definitions of this 'white privilege'.

According to wiki (assuming this is accurate, as I can't be bothered to dig deeper) this is what white privilege is- White privilege (or white skin privilege) is a term for a set of societal privileges, existing in predominantly white societies, that benefit white people beyond what is commonly experienced by people of color in the same social, political, or economic circumstances.

So those who are saying white privilege exists because in the West whites are the better off economically and are the least disadvantaged, you're wrong. White privilege is apparently a set of advantages a white person has over a minority person of the same economic, and social circumstance. So it's not about which proportion of white people are considered poor versus which proportion of minority people are considered poor. It's about white poor people being privileged over minority poor people. And the same for white middle class people and so on.

So is the white working class man 'privileged' over the black working class man? To me this just seems like a different wording for out-group discrimination. Which exists in every culture.
I think it's a really dull term myself, I don't think it's a case of white people having 'privileges', I just don't see where the privilege lies. I see that ethnic minorities may face hardships such as being targets of prejudice and discrimination. But I don't see what set of 'privileges' a white working class individual may have, other than the absence of racism?

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/jan/08/minority-ethnic-workers-more-often-unemployed

White privilege....

When for example a black person is discriminated in the work place e.g. when applying for a Job. Who benefits, another white person in same position.

You also get non-white privilege in the form of positive discrimination which I don't agree with.

White privilege exist because they won't face the same amount of discrimination/racism as non-white's that is the privilege.

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/07/11/opinion/alexander-olson-poor-urban-whites/

It is a privilege as although they face the same circumstances one is better of due to race.

Yes it has reduced in recent years, but to deny it doesn't exist is to be naive.

:biggrin:
Original post by imtelling
White privilege may be a Marxist-Leninist concept, but going by this thread its definitely be taken up by a lot of bitter non-white racists.

The concept of white privilege allows anti-white racists to control the narrative by stripping white people of their humanity and individual experiences. It gives them moral superiority over this group which they have designated as collectively 'privileged' and therefore undeserving.

I will say it again: This concept is a psychological weapon of war used against white people. It is designed to dispossess white people from the levers of power in their own civilisation.

The irony is, that those white people who have internalised the concept, are victims.

To an extent this.

There is an irony lost on some people who use a persons "white privilege" to oppress them. I've seen it be used countless times to basically tell people of a "privileged" class that they should shut up, that they should be disallowed an opinion because of their "privilege". You aren't allowed to have grievances because "privilege". It seems to me that so long as you label your target as "privileged" you are allowed to be as discriminatory as you like towards them.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by limetang
To an extent this.

There is an irony lost on some people who use a persons "white privilege" to oppress them. I've seen it be used countless times to basically tell people of a "privileged" class that they should shut up, that they should be disallowed an opinion because of their "privilege". You aren't allowed to have grievances because "privilege". It seems to me that so long as you label your target as "privileged" you are allowed to be as discriminatory as you like towards them.

Excellent points. I couldn't agree more.
Original post by ridwan12
http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/jan/08/minority-ethnic-workers-more-often-unemployed

White privilege....

When for example a black person is discriminated in the work place e.g. when applying for a Job. Who benefits, another white person in same position.

You also get non-white privilege in the form of positive discrimination which I don't agree with.

White privilege exist because they won't face the same amount of discrimination/racism as non-white's that is the privilege.

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/07/11/opinion/alexander-olson-poor-urban-whites/

It is a privilege as although they face the same circumstances one is better of due to race.

Yes it has reduced in recent years, but to deny it doesn't exist is to be naive.

:biggrin:

Yes, but I'm not denying that social minorities, or out-groups, don't face discrimination. Of course they do. But I'm just saying to call the discrimination of ethnic minorities 'white privilege' is just completely pointless. It's not just white privilege, you'll face minority discrimination across the globe. It is not specific to whites, it's more or less human nature.

I think it's a sensationalist and pointless term, up there with 'male privilege' and even 'thin privilege'.

We all know discrimination exists, we don't need some dull new term for it.

A load of rubbish.
Original post by Luminz
Not enough that they cancel each other out. Whites have way more.

I can't get an easy job because of my skin colour. I have to compete with everyone else

Original post by SophiaLDN
What exactly is your point here?? Would you like me to list every crime a white guy has committed?

Go ahead.
Original post by Speckle
Do you even know what a public school is? If you do, you are merely disproving your own point, if not, maybe you should google it...

EDIT: In fact, let me go ahead and do it for you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_school_(United_Kingdom)

In the UK it might be, but I didn't go to high school in the UK. It even says my location next to my username -- was that not a clue?
Reply 86
I'll be honest some fair points.. But in places like Newcastle there's a lot of racism. I was sometimes treated as a lower by some teachers. lol that's just how they saw me and I'm sure it was because of my race. I'm from Iran by the way if you happen to give a damn. So I think white privilege does exist. Not in schools/unis in London though

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SinaPars
I'll be honest some fair points.. But in places like Newcastle there's a lot of racism. I was sometimes treated as a lower by some teachers. lol that's just how they saw me and I'm sure it was because of my race. I'm from Iran by the way if you happen to give a damn. So I think white privilege does exist. Not in schools/unis in London though

Posted from TSR Mobile

Iranian's are part of the Aryan race. Those Gordie's in Newcastle are just ignorant. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending