The Student Room Group

Who is to blame for bad children?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I think all of these factors combined, really. Some people are just born evil. For example, the James Bulger case.
Original post by c++renegade
love a good HP allusion!

Always fun. :smile:
I'd say almost solely the parents, depending on the age at which the child starts turning "bad." You don't have to be bought up in a traditional two-parent, middle-class family to be a 'good' child, but the love and care that your parent(s) show(s) you is absolutely vital in my opinion.
Original post by Miss G
I think all of these factors combined, really. Some people are just born evil. For example, the James Bulger case.

I'd argue that. Firstly, IMO, no one is born evil. Secondly, J Venables and R Thomspon weren't bought up in the most stable of households.
Original post by Miss G

Well those kids suffered from neglect by their parents and their problems kept escalating yet their parents did nothing so they were not 'born' evil.
Well it's going to be different for each individual case really.
Whilst I do agree with the fact that the family unit is a huge influence upon behaviour, I don't think we should underestimate the role of peers. It's all fine saying if they're raised good then they'll stay good but sometimes even the most loving, committed, and intelligent parent can't save their kids from falling into the wrong crowd.
Reply 26
Chavs.
Reply 27
Original post by canimakeit
Well those kids suffered from neglect by their parents and their problems kept escalating yet their parents did nothing so they were not 'born' evil.

Answering both of the people who quoted me here.
The two boys weren't the only ones who lived in conditions like these, and not everyone who did ended up being a serial killer. Obviously the idea of people being born evil is one still discussed in psychology and argued by many. The fact is though, that many people live just like them, but they were the ones who did it. No one else. Why?
Original post by NaturalDisaster
See what I mean? Freaks...:rolleyes:

ps: Loving your username by the way. :lol:

:biggrin: Cheers! It's from Macbeth.
Bad parenting is the obvious one, bad kids usually have scummy parents. It's absolutely disgusting when I see mothers swearing and screaming nasty things at their 4 year old kids in the middle of town - it's not surprising they turn out bad, no one would fare well being verbally abused from a young age.

Environment the child lives in, usually they'll be influenced by peers if they grow up in a bad area. Also, siblings could influence bad behaviour due to themselves mixing with the wrong types.

I think some people are born evil though, even with perfect upbringings some children are horrible and turn out to be scum. That's the very few though, don't think many are actually born evil, most are just influenced throughout their life to act bad.
Original post by Miss G
Answering both of the people who quoted me here.
The two boys weren't the only ones who lived in conditions like these, and not everyone who did ended up being a serial killer. Obviously the idea of people being born evil is one still discussed in psychology and argued by many. The fact is though, that many people live just like them, but they were the ones who did it. No one else. Why?

It's simply about getting the right conditions and the affect those conditions have on people, if they were brought up in a loving good income family it is very unlikely they would have done what they did. Why else do the majority of violent criminals especially repeat offenders come from low income and broken families. Poverty + bad parenting is a potent mix look at Jails around the world it's the same pattern.

It is not a guarantee that coming from that kind of background means you will become violent it's just that it vastly increases the chances. I agree with you by the way there are some people who are born lacking something often known as sociopaths and despite actually having a good upbringing still act a certain way. However these people are rare and for the Bulger case it is clear that it is more to do with the kids dodgy upbringing than them being 'born' that way.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by takethyfacehence
:biggrin: Cheers! It's from Macbeth.

Knew it was some kind of Shakespeare, couldn't remember which one though.
:rofl: It amuses me that people on this site are bullied by little kids.

But back on topic it's the parents for failing to raise kids correctly, With no punishments, Because hitting your kid is now a crime :sarcasm:
It's many factors.
Sometimes you find a family with 2 'perfect' children and one rebellious awful one.

Either parents or people outside the home.
I have great parents and have a bunch of well behaved friends, yet I still throw stones at people.

Maybe I'm just a bit silly.
Blame this guy:

Reply 36
70% Parents.
20% Social group
10% School and State.

Although in reality I'd be tempted to up the figure on parents to 90%. Ultimate responsibility must come down to them. They are the ones that let their children out to do those things, they are the ones that fail to discipline them or give them any sort of normal moral code. It is not the State's job to raise your children for you.
parents and the environment they grow up in.... their behaviour will become like what is displayed to them on a daily basis, from family or friends
-Parents
-Area they grew up in and other children that influenced them
-The kid themselves

In that order, for kids under about 16 anyway.
Once people reach adulthood, especially over 21, I think it's bull**** to continually blame parents for their behaviour. Once someone is an adult their share of the responsibility increases. Assuming they live that long/don't have a debilitating drug addiction by then... :sigh:
I think it's the stress that poverty can bring onto parents which may cause them to bring up their children differently. For example stress could cause a lot of arguments at home possibly even violence which may influence the children to do the same. I could write loads more but I can't be bothered to add any more lol.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending