The Student Room Group

Why have you not tried 'drugs'?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Original post by alexmagpie
I have had mental health issues (and symptoms of psychosis when I was young.) I don't think it's worth the risk of triggering anything.

This is very wise, good choice :smile:
Reply 161
Original post by abc:)
You say that like it's a bad thing :redface:

X factor has been known to kill brain cells at a far quicker rate than a smack addiction! :wink:
Original post by Piddly
Obviously this thread only applies to people who do not experiment with drugs (excluding alcohol, nicotine and pharmaceuticals).

Is it the Law? Are you afraid of being caught?

Are you worried about you health?

Are you scared of becoming addicted?

Or do you feel like you are too ignorant about the drug in question to feel like you should experiment with it?

I am just interested to find out why people do not experiment. For me, although I do not take anything very often except cannabis and alcohol, drugs are important to me. The different states of mind you enter when taking weed/ mushrooms/ LSD/ MDMA/ salvia/ cocaine etc are so intriguing. I would find it horrible to be trapped in a sober mind 24/7.

Yes, drugs deserve a LOT of respect and one must know exactly what he/she is doing before trying a new drug for the first time. But there are only a few drugs which, in my opinion, are not worth trying at least once in your life. Just to feel how your mind alters under these substances is amazing.

I dont feel the need to take them. the way I see it if I need unneccesary drugs regularly to feel good then somethings not right.

Plus theres the obvious issue of health and addictiveness. I guess I just dont see the sense in it. If you do then thats fine but keep it far away from me, and I mean far, I dont want to see or hear about taking drugs from anyone let alone be offered any.
Original post by You Failed
I never said that had been no deaths. I know there have been some deaths, they are few and far between though. You're much more likely to die getting a car, crossing a road, getting too drunk etc etc the list goes on. The fact is, it's a relatively safe thing to do. There are an estimate 125,000 recreational ketamine users in the UK. How often do you hear about them dying on the news? And trust me, if one of them died you'd hear about it, the media loves to report every illegal drug death. Its funny that they don't report the 200 or so deaths per year due to pharms, or the ~8,500 alcohol deaths. Yet everyone considers them pretty safe.

Do you think there's some magic way the doctors administer ketamine, compared to how recreational users do it? The doctors may use IV, and they may be able to monitor, recreational use may be more crude but the bottom line remains that, they're still taking the same drug, there isn't a magic method that ensures safety, or any way to make the drug behave in a different way. Also, that's not even mentioning the fact that in hospital use, the average dose of ketamine is much, much higher than any recreational user will do.

right on man, tell it.
Reply 164
Original post by Elipsis
X factor has been known to kill brain cells at a far quicker rate than a smack addiction! :wink:

Lol ok maybe the X Factor bit although I have been known to indulge. But I prefer a glass of rose wine to smoking a J, but personal taste really, I guess it depends on what feeling you're looking for.
Reply 165
I don't particularly care for it and I've seen the effects on people I know.
Reply 166
Lol ok maybe the X Factor bit although I have been known to indulge. But I prefer a glass of rose wine to smoking a J, but personal taste really, I guess it depends on what feeling you're looking for.

I have nothing against alcohol as such. I have something against people who lecture others at length about the dangers of drug us whilst simultaneously sipping their beer. The Daily Mail crowd if you will. Personally I prefer a J because alcohol doesn't agree with me. It messes up my stomach condition, it makes me feel like crap the day after if I even have just one or two glasses, and I prefer the effect of weed.
IMO this banning of drugs is ridiculous. Cocaine has destroyed the lives of many Columbians and drug trafficking funds a lot of other criminal activities.

People would find a way to get banned stuff. And if it's banned, it actually increases demand for it. Look at the Manhunt video game and see what I mean.
- Don't want to snort cocaine off the top of a toilet seat, not classy.
- LSD looks like fun but ****s up your head in the long run, I've met people who got into it.
- Heroine destroys lives.
- I don't go to raves etc, so speed and e don't really appeal.
Original post by SnoochToTheBooch
but as far as I'm aware, there's nothing to suggest that the likes of psilocybin & DMT are anything other than safe for use. I know I certainly don't feel negatively affected in any way, my mind is as sharp as it's ever been and I've taken most of the common substances out there - not that I think they're all harmless, definitely not. I really do think they could be great for society, for the attitudes they promote (and discourage).

No offense, but i couldnt draw an accurate conclusion from a sample of one guinea pig that could tell me hes feeling fine :smile:

Personally i doubt psilocybin is as harmful as other stuff mentioned on ths thread, studies that have been done have shown that its hallucinagentic responses lessened with increased exposure. But there were i think results that also showed increased incidence of panic attacks with long term use.
No one will really know proven long term effects of psilocybin until widescale and cross-generational study is conducted whcih wont happen because these things are expensive and the only ones that do them are Pharmaceutical companies. So if theres no money in, they wouldnt bother. Currently the most interest is in venoms and particulary marine venoms which are proving to be far more potent chemicals with various components that have numerous medical applications. It may be that if these are synthesised that more potent recreational drugs may be created for the black market as a side line - but why is this a good thing?

But the majority of the recreational drug supply in uk is far more risky than magic mushrooms and being sold to ignorant people by ignorant people - quite simply a potential timebomb. You can argue that these substances are safe, but only in the right hands, and for specific (medical) purposes in a controlled environment.

So the bigger question is why do some people feel they need a chemical high, its not part of the basic human need to eat, sleep, pro create etc. Perhaps the same reason why some people feel they 'need' a drink to be social. This non science question, something for a psychologist to investigate.
Original post by Piddly
Obviously this thread only applies to people who do not experiment with drugs (excluding alcohol, nicotine and pharmaceuticals).

Is it the Law? Are you afraid of being caught?

Are you worried about you health?

Are you scared of becoming addicted?

Or do you feel like you are too ignorant about the drug in question to feel like you should experiment with it?

I am just interested to find out why people do not experiment. For me, although I do not take anything very often except cannabis and alcohol, drugs are important to me. The different states of mind you enter when taking weed/ mushrooms/ LSD/ MDMA/ salvia/ cocaine etc are so intriguing. I would find it horrible to be trapped in a sober mind 24/7.

Yes, drugs deserve a LOT of respect and one must know exactly what he/she is doing before trying a new drug for the first time. But there are only a few drugs which, in my opinion, are not worth trying at least once in your life. Just to feel how your mind alters under these substances is amazing.

Can't see any positives that come from taking drugs whatsoever.

At least drinking alcohol is sociable but no one I know takes drugs and I don't see why anyone would feel the need to.
Reply 171
personally, i've never got round to it.. and dont intend to!
Reply 172
Original post by Elipsis
I have nothing against alcohol as such. I have something against people who lecture others at length about the dangers of drug us whilst simultaneously sipping their beer. The Daily Mail crowd if you will. Personally I prefer a J because alcohol doesn't agree with me. It messes up my stomach condition, it makes me feel like crap the day after if I even have just one or two glasses, and I prefer the effect of weed.

I think with weed it is really stupid because it is so widely used any adverse effects are generally known and understood. But I understand it with other drugs when people say they can be dangerous, that's not just the Daily Mail crowd I agree with this too. I mean a lot of people take drugs without even understanding what they are, and with no way of knowing what's actually in them. I think this is partly down to the fact that they're illegal so they can't be monitored or regulated though.

Basically I don't personally think there are many drugs that I haven't tried which I would want to try...if someone else does go for it but I definitely wouldn't condone it, because you don't know what the risks are. At least with alcohol I know the exact number of units I'm having, and that there's no crushed up glass or rat poison in it.

That's just my opinion :smile:
Well firstly I have no idea what's in the stuff someone is selling me on a street corner, and I'm not going to put something in my body when I haven't actually got a clue what it is. And secondly I know what the affects of drugs are, but they're affects that don't really appeal to me.
Reply 174
I think with weed it is really stupid because it is so widely used any adverse effects are generally known and understood. But I understand it with other drugs when people say they can be dangerous, that's not just the Daily Mail crowd I agree with this too. I mean a lot of people take drugs without even understanding what they are, and with no way of knowing what's actually in them. I think this is partly down to the fact that they're illegal so they can't be monitored or regulated though.

Basically I don't personally think there are many drugs that I haven't tried which I would want to try...if someone else does go for it but I definitely wouldn't condone it, because you don't know what the risks are. At least with alcohol I know the exact number of units I'm having, and that there's no crushed up glass or rat poison in it.

That's just my opinion :smile:

Most people I know, myself included, use testing kits. They also use the reports from other users on strength, as well as the lab reports produced by users submitting them for testing in the Netherlands. There is no incentive for a drug dealer to put rat poison or glass in their product... dead customers don't tend to be good repeat customers. Almost all the dangers associated with most illegal drugs do stem from the fact they are illegal, and even with the fact they are illegal factored in most are still - on paper - safer than alcohol.
Reply 175
In some respects, it is and in others it isn't. A lot of people are actually incredibly misinformed about heroin. For example, a lot of people don't know that pure heroin has little to no negative health effects, until you start getting near overdose quantities, in which case well... you overdose. The negative health effects seen in those who regularly take heroin, such as HIV, skin diseases, liver and kidney damage, are all results of long term exposure to impurities in the heroin, the crap that it gets cut with to increase the street value.

If one were to obtain pure heroin and inject it with clean syringes, providing you took the right dose, there would be pretty much no health risks, other than having an allergic reaction (applies to any drug). There's the risk of addiction, which then leads to other problems, there's no denying it's an incredibly addictive drug and that must be considered, the truth is though, addiction is really the only negative thing when we're talking about pure heroin, even then, if one where to hypothetically become addicted to pure heroin, you would still experience no negative health effects if the addiction was maintained. Theoretically, if you had enough money to fuel a heroin addiction and maintain a pure supply, nothing would happen to you. In reality though, that isn't going to happen.

The dangers of heroin are almost soley derived from its illegality. The reality is, no one is going to get a pure source of heroin illegally, so everytime a user injects, they're not injecting heroin, they're injecting heroin cut with a lot of other crap, all directly into their blood stream, leading to (as I already said), skin diseases, liver and kidney failure, HIV and collapsed veins, to name a few problems. Since it's cut with god knows what, the user also does not know the purity of the heroin and so we introduce the risk of overdose into the equation too. A user may be consistently used to buying heroin of a certain unknown purity, they know how much to take of this heroin and then one day, they're getting their fix and unknowningly buy heroin of a higher purity, they continue to take the same amount that they're used to and subsequently overdose and die.

Let's imagine then, that heroin was legalised and pure sources, of known purity, were provided. You'd eliminate essentially all negative health effects of the drug, you'd eliminate the risk of overdose, as the purity would always be known. You'd eliminate the billions of pounds that goes into the pockets of the criminals and the lives that are lost within that trade, plus eliminate anything else that money goes towards (human trifficking for one).

Is this enough to jusitfy it though? I'm not sure. The problem lies within how addictive is. Realistically, I don't think legalising is going to cause everyone to start taking heroin, everyone knows how addictive it is and even those who know how to get it and already indulge in other drugs, would still most likely draw the line at heroin. I know quite a few people who have experimented with various substances, they don't care about whether they're illegal or not, that isn't the reason why they won't do heroin. They won't do it because they know, if they got addicted, it would ruin their lives. That wouldn't change if it were legalised, they wouldn't suddenly think, oh let's go try heroin! If it were legalised and they became addicted it would still **** their lives up. They might not die because of it, they might not even become that ill, but it would still severely ruin things for them. However, the increased availability may cause some very curious people to try it, they may just want to experiment with it once or twice and unintentionally become addicted. Obviously no one plans to become addicted to heroin, everyone just tried it the first time to experiment, it's just that, at the moment, you would really have to go out and actively pursue getting some in order to try it. So it being readily available, could be quite a dangerous thing.

I'm torn. On one hand, I think legalising would be good, you'd lower death rates, you'd lower negative health affects, you'd lower gang activity, amongst other criminal activity and you'd pump money into the economy via existing users. I also think the amount of people who use it, wouldn't increase substantially, for reasons I've already listed. On the other hand, I have a feeling, that use may increase marginally simply due to the increased availability and lowered risk of death. Does one justify the other? Which case is worse?

I think ideally, some kind of middle ground would be the best situation. Where availability of heroin doesn't massively increase, so that it's still not easy to get, but so that those who do use, aren't destroying themselves with an impure substance provided by gangs.

Edit: I do hope people read my entire post, I can see that if you were to read the first paragraph, you'd just think I was saying "Heroin is fine!", which I am not.

Essay much?
(edited 12 years ago)
I have tried a number of drugs: Ecstasy (MDMA), Cocaine, Ketamine, Hash, Weed (Skunk) and Nitrous Oxide Balloons

From personal experiance I'd say the most pleasurable was Ecstasy and that the first time I took E I've never ever felt so good, the sense of Eurphoria is quite simply amazing, it really is the next level feeling (a million times better than being pissed). I would suggest don't abuse it, it was hard for me because I wanted to get that feeling so much that I took it too much in a short period of time, needing to take more and more and it wasn't having as much effect. Not only was it expensive but the come downs aren't worth it, especially if you are prone to depression. It's not that I regret taking it, I just feel like now I've experianced the effects of E, nothing else compares....
Also I used to smoke weed (skunk) regulary, this made me feel so lazy and depressed it really isn't worth it, so far I've gone a week without smoking weed and that has been a real struggle, I never thought having the occassional spliff at weekends would turn into smoking every day, so my advice is: If you want to experiment with drugs, do it with people you can trust, have a good time but whatever you do don't abuse drugs because it is a very slipperly slope.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 177
I've tried once :smile: It was AMAZING! However i do not intend to try again.. because i want to pass my A-Levels :P
I never said that had been no deaths. I know there have been some deaths, they are few and far between though. You're much more likely to die getting a car, crossing a road, getting too drunk etc etc the list goes on. The fact is, it's a relatively safe thing to do. There are an estimate 125,000 recreational ketamine users in the UK. How often do you hear about them dying on the news? And trust me, if one of them died you'd hear about it, the media loves to report every illegal drug death. Its funny that they don't report the 200 or so deaths per year due to pharms, or the ~8,500 alcohol deaths. Yet everyone considers them pretty safe.

Do you think there's some magic way the doctors administer ketamine, compared to how recreational users do it? The doctors may use IV, and they may be able to monitor, recreational use may be more crude but the bottom line remains that, they're still taking the same drug, there isn't a magic method that ensures safety, or any way to make the drug behave in a different way. Also, that's not even mentioning the fact that in hospital use, the average dose of ketamine is much, much higher than any recreational user will do.

Not magic no, but the knowledge and expertise of medical science- ie the people that designed the drug in the first place, beleive it or not special K wasnt invented by some slimey dealer selling pills out of his car boot.

And yes in a medically administered environment IVs as well as VS/BP monitors, on top of medically trained supervision, with access to adrenaline , resuscitation equipment etc. In addtion the patients background health and history will have been checked and the medics will have knowledge of other medication previously taken, fluids, food consumed and times etc. And even with all that its never taken for granted that everything goes 100% as expected with every person- that is the nature of drugs. What exactly do you from Gary the drug dealer or in the back of a crowded club in terms of assurance? I can hardly believe that i would even have to explain all that :facepalm:

I could name a stack of meds whose side effect could give you what you would dscribe as a trip or 'high' and are used quite regurlaly in medical treatments for specific purposes and conditions - are you seriously telling me that you would take them in order to get a buzz in nightclub??
Reply 179
Original post by Elipsis
Most people I know, myself included, use testing kits. They also use the reports from other users on strength, as well as the lab reports produced by users submitting them for testing in the Netherlands. There is no incentive for a drug dealer to put rat poison or glass in their product... dead customers don't tend to be good repeat customers. Almost all the dangers associated with most illegal drugs do stem from the fact they are illegal, and even with the fact they are illegal factored in most are still - on paper - safer than alcohol.

Well you would think so but these things turn up in tests. Yes if you're taking drugs you should use a testing kit but I don't know anyone who does, that's what worries me mostly. And the fact that a lot of people, myself included, wouldn't know what to do if someone reacted badly to drugs.
It sounds like you're pretty clued up but out of the people I've come across you're in the minority.
I guess there's a good case for legalising drugs here, although I'm undecided on it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending