The Student Room Group

Just solving 2 simultaneous differential equations - am i being thick!?

Ok, am I just being stupid?

Aim is to find x(t). alpha, g, M and m are all constants.

I've tried just solving it as a standard second order ODE but can't really get much further than the complementary function.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1
I'm not convinced of some of your manipulation; it seems you've written sinαcosα=sinα2\sin \alpha \cos \alpha = \sin \frac{\alpha}{2}.

But aside from that, find the complementary function, the extra term on the RHS is just a constant, so look for a PI of the form x = K for some constant K.
Reply 2
Sorry, i meant sin(2alpha)/2. Will have a go now..
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by 3thr3e
Sorry, i meant sin(2alpha)/2. Will have a go now..

Yes. After the correction integrate the equation twice with respect to x.
Reply 4
Original post by DFranklin
I'm not convinced of some of your manipulation; it seems you've written sinαcosα=sinα2\sin \alpha \cos \alpha = \sin \frac{\alpha}{2}.

But aside from that, find the complementary function, the extra term on the RHS is just a constant, so look for a PI of the form x = K for some constant K.

IGNORE. I'm BEING THICK as suspected!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by imzir
Yes. After the correction integrate the equation twice with respect to x.

You can't just do that though can you. x is a function of t..
Reply 6
Original post by 3thr3e
You can't just do that though can you. x is a function of t..

sorry i meant integrate x with respect to t. sorry I am an alevel student.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by imzir
sorry i meant integrate x with respect to t.

that's like saying what's the integral of y with respect to x and not knowing what the function y is!
Reply 8
Original post by 3thr3e
that's like saying what's the integral of y with respect to x and not knowing what the function y is!

ive done second order differential equations before but this looks wierd for some reason.

Whats your particular integral?
Reply 9
Original post by DFranklin

Ok I think i've done it. Please could you check it?
Untitled2.pdf
Reply 10
The broad strokes are there, but you also need to consider the particular integral to make your solution complete.

I have appended the detailed workings below for your reference, hope it helps. Peace.

Quick Reply

Latest