The Student Room Group

What does posh mean to you?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by im so academic
What? It can be true. Many private schools are academic selective.

It was said as if intelligence comes only from those who attend private schools.
Those people who look at you like dirt, Yet get alarmed when you question them about it.
Port out Starboard home

Apparently the term came from when the upper class first started going on boats to India. They wanted to sit on the best place, out of the sun. So they would sit on the left side (port) going out there and on the right side (starboard) coming back.
This guy is a perfect example.
Original post by acat
I came from working class Kent and got called posh when I came to Yorkshire.

Nothing in it really.

I have a friend from yorkshire who thinks cornish people sound posh because of our accents ahahahahaha
Original post by daisydaffodil
If you have a conservatory, a PS3/Wii or equivalent, a car that sits more than 5 people, or more than one car, if you go abroad every year, if you shop at Waitrose and buy clothes from places that aren't New Look or Primark, if you have matching furniture in your bedroom, lemon curd or "conserve" for breakfast, if you have a double bed as a teenager living in your parents home, if you have been skiing or snowboarding or have had sports lessons - that to me, is posh but to a lot of people, that's completely normal.

It's all relative to your own lifestyle and what's normal for you.

In my house, we do have a conservatory, a PS3, buy clothes from places that aren't New Look/Primark. I do indeed have matching furniture and a double bed, we go abroad almost every year and I have been skiing, but as you said to me, that's completely normal and I wouldn't call us 'posh', especially as my mother is a Nursery Assistant and my dad works in an office. :/
Reply 67
Original post by Cornish student
I have a friend from yorkshire who thinks cornish people sound posh because of our accents ahahahahaha

How strange, everyone knows Cornish people sound like Pirates :wink:
Original post by acat
How strange, everyone knows Cornish people sound like Pirates :wink:

Arrrrr.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-13924295

Edit: pirates sound like us

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending