The Student Room Group

hyperbolic function catenary problem

An electric cable strung between supporting posts, takes the form of the following curve, which is called a
catenary, and which has the following relationship:
𝑦 = a cosh (𝑑/2a)

a = minimum height above the ground of the cable
d = distance between the supporting posts
(i) If the height of the posts is 10 m and the minimum height of the cable above the ground is
8 m, determine the distance between the posts.
(ii) Determine the length of the cable s, between the posts in (i) above, given by the following
equation:
𝑠 = 2a sinh ( 𝑑/2a)
Reply 1
Original post by weeliam9
An electric cable strung between supporting posts, takes the form of the following curve, which is called a
𝑦 = a cosh (𝑑/2a)

(i) If the height of the posts is 10 m and the minimum height of the cable above the ground is
(ii) Determine the length of the cable s, between the posts in (i) above, given by the following
equation:
𝑠 = 2a sinh ( 𝑑/2a)

the formula y = a cosh (d/2a) will only have a single value for y.... is there something missing ?
Reply 2
Original post by the bear
the formula y = a cosh (d/2a) will only have a single value for y.... is there something missing ?

https://media.cheggcdn.com/study/5f3/5f3b4ac0-588f-449e-854b-c27215a6b1c9/image
y would be the height of the support posts a distance d apart, so its not really a curve ... Though it sort of is if you regard d as a variable and not related to the support posts ...
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by mqb2766
https://media.cheggcdn.com/study/5f3/5f3b4ac0-588f-449e-854b-c27215a6b1c9/image
y would be the height of the support posts a distance d apart, so its not really a curve ... Though it sort of is if you regard d as a variable and not related to the support posts ...

Thanks for this. I've been overthinking it
Reply 4

Are you ok with it now? It should just be a couple of lines.
Reply 5
Original post by mqb2766

Yeah, I'm OK with it now. I'm just getting back into studying after 20 years. I am slowly getting back into it.

Thanks for your help
Reply 6
Did this question get resolved, do you have the working? Cheers, Ant
Reply 7

Hi,
So was y the height of the post in this equation?
Reply 8
Original post by the bear

One line would be the distance between posts? Is that right?
Reply 9
Did the second part of the question get solved?
Reply 10
Original post by mqb2766

Hello, I'm struggling with the working for this. I keep coming up with d=2a(y/acosh) but am unsure if this is correct. Any help is hugely appreciated.
Reply 11
Original post by chrisM1992
Hello, I'm struggling with the working for this. I keep coming up with d=2a(y/acosh) but am unsure if this is correct. Any help is hugely appreciated.

cosh() is a (hyperbolic) function, so you need to use the rearrange and use the inverse function arcosh() just as you would do with cos() and acos().
Reply 12
Think I need to do some more reading on this as I'm a bit lost by that... Guessing my rearrangement is a bit off?
Reply 13
Think I need to do some more reading on this as I'm a bit lost by that... Guessing my rearrangement is a bit off?

Its wrong. As per the previous email cosh() is a function and you need to use the inverse function arcosh() rather than dividing by cosh. If it was cos() instead of cosh() could you do it?
Reply 14
Original post by mqb2766
Its wrong. As per the previous email cosh() is a function and you need to use the inverse function arcosh() rather than dividing by cosh. If it was cos() instead of cosh() could you do it?

I'm quite rusty but do you mean to use cosh^-1 to cancel out the original cosh and work it from there?
Reply 15
I'm quite rusty but do you mean to use cosh^-1 to cancel out the original cosh and work it from there?

Yes, assuming cosh^(-1)() is the inverse function and not the reciprocal 1/cosh()
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 16
Original post by mqb2766
Yes, assuming cosh^(-1)() is the inverse function and not the reciprocal 1/cosh()

I don't think it will be the reciprocal. Thanks for your help, much appreciated!
𝑦 = a cosh (𝑑/2a)
equation:
𝑠 = 2a sinh ( 𝑑/2a)
Am i way off here, or, they are not looking for exact numbers, ie d =11. rather the 2 equations you would use to determine the numbers. to me, without either the distance between posts or the length of the cable, you cannot resolve to an exact value?
Original post by Pablo999
Am i way off here, or, they are not looking for exact numbers, ie d =11. rather the 2 equations you would use to determine the numbers. to me, without either the distance between posts or the length of the cable, you cannot resolve to an exact value?
Its better to start your own thread, but youre told values for y and a and have to do a relatively simple rearrangement of the first equation to get the value of d for part i).
Original post by mqb2766
Its better to start your own thread, but youre told values for y and a and have to do a relatively simple rearrangement of the first equation to get the value of d for part i).
Thanks for the headsup, and the reply :-)

Quick Reply

Latest