The Student Room Group

A-level Mathematics Study Group 2023-2024

:hello: Welcome to the A-level Mathematics Study Group! :hello:

This is where you can chat with other students studying the same subjects as you and support each other as you head towards your exams :grouphugs:

You can post any useful tips and resources that you come across, offer support to others, share your successes, or just have moan when it gets tough! :yes:

Just remember, it’s against the site rules to ask for or offer any copyrighted papers, or to take conversations off-site to do these things. Posts that break these rules will be removed.

A few possible ice breaker questions are:
What exam board are you with?
What do you enjoy most about this subject/ course?
What area do you struggle with in this subject/ course?

Good luck with the next few months. Remember, ask for help, support where you can and together we can do this! :yeah:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi I'm study23! I've just started year 12!

My exam board is WJEC.
I really enjoy algebra, and the really long questions in exams where you have to do loads of steps to get the answers, I find those really fun to figure out!
Probability tended to confuse me in GCSE so I need to get better at this.

Does anyone have any tips for further reading/work experience? Or Maths competitions?

Also if anyone has got any tips that'd be appreciated 😁
Reply 2
Hi I'm in yr13 and do AQA a level maths. It's great that you find the long questions fun because I certainly don't :redface:. I hate probability too but you'll get to understand it more in yr12. Don't know about further reading but you can definitely join the Senior Maths Challenge which would definitely be good to put on your personal statement etc.
My tip is make sure you understand everything in yr12 and to ask if you don't because it only gets harder in yr13:frown:
Original post by Pwca

This is where you can chat with other students studying the same subjects as you and support each other as you head towards your exams :grouphugs:

You can post any useful tips and resources that you come across, offer support to others, share your successes, or just have moan when it gets tough! :yes:

Just remember, it’s against the site rules to ask for or offer any copyrighted papers, or to take conversations off-site to do these things. Posts that break these rules will be removed.

Good luck with the next few months. Remember, ask for help, support where you can and together we can do this! :yeah:

I'm in year 13 now. Haven't gone back to school yet though so I'm not sure what to think of year 13 content. I do AQA. The area I most enjoy is definitely statistics! I know most people usually don't like it but I think its fun and so I easily get 90% minimum for the stats part of exams. The area I hate though is definitely mechanics!!!! It's too much physics vibe for me and I can easily get 0% in exams- this is not an exaggeration. Pure maths is alright. definitely doable. but u need to put the work in, which i didnt :frown:
here are my honest ratings for each section:
pure: 6.8/10
stats: 10/10
mechanics: 1/10
all of this is my opinion on year 12 content only though!! I heard it gets much harder in year 13
Reply 4
Original post by biologyfruit
I'm in year 13 now. Haven't gone back to school yet though so I'm not sure what to think of year 13 content. I do AQA. The area I most enjoy is definitely statistics! I know most people usually don't like it but I think its fun and so I easily get 90% minimum for the stats part of exams. The area I hate though is definitely mechanics!!!! It's too much physics vibe for me and I can easily get 0% in exams- this is not an exaggeration. Pure maths is alright. definitely doable. but u need to put the work in, which i didnt :frown:
here are my honest ratings for each section:
pure: 6.8/10
stats: 10/10
mechanics: 1/10
all of this is my opinion on year 12 content only though!! I heard it gets much harder in year 13

I honestly couldn't agree more, I hate mechanics. I'm looking to do a course at uni that's largely based around statistics, do you know what you want to do after year 13?
Original post by Amberm11
I honestly couldn't agree more, I hate mechanics. I'm looking to do a course at uni that's largely based around statistics, do you know what you want to do after year 13?

I think I'm more of a Biology person. Hopefully I can do dentistry but Im taking a gap year after our exams. I would consider doing stats but I just really want a job with constant patient interaction. It may not work out seeing how competitive dentistry is but regardless I deffo want a career in STEM; never liked or been good with stuff like english/ history etc
hi, i'm in year 12 studying a level maths, my exam board is edexcel and i enjoy the questions a lot. I struggle to cope with problem solving myself, so hopefully I will improve on it!
Hi! I'm in year 13 doing AQA. Mechanics is definitely my worst area, pulleys I'm looking at you.
Original post by study23!
Hi I'm study23! I've just started year 12!

My exam board is WJEC.
I really enjoy algebra, and the really long questions in exams where you have to do loads of steps to get the answers, I find those really fun to figure out!
Probability tended to confuse me in GCSE so I need to get better at this.

Does anyone have any tips for further reading/work experience? Or Maths competitions?

Also if anyone has got any tips that'd be appreciated 😁

If you want further reading etc, I remember there was a series of lectures recorded by an Oxford maths lecturer targeted at a-level students - I watched them maybe 2 years ago??
also STEP foundation courses are a great way to push yourself a little bit for fun - its the Cambridge entrance exam course, but its just a bit of fun if youre a maths nerd!
I also participated in the Cambridge Women In Maths programme, which I think happened early in year 13, but applications were definitely in year 12!
Also AMSP may run courses in your area, in person or online, that you might be able to sign up for - very interactive, team work, problem solving skills using STEP and MAT past papers. nrich also have some problems under post-16 on their website!

A lot of these definitely seem very oxbridge centred, but it was my experience that they were an interesting way to push yourself, and were great to put on a personal statement, and you dont have to take them too seriously at all if you dont want to go to oxbridge! honestly the AMSP classes in particular were just fun and chatty whilst also getting through some maths :smile: also kind of like revision without the boring repetitiveness of textbook questions!!!
Reply 9
Original post by harrystylesfan
If you want further reading etc, I remember there was a series of lectures recorded by an Oxford maths lecturer targeted at a-level students - I watched them maybe 2 years ago??
also STEP foundation courses are a great way to push yourself a little bit for fun - its the Cambridge entrance exam course, but its just a bit of fun if youre a maths nerd!
I also participated in the Cambridge Women In Maths programme, which I think happened early in year 13, but applications were definitely in year 12!
Also AMSP may run courses in your area, in person or online, that you might be able to sign up for - very interactive, team work, problem solving skills using STEP and MAT past papers. nrich also have some problems under post-16 on their website!

A lot of these definitely seem very oxbridge centred, but it was my experience that they were an interesting way to push yourself, and were great to put on a personal statement, and you dont have to take them too seriously at all if you dont want to go to oxbridge! honestly the AMSP classes in particular were just fun and chatty whilst also getting through some maths :smile: also kind of like revision without the boring repetitiveness of textbook questions!!!

These look great thanks! I'll definitely try a few of them out!
if anyone has hard maths questions please post here
Reply 11
CIE (Cambridge International Examination)
What do you enjoy most about this subject/ course? Constant practice and critical thinking
What area do you struggle with in this subject/ course? Coordinate geometry
Reply 12
Original post by Pwca

Hi, I’m in year 13! My exam board is Edexcel. I prefer the pure and mechanics side of the course and I’m not keen on the statistics which i need to improve on as well as some areas in pure.
Hello,

I am in year 13 doing edexcel maths.

I loveee the pure part and mechanics is fine too. Statistics is just not really my thing although I wanna do an econ degree so... but I'm just telling the truth.

I struggle with stats probability distributions.
Original post by Shubham9548
Hello,

I am in year 13 doing edexcel maths.

I loveee the pure part and mechanics is fine too. Statistics is just not really my thing although I wanna do an econ degree so... but I'm just telling the truth.

I struggle with stats probability distributions.

good luck with mechanics year 2 lol ladders questions gonna make you regret saying that
Original post by cr7090121
good luck with mechanics year 2 lol ladders questions gonna make you regret saying that

Ik mechanics is just long. However, Im doing physics as well but dont know how much would that help
Reply 16
I'm with Edexcel, and I do kind of regret doing it... But focusing on the positives, I like that this subject is very objective and thus it's less likely to be a repeat of what happened to AQA English for our GCSE year!
Hi there, if you didn't notice, my AS exam in my school has been cancelled and replaced with an internal exam, so that means that I don't get an AS grade in Maths.
Original post by Pwca

im gia, and im in year 12 - we do edexcel maths :colone: tbh, i felt like i was never really that passionate about maths until year 10, where a combination of an amazing teacher and motivation made me an absolute maths nerd. i love stats, and questions that seem super complicated but allow you to strtetch yourself and when you finally understand them- they're so fun to do! a bit scared for year 2 pure and mechanics :frown: but we'll cross that bridge when we get there haha. i don't understand the large data set in terms of how they'll ask us about it, but we have only started learning it. also if anyone could give a list of some good online revision resources i would highly appreciate it - something like how corbettmaths had the 5-a-day for gcses, but an alevel equivalent, just so i can do bits of maths daily?
Original post by staticsocks
im gia, and im in year 12 - we do edexcel maths :colone: tbh, i felt like i was never really that passionate about maths until year 10, where a combination of an amazing teacher and motivation made me an absolute maths nerd. i love stats, and questions that seem super complicated but allow you to strtetch yourself and when you finally understand them- they're so fun to do! a bit scared for year 2 pure and mechanics :frown: but we'll cross that bridge when we get there haha. i don't understand the large data set in terms of how they'll ask us about it, but we have only started learning it. also if anyone could give a list of some good online revision resources i would highly appreciate it - something like how corbettmaths had the 5-a-day for gcses, but an alevel equivalent, just so i can do bits of maths daily?

same, i'm in year 12 as well! I am still doing Pure, not touched upons Stats and Mechanics just yet, but hopefully I'll manage! Also, I highly recommend you use MathsGenie, there is a bunch of exam-style questions on every topic. Best of luck! ;-)

Quick Reply

Latest