The Student Room Group

What is wrong with food stamps?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Elissabeth
My parents never, ever received any benefits for me!

Certainly not Tax Credits. Only Child Benefit, which anyone can get.

I'm not saying those children are spoilt brats because they live in council houses, its because they get all branded new clothes, holidays, expensive birthday and xmas presents, days out, etc, etc.

So are you telling me that if some nice clothes were offered to you as a present off your parents for being well behaved you wouldn't accept them? I find that very hard to believe, also people with children normally claim child tax credits if they earn as well, otherwise they would be paying too much. Child benefits are still benefits, so you're lying when you say your parents never received anything for you.
(edited 12 years ago)
Yes it does. It pays for free school meals, etc.

And the council houses.

I am pretty sure those are paid from central government, rather than via council tax.

The vast majority of career claimants are chavs.

"Career claimants" maybe, but not benefit claimants in general.
Also, what do you actually mean by "career claimant"? I presume something like those who have been on benefits for most of their lives? If so I would guess you would also include the disabled and those who care for disabled relatives (and so are unable to work)?
Original post by tinktinktinkerbell
my heart bleeds for you

you got bullied, get over it

I have 'got over it'.

Not so easy rebuilding your self-esteem, etc, though.

After you've been repeatedly told you're worthless, etc.

Low self-esteem and lack of confidence can really damage you.
Original post by SpicyStrawberry
So are you telling me that if some nice clothes were offered to you as a present off your parents for being well behaved you wouldn't accept them? I find that very hard to believe, also people with children normally claim child tax credits if they earn as well, otherwise they would be paying too much. Child benefits are still benefits, so you're lying when you say your parents never received anything for you.

No, my parents definitely never received tax credits.

Well, its difficult, I was brought up to believe I was worth having nothing.

The irony is really its benefit kids who shouldn't have anything.
Original post by WelshBluebird

"Career claimants" maybe, but not benefit claimants in general.
Also, what do you actually mean by "career claimant"? I presume something like those who have been on benefits for most of their lives? If so I would guess you would also include the disabled and those who care for disabled relatives (and so are unable to work)?

Basically anyone who chooses not to work.

I don't mean the disabled (if they genuinely can't work, but many disabled people do work and many manage to live without a permanent carer- just with a home help, etc)

As I mentioned before, Alison Lapper manages to work and not many disabled people are as incapacitated as her.
No, my parents definitely never received tax credits.

Well, its difficult, I was brought up to believe I was worth having nothing.

Who the hell are you to decide which children deserve nice things and which children do not?

I'm sorry but you are making me very annoyed right now. A child should get treated well whatever background they come from. Rewards do not just come in the form of designer clothes and televisions. When I was a young child and my mother couldn't afford much I got a couple of videos for Christmas and that made my day. You're just so ungrateful and bitter you feel the need to take it out on innocent children brought up by parents who might not be as well off as your ideals?

Just go away, you vile waste of tax-payer funded education. You don't even know you were born, and you're complaining that other people leech off the tax payer? You're effectively saying that children born to "poor" families aren't worth as much as children born into "wealthy" families and deserve nothing.
(edited 12 years ago)
Basically anyone who chooses not to work.

So not that many people then.

I don't mean the disabled (if they genuinely can't work, but many disabled people do work and many manage to live without a permanent carer- just with a home help, etc)

As I mentioned before, Alison Lapper manages to work and not many disabled people are as incapacitated as her.

When disabled people may technically be able to work, you would have a hard time finding employers who would be willing to employ them. After all, why would an employer risk taking someone on if they may only be able to work one in every three days they are supposed to?
I have 'got over it'.

Not so easy rebuilding your self-esteem, etc, though.

After you've been repeatedly told you're worthless, etc.

Low self-esteem and lack of confidence can really damage you.

you clearly havnt got over it

you really are a jealous, bitter ignorant little girl arent you
Who the hell are you to decide which children deserve nice things and which children do not?

I'm sorry but you are making me very annoyed right now. A well behaved child should get treated well whatever background they come from. Rewards do not just come in the form of designer clothes and televisions. When I was a young child and my mother couldn't afford much I got a couple of videos for Christmas and that made my day. You're just so ungrateful and bitter you feel the need to take it out on innocent children brought up by parents who might not be as well off as your ideals?

Just go away, you vile waste of tax-payer funded education. You don't even know you were born, and you're complaining that other people leech off the tax payer? You're effectively saying that children born to "poor" families aren't worth as much as children born into "wealthy" families and deserve nothing.

Who the hell are some children to make fun of other children for not having branded things, etc?

They do not have some 'divine right' to Nike trainers, a Blackberry, etc, etc.

What's the point in buying anything for children under 2 anyway? They literally don't know they're born, they just lie there. Complete waste of money.

They aren't 'innocent' children, many estate kids are a complete pain-in-the-ass from a very young age.

No, I think, ideally, nobody should buy their kids loads of crap. Thats not what childhood is about. Then we wouldn't have so many spoilt brats. Do you honestly think benefit kids are grateful for their free school dinners?
Original post by tinktinktinkerbell
you really are a jealous, bitter ignorant little girl arent you

I wholeheartedly concur with this.

They aren't 'innocent' children, many estate kids are a complete pain-in-the-ass from a very young age.

And many, indeed probably most, are not a "pain-in-the-ass".
Who the hell are some children to make fun of other children for not having branded things, etc?

What's the point in buying anything for children under 2 anyway? They literally don't know they're born, they just lie there. Complete waste of money.

No, I think, ideally, nobody should buy their kids loads of crap. Thats not what childhood is about. Then we wouldn't have so many spoilt brats. Do you honestly think benefit kids are grateful for their free school dinners?

You really are a vile stuck up child. You have no idea what you're going on about.

:lolwut: Children under 2 still need clothes, food, a cot, warmth, a roof over their head... do you think they are free or something?

Did I ever say children have a "divine right" to designer clothes? No, I said you shouldn't criticise children who do, it is none of your business.

I've met many people who don't live on estates who are complete douchebags, but I'm not stupid enough to over-generalise this to everyone who doesn't come from a council estate.

As a matter of fact I do think children are grateful for their free school meals. You forget that I explained before that I was one of these children you show such laughable disgust for. Again, these children never chose the situation they are in, it is the hand they are dealt. To brand them "spoilt brats" just because of their geographical location during childhood is pathetic. For some children receiving free school meals this is their only proper meal for the whole day, so for you to sit there behind your computer and judge them is vile and very closed-minded.

You need to stop being so jealous, boo hoo you were bullied, boo hoo you had second hand stuff. My heart bleeds for you. You aren't the only one, get over it.
(edited 12 years ago)
I've met many people who don't live on estates who are complete douchebags, but I'm not stupid enough to over-generalise this to everyone who doesn't come from a council estate.

Indeed, quite a few are people who post on here thinking they know everything and anything about how to deal with people on benefits who are complete douchebags. I think its hypocritical that people with silver spoons rammed so far up their arses its tickling their tonsils can brand children with parents on benefits as spoilt.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by moonkatt
Indeed, quite a few are people who post on here thinking they know everything and anything about how to deal with people on benefits. I think its hypocritical that people with silver spoons rammed so far up their arses its tickling their tonsils can brand children with parents on benefits as spoilt.

Completely agree. It's really annoying to be judged by someone who thinks 2 year olds don't need anything bought for them. If people from a similar background to me are going to be judged I would at least expect the judges to have a little bit of intelligence, maybe that's too much to ask :redface:
:lolwut: Children under 2 still need clothes, food, a cot, warmth, a roof over their head... do you think they are free or something?

I was referring to whats the point in buying them any birthday or christmas presents?

Or branded stuff?
I was referring to whats the point in buying them any birthday or christmas presents?

Or branded stuff?

It's the parent's decision, as long as they are responsible parents what they buy with their money is none of my, or your, business whatsoever.

Or branded stuff?

2 year olds can play with toys
if this person isn't a troll they're thick as pig ****.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending