The Student Room Group

Are you British or English?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Even though I have Scottish and Irish heritage (latter before the petition), I am still English. I want to see Scottish independence actually.
Reply 121
British definitely. And European.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 122
Original post by Psyk
But you probably also have more in common culturally with someone from your region of England than with people from other parts of England. So why not narrow it down more?

Personally, I feel I'm culturally closer to people from South Wales than I am to people from the far north of England. So British makes more sense to me because it's to some extent a culture spectrum rather than sharp divides between the different parts of Britain.

good point, although I suppose it depends on who is asking. if it is a foreigner wanting to know where I am from narrowing it down beyond England is unlikely to mean anything to them, whereas if it is a fellow Brit would probably want me to be more specific
Reply 123
Original post by lucaf
good point, although I suppose it depends on who is asking. if it is a foreigner wanting to know where I am from narrowing it down beyond England is unlikely to mean anything to them, whereas if it is a fellow Brit would probably want me to be more specific

Yeah, that's true. When I identify myself to a foreigner, I'd usually say UK. But they will probably make the assumption that I'm from England, so I could see why people from other parts of the UK would be more specific.

Although sometimes I'd say I'm European. It depends on the context of the conversation and what is relevant. For example I often talk about video games, and generally Europe is treated as one territory in that industry when it comes to releases.
British because I've spent a bit of time in NI. And well dad was in the British Army, so when abroad we lived on British soil :smile:
My ancestors weren't English so I'm British.
I'm from Irish Catholic descent but I'd say I was British.
I'm British, but not English. My gradparents were born overseas.
British Asian :awesome:
Welsh and British.. is there even a way to get around that?
I prefer English - I think it sounds nicer and I'm proud of its historical heritage - but I agree that the St George flag has... unfavourable... associations :P
Most people I know class themselves as Scouse not English, I know I have irish catholic heritage but I was born on British soil to English parents therefore I am english.
I'd say British, but if asked where I'm from I'd answer England and not Britain - and that's the question people generally ask.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by ScouserLFC
Most people I know class themselves as Scouse not English, I know I have irish catholic heritage but I was born on British soil to English parents therefore I am english.

Yeah I'm Irish Catholic descent, and loads of people I know from Liverpool are too. A lot of them disassociate themselves with England as well, some jokingly and others seriously, claiming they're Scouse or Irish. Never understood it. I'm English, I was born in England and I've lived my entire life in England, as have my parents.
Original post by dosvidaniya
Yeah I'm Irish Catholic descent, and loads of people I know from Liverpool are too. A lot of them disassociate themselves with England as well, some jokingly and others seriously, claiming they're Scouse or Irish. Never understood it. I'm English, I was born in England and I've lived my entire life in England, as have my parents.

When the irish immigrants flooded our docks in the 19th century, the vast majority of scousers have irish ancestory and roman catholic being the main religion in our city also which seems to be why scousers claim to be irish than english but as you said born in England, bred in England to English parents you are english but its not seen that way in Liverpool due to the history and the city built up on Irish as you well know John Lennon was half irish and so was Paul McCartney.

The scouse not english side of things is probably due to the Thatcher era of the 80's and 90's were the North of England Liverpool in particular was basically left out and left to suffer in poverty resulting in the Toxteth Riots and the cover up of the Hillsborough disaster by Thatcher, the government and also South Yorkshire Police which as why scousers today distance themselves from being English and more Scouse Irish also Liverpool is more of an independent state from the rest of England due to the unique accent and its history and its seems Liverpool look more towards the Atlantic (America and Ireland) rather than the rest of England which is why majority of Scousers see themselves as either Irish or Scouse.
Reply 135
I am worldish.
Original post by ScouserLFC
When the irish immigrants flooded our docks in the 19th century, the vast majority of scousers have irish ancestory and roman catholic being the main religion in our city also which seems to be why scousers claim to be irish than english but as you said born in England, bred in England to English parents you are english but its not seen that way in Liverpool due to the history and the city built up on Irish as you well know John Lennon was half irish and so was Paul McCartney.

The scouse not english side of things is probably due to the Thatcher era of the 80's and 90's were the North of England Liverpool in particular was basically left out and left to suffer in poverty resulting in the Toxteth Riots and the cover up of the Hillsborough disaster by Thatcher, the government and also South Yorkshire Police which as why scousers today distance themselves from being English and more Scouse Irish also Liverpool is more of an independent state from the rest of England due to the unique accent and its history and its seems Liverpool look more towards the Atlantic (America and Ireland) rather than the rest of England which is why majority of Scousers see themselves as either Irish or Scouse.

Yeah, these are the main reasons I've heard as to why the people I know call themselves Irish/Scouse. I personally still see myself as English/British first, but also have a strong connection with Ireland as I have a lot of family there and have been several times.
Original post by BiggerRickenbacker
British is a fake nationality. It's a political concept designed to pull together generally reluctant neighbours who would have been happier being sovereign-state mates.

I always state English. I see Scots and Welsh as confederate foreigners. :biggrin: In my mind, about 95% of what people associate with Britishness is in fact Englishness. I have no real problem with the Scots and Welsh but I don't think they are the same as us culturally and we all want different things out of the UK.

When I think of the concept of 'my country', I don't think of Scotland at all. I think of landscapes, cities, sense of humour, music, literature that are all English. And I speak as someone who knows Scotland quite well. When I am in Scotland, I have exactly the same feeling as when I am in Ireland or America. English speaking 'abroad'. However (being from the extreme south) when I am in the North, I still feel at home. If I see a beautiful landscape in the North I still feel that it is part of me and mine, or ours, and I am proud of it or love it. When I see a possibly even more beautiful one in another part of the UK outside England, I still enjoy it, but it doesn't feel mine.

jibberish!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending