The Student Room Group
Main Concourse, Brunel University
Brunel University London
Uxbridge
Visit website

IF you want to do well here read my advice

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20

Apologies to the lack of reply to the pm, I'm afraid I've been living without internet for the past few months. Int pol is great, I love it. Brunel gets a lot of flak on this forum from people who have never had any experience of it and, in my opinion, 99 percent of it is totally unfair. My lecturers are all fab, always willing to help/ talk if you don't understand something, all know what they're talking about and give really detailed marking. I'd definitely recommend the course, it covers a huge variety of areas and so you can really refine your modules to totally fit your interests. My dissertation, for example, is on how advances in weaponry and intelligence affected european politics from the napoleonic wars to the end of ww2. Anyway, I'd def recommend it. Good luck with your applications when you make them :smile:
Main Concourse, Brunel University
Brunel University London
Uxbridge
Visit website
Reply 21
alreadytaken999
This is really quite worrying, why are all the students attending Brunel saying the lecturers aren't good (students I've spoken to), even some of my friends who study other subjects are saying this. I've firmed Brunel as my choice, how are other people on your course coping. I'm scared I'm making a big mistake. :woo: :woo:

Mate, I've just finished the second year at Brunel in law and my advice would be see if you can get somewhere else in clearing. It really is that bad. A lot, but not all, of the lecturers are really really bad and don't have a sufficient command of the English language to teach their subject. We had one bloke who taught us Greek law because he didn't know what the law was in England and he freely admitted it. There is this other really creepy Italian bloke that can't even talk everyday English let alone teach law in it and two other foreign lecturers who shout at students all the time. It is so so so so bad.
ower
Mate, I've just finished the second year at Brunel in law and my advice would be see if you can get somewhere else in clearing. It really is that bad. A lot, but not all, of the lecturers are really really bad and don't have a sufficient command of the English language to teach their subject. We had one bloke who taught us Greek law because he didn't know what the law was in England and he freely admitted it. There is this other really creepy Italian bloke that can't even talk everyday English let alone teach law in it and two other foreign lecturers who shout at students all the time. It is so so so so bad.

Really? I'm not sure if I believe this. I've been there for four years and I never had someone teach me Greek Law. Feel free to PM me their names or post it on here.

The Uni is good if you take advantage of the facilities available. If you do the placement year its good. You get some GREAT lecturers who are really passionate about their subjects. You also get some average ones.
Tbh , I have had some rubbish lecturers but I have had good ones aswell. In addition, I have a really helpful personal tutor who has really helped me in my first year. I really enjoy the uni and can't wait to start my second year, and especially can't wait to start my placement year.

I am so glad I came here because I've made a good group of friends and really got stuck in with what the uni has to offer.
davidkp
I've just cancelled my placement year, why? because it's completely pointless. I'm doing summer internships instead. Not many companies have year long placement programs set up, however many have summer internship programs. When you've done an internship at Citi bank, you don't need to waste a year earning peanuts in a placement, only to go back to uni to find you've forgotten loads.

I want to get away from this uni as soon as I can, I am more than fed up of the lecturers that can't even talk the bloody language, and don't get me started on the other students!

I'm sorry but you have the wrong attitude and that may be your problem. I felt exactly the same way in my 2nd year because I was fed up of everything. It did me no good.

Also, you don't seem to know what your talking about.

There are hundreds of companies that would take an undergrad on for a year. There are more summer placements. However, there is a lot more competition because everyone wants to do one. Some people may be much better then you. With a year long placement, the competition is much less which gives you more chance of securing a better job. It also shows your dedication to your chosen field.

You won't "forget loads" if you do one, it gives you motivation and experience that will help you in your studies.

I HATED law, but my year out exposed me to how difficult it is to get a job. I worked full time job and saved money. I also realised I didn't like law academically or vocationally so I know I can turn my back on that profession with no regrets.

Employers like graduates who have more than 1 year experience. A summer internship won't make any difference if most undergrads have done it. However a year out would.
Reply 25
Hey Charlski, thanks for the summary; sounds ace! Interesting topic to study for your dissertation too :smile: Can't wait to go
Hey don't diss the placements! I've just finished a year long placement and it's done me so so so much good and I can't thank Brunel enough for encouraging my coursemates and I to apply for placements. I'm going into my final year with so much experience :smile:
Reply 27
Shake 'n Bake

Employers like graduates who have more than 1 year experience. A summer internship won't make any difference if most undergrads have done it. However a year out would.

LOL

Are you serious? I'm doing 2 internships this summer, yes 2!!

do any of the major banks offer placement year programs? no
do they offer extremely well respected summer internships? yes

I think you're the one who doesn't know what they're talking about.

"A summer internship won't make any difference if most undergrads have done it. However a year out would."

I still can't get over that. Speak to some managers of respected companies, I have.
davidkp
LOL

"A summer internship won't make any difference if most undergrads have done it. However a year out would."

I still can't get over that. You complete and utter retard. Speak to some managers of respected companies, I have.

You obviously took the time to quote me yet you failed to understand my sentence.

I never said an internship is worthless.

I didn't think I would have to break it down for you. But you seem a bit special so I will.:wink:

You are doing two which may put you in a better position compared to someone who only managed to secure one. However, it wouldn't neccesarily give you so much of an advantage if another candidate did the same thing.

If you have two candidates:

1) 2.1, lots of extra curriculars and has done a summer placement
2) 2.1, lots of extra curriculars and has a year of quality relevant experience

Who would you take? Better yet go back to the managers you spoke to and ask them this question and see what they say.

The more experience you have the more likely you are to secure a job (in theory).

Additionally, some of the entry level jobs ask for more than one years experience. Lets say you weren't able to get onto a grad scheme but wanted office experience they would chuck your c.v. in the bin as they are hell bent on experience.

You are right banks only do summer placements but so what? There are respected companies who do 1 year internships.

The candidate who stands out and has more experience will most likely get the job.

So what is it I don't understand?
Reply 29
davidkp
LOL

I still can't get over that. Speak to some managers of respected companies, I have.

You can do both.
Reply 30
Guys, how's marketing course in Brunel?
I'm thinking to consider it an option for Uni..
davidkp
LOL

why don't you do both
Just an update. If anyone doing a Business degree at Brunel and is considering the sandwich course, do it. My sister is currently working at Samsung earning 18k a year with 5 other grads/students from Brunel. She also had interviews with Mars, Bupa, Take 2 and other top companies.
I'm at ARU and i find that its best to have a laptop with you all the time. Not a large heavy one just a small netbook will do the same job. Saves me ending up with a very achey hand and missing the important parts.
Avoid carrying round a huge rucksack, a normal sized rucksack will do the same job.
Avoid buying branded stationery etc? do you really need to pay £3.99 for an A4 notepad. The basics range in tesco, sainsburys etc does the same job? The same also goes for teabags, tins of beans etc.
bring teabags in and pay 20p for the hot water, no point paying £1.80 or wait till you get to your hall.
get a student nus card it will be your new best friend
get a 16-25 card travelling home etc
seek websites which offer vouchers
http://www.vouchercodes.co.uk/
If you have a regular income/can afford it get a contract phone. it will save you fortunes and deals can be a little as £10-£20 plus look at freebies and extras you get with your contract. I didn't realise until recently that 500MB internet is a lot (its impossible to use it all on blackberry)
sign up to your phone companies website and check your bills so you know what your spending on your phone. Can that late one hour call to your boyfriend/girlfriend wait till late.
Get skype for your laptop/iphone etc?
How is the business management course at brunel?
The same also goes for teabags, tins of beans etc.
bring teabags in and pay 20p for the hot water, no point paying £1.80 or wait till you get to your hall.
Original post by alexandre966
The same also goes for teabags, tins of beans etc.

@alexandre966 don’t bump threads from 6years ago

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending