The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

People that argue beastiality is wrong because of consent are slightly retarded??

Scroll to see replies

Sithius
We're not talking just about pleasure, we're talking about the evil committed on these animals. You would have be crazy to believe that being imprisoned per se is worse or equal to being sexually assaulted.

Well surely that depends on the circumstances. Having sex does not necessarily equal sexual assault. Animals may not verbally be able to consent to sexual activity, but it isn't unheard of for them to initiate it.

And it would also depend on the circumstances of imprisonment. What are they imprisoned in? How long are they imprisoned for? What are the conditions of their enclosure? et cetera.

Gut feeling? You have obviously missed my arguments. If it was my gut feeling I would have said:

'its wrong' and that would be that. Try reading and thinking about my posts before making such obviously misleading remarks.

A morally grey area occurs when I do not feel so strongly about something that I am certain that it is wrong. I couldn't give a toss if you theoretically believe that raping an animal is a grey area, I'm just saying that I believe it not to be. Therefore my point is that I will take a strong stance on this one, whereas with a zoo for example I will not.

That's exactly what I said earlier - that the manner of determining what falls into a morally grey area and what doesn't has been based upon your feelings i.e. whether you feel strongly about something or not.

You say I have missed your arguments by saying that the distinction is made by "gut feeling", and then tell me that you make the distinction between what is morally grey area and what isn't based on how strongly you feel about it :s-smilie:

I agree that skinning animals alive and such (see China) is horrendous and disgusting. The OP didn't mention that though, so stop trying to put references in my response to the original argument.

The OP may not have mentioned it specifically - but it's the concept itself that he has mentioned.

Namely, people are happy to do some horrible things to animals without their consent (there are countless examples of this, not limited to those the OP has mentioned), but single out sex without their consent as something they are unhappy with.

A matter of opinion sure. But it's safe to say that most people will believe that you cannot possibly compare zoos and bestiality, or even meat eating and bestiality. That doesn't make them wrong, it means they share a different opinion to you, something you now have started to advocate. I would question your sanity if you are of the genuine belief that the aforementioned two are as unacceptable as bestiality.

As I said, my point isn't dependent on which ones are more unacceptable and which ones are less unacceptable. I certainly agree that some are more unacceptable than others, on the basis of how much harm they cause to the animal.

However, when some actions actually become considered as acceptable (rather than merely less unacceptable), while others remain considered unacceptable, the method of distinguishing between the two types of actions seems, in real terms, to be highly arbitrary.

Let me put it like this: If person A steals $100 and person B steals $200, person B's actions are obviously worse. But it would still be hypocritical if A reprimanded B for stealing, wouldn't it? Just because A's actions aren't as bad doesn't make it acceptable.
Similarly, if person A imprisons animals without their consent, and person B has sex with them without their consent, we may say that B's actions are worse. But that's not the point. If one is considered acceptable while the other isn't, the double standards still remain.

And what are you talking about objective? Do you believe that without empirical evidence everything is meaningless? I believe you hold some values, no? What is your objective reason for them? If you believe you have reason for them, that's good but it won't be empirical remember. Just like the reasoning set out in my arguments is not empirically based. That doesn't make it meaningless or silly, though.

I don't think it makes it meaningless or silly. But I think it requires acceptance that you are not universally correct.

I, like you, would feel utterly sick if I knew people were having sex with animals. Not so much if I knew they were eating animals, or locking them in cages, or doing other things to them without their consent. However, I simply accept that the only reason for this is social conditioning, and the way I've been brought up. I'm used to seeing people eat and cage animals, but not have sex with them.
But I cannot claim to be universally "right", while someone who feels differently to me is "wrong".

Unfortunately, it seems as though many of your points have relied on the Appeal to ridicule. "You'd have to be stupid/insane/ignorant to believe..."
I do hope you realise that, on their own, these are not logical arguments.
(edited 13 years ago)
Although you did make a fair point, it does not justify homophobia. Although I wouldn't like to have sex with an animal myself, you don't see me discriminating against people who do or making threads about it.

Yawn11
I'm not homophobic, I'm actually a fan of Neil Patrick Harris.

If that is the case why do you keep making threads about it?

Let gay people be gay and go and shag all the women you want. No one is stopping you.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 62
tazarooni89
Well surely that depends on the circumstances. Having sex does not necessarily equal sexual assault. Animals may not verbally be able to consent to sexual activity, but it isn't unheard of for them to initiate it.

And it would also depend on the circumstances of imprisonment. What are they imprisoned in? How long are they imprisoned for? What are the conditions of their enclosure? et cetera.

That's just poor reasoning. Just because some may actually want sex does not make a valid reason for making sex with animals lawful. As there is no way to verify their consent, we are left with outlawing it.

The time of imprisonment does not matter, because then we will likewise require the same for the sexual activity. When we look at it per se, we look at it generally.

tazarooni89

That's exactly what I said earlier - that the manner of determining what falls into a morally grey area and what doesn't has been based upon your feelings i.e. whether you feel strongly about something or not.

You say I have missed your arguments by saying that the distinction is made by "gut feeling", and then tell me that you make the distinction between what is morally grey area and what isn't based on how strongly you feel about it :s-smilie:

Because my argument isn't based on gut feeling, rather it has an element of 'gut feeling'. But then I hate that phrase as it suggests I am going off pure instinctual emotion, rather than some form of genuine decision making.

tazarooni89

The OP may not have mentioned it specifically - but it's the concept itself that he has mentioned.

Namely, people are happy to do some horrible things to animals without their consent (there are countless examples of this, not limited to those the OP has mentioned), but single out sex without their consent as something they are unhappy with.

Not many people I know approve of the skinning of live animals... Not sure what kind of area you live in.

tazarooni89

As I said, my point isn't dependent on which ones are more unacceptable and which ones are less unacceptable. I certainly agree that some are more unacceptable than others, on the basis of how much harm they cause to the animal.

However, when some actions actually become considered as acceptable (rather than merely less unacceptable), while others remain considered unacceptable, the method of distinguishing between the two types of actions seems, in real terms, to be highly arbitrary.

Let me put it like this: If person A steals $100 and person B steals $200, person B's actions are obviously worse. But it would still be hypocritical if A reprimanded B for stealing, wouldn't it? Just because A's actions aren't as bad doesn't make it acceptable.
Similarly, if person A imprisons animals without their consent, and person B has sex with them without their consent, we may say that B's actions are worse. But that's not the point. If one is considered acceptable while the other isn't, the double standards still remain.

You're a mathematician, am I right?

Well then, you should realize that the situation cannot be commented on because we don't know enough. There are too many more variables to be had. Who did this person steal from? How much money did they have? What purpose did they steal for? Is this person wealthy? And so on. You are making the situation completely black and white. You cannot do this with ethics. This is not arbitrary stuff, it's quite important. You calling it arbitrary is arbitrary, with no real basis. Now if the two situations are exactly identical, and the only variable is the amount stolen, then yes A would be a hypocrite. Exactly in the same way as a person who ****s animals would be in reprimanding another animal ******.

tazarooni89

I don't think it makes it meaningless or silly. But I think it requires acceptance that you are not universally correct.

I, like you, would feel utterly sick if I knew people were having sex with animals. Not so much if I knew they were eating animals, or locking them in cages, or doing other things to them without their consent. However, I simply accept that the only reason for this is social conditioning, and the way I've been brought up. I'm used to seeing people eat and cage animals, but not have sex with them.
But I cannot claim to be universally "right", while someone who feels differently to me is "wrong".

Unfortunately, it seems as though many of your points have relied on the Appeal to ridicule. "You'd have to be stupid/insane/ignorant to believe..."
I do hope you realise that, on their own, these are not logical arguments.

Regarding the latter, I wouldn't say it is quite the same as that, as I was trying to illustrate how irrational I believe your arguments to be ('X would have to be crazy' et cetera).

On the former, I never claim to be absolutely right. Just like I cannot guarantee that the sun will rise tomorrow, I still feel confident in my belief that it will. Although there is no empirical evidence on the matter we are discussing, it is clearly one that would be very difficult to prove in such terms anyway, so I am comfortable with my stance which I believe to be sufficiently rational.
(edited 13 years ago)
tazarooni89
True, but I think that's exactly who the argument is aimed at - those who eat and enslave animals without their consent.

The argument here does not condemn homosexuality. Nobody is actually trying to prove that homosexuality is wrong here. Rather, the argument says: "You condemn me as a bigot for saying that homosexuality is wrong. But you're being equally bigoted by saying that bestiality is wrong". It is simply an argument of pointing out double standards.

The argument assumes that we don't need an animal's consent to do something to it for our own benefit. (Many people would find it difficult to dispute this premise, as they engage in this themselves all the time). It then suggests to those who accept homosexuality that they should also accept bestiality. They cannot cite the issue of consent, as we do not need this from animals, according to the assumption. They are finally left with the issue of explaining why they accept one but not the other - rather than accepting both, or condemning both.

The cause of double standards is still between a discrepency whether something is right or wrong on the grounds of consent i.e the belief beastiality is wrong cos of no consent in relation to the belief eating animals is fine whilst there is still no consent.
beliefs about beastiality and homosexiuality, on the other hand, do not necessarily need to be in agreement, for example you could A believe homo is fine cos of consent, B beastiality is wrong no consent, C eating animals is wrong no consent= here there are no double standards.

However in the the op, it makes it seems the double standards concern beliefs about homosexuality and beastiality on the ground of consent, when on these ground they are clearly not directly comparable.
I mean why mention homosexuality at all? the op might aswell have mentioned in the op the "double standards of someone A.defending mutual masterbation as fine cos its consentual, in comparision to B.beastiality as not okay as not consentual altho C. they still eat meat. :stomp: "

Edit: just realised u kinda agreed with me :/
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 64
CharlieBee_90
Although you did make a fair point, it does not justify homophobia. Although I wouldn't like to have sex with an animal myself, you don't see me discriminating against people who do or making threads about it.

If that is the case why do you keep making threads about it?

Let gay people be gay and go and shag all the women you want. No one is stopping you.

I like the contraversy, debating helps kill time.

though I'm not homophobic, I don't agree with homosexuality either. This thread however isn't so narrowed to homosexuality but rather the hypocracy that surrounds the issue.
Reply 65
vandub
I know this is off topic, but are saying that people make a concious descision to become homosexual? Or that it's wrong even though it's something they're born with?

Im saying that people make a conscious decision to become homosexual, no one is born with a decision implanted in them.
Reply 66
Morals are personal.

/thread.
Reply 67
Ryde
Im saying that people make a conscious decision to become homosexual, no one is born with a decision implanted in them.

To a certain extent yes , but largely no.

It seems a bit daft for people to deliberately choose to be one of the most despised groups on the planet :\
Ryde

No. Not being born as homosexual doesn't mean it's something they have control over.
My opinion that it's either something they're born with, or something that happens at a young age as they are developing, or most likely a mixture of both.
Want to prove yourself right? Choose to be gay, right now.
Reply 69
vandub
No. Not being born as homosexual doesn't mean it's something they have control over.
My opinion that it's either something they're born with, or something that happens at a young age as they are developing, or most likely a mixture of both.
Want to prove yourself right? Choose to be gay, right now.

Sorry but i chose to be straight long ago
Reply 70
So? Children don’t consent to a lot of things either. Are you going to ask the same question but with children and pedophilia? And allof things don’t harm animals expect for animal testing. We need meat to survive. Also all of that double standards still doesn’t justify having sex with animals. The only who is mess up is you. And no zoophilia is not a sexuality it is a mental illness.

Original post by Ryde
If people say that homosexuality is right just because they were born that way *cough* bull**** *cough* , then beastiality could be considered in the same category because they were supposedly born with the desire to have sex with animals :rolleyes: , im not defending either one cause i think the defence for homosexuality is complete an utter bull and by extension think that beastiality is wrong

So? Children don’t consent to a lot of things either. Are you going to ask the same question but with children and pedophilia? And allof things don’t harm animals expect for animal testing. We need meat to survive. Also all of that double standards still doesn’t justify having sex with animals. The only who is mess up is you. And no zoophilia is not a sexuality it is a mental illness.
Reply 71
Original post by Ryde
If people say that homosexuality is right just because they were born that way *cough* bull**** *cough* , then beastiality could be considered in the same category because they were supposedly born with the desire to have sex with animals :rolleyes: , im not defending either one cause i think the defence for homosexuality is complete an utter bull and by extension think that beastiality is wrong

They go after adults who can consent and can fully understand what is going on. Unlike kids and animals.
Reply 72
Original post by tazarooni89
One can argue:
"You're being hypocritical. You're perfectly happy to condemn bestiality as immoral, but you call me a bigot for saying the same thing about homosexuality".

The rebuttal would be that homosexuality and bestiality are different. But how are they different? They're both 'alternative' forms of sexuality which might cause some of our stomachs to churn at the thought of them.

People say that it is the issue of consent which makes them different. But then the purpose of the OP's argument is to counter this claim. As he has said, it is a double-standard to require consent to have sex with an animal, but not to keep them in cages or eat them, or do many other things that most of us wouldn't think twice about doing to an animal.

Are you kidding. People who are homosexual go after those who can consent and can fully process what is going on unlike animals and kids.

Latest

Trending

Trending