The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

How can people think homosexuality is a choice?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by willbee
Well I'm not gay and I understand it. Do you have to make an effort to be straight? Do you have to try to be attracted to the opposite sex? If no, then surely it's obvious that gay people don't consciously choose to go for the same sex as well?

The "choice" part of being gay is whether or not the person in question has the courage to come out and let themselves be happy and live their lives unashamedly. But it's a much harder thing to do than it may seem.

It is estimated that about 2-5% of the population is be gay, a varying average because it's hard to tell with such a high number of "closeted" homosexuals, meaning between 1 in 20 or 1 in 50 people are gay, so you probably know a fair amount of closeted gay people.

It is generally accepted that gay people cannot help being gay, nor can they just try not to be and succeed in "turning". Whether or not they should be allowed to act upon those urges is another matter. But it's not as if they're going to follow you home and do it on your carpet so why should it be any concern of yours whether or not someone is gay? When people think of homosexuality they think of the things they do in the bedroom however I know a guy at uni who is gay but says he would never consider doing anal sex, which is what most people associate gay men with immediately. We don't pry into the sexual antics of straight couples, although I know certain girls from high school who reportedly did like anal sex, so I don't think we should bother ourselves with what gay people do in their bedrooms. It's not our business and it doesn't harm anyone.

Bearing this in mind, I urge you all to educate yourselves to such a level that you feel you may understand homosexuality and the issues surrounding it but also the impact it has on individuals who are gay because of how society treats them. Most people probably unknowingly have gay friends, family, colleagues or acquaintances. I'm sure you will know someone who you like who is a closeted homosexual if not out already. Support them by choosing to be educated in these matters and to understand what your talking about before making judgements on these things.

However, I respect anyone who has taken the time to read some of the posts in this thread, as that shows that you have understanding and respect and decency so I hope if you ever know anyone who "comes out" in real life you can show them similar understanding, respect, decency and support. :smile:

Yes yes I get it now.. :smile:. well kind of..
Reply 581
Original post by hannahchan
Well I read on this thread and other places somewhere that strict gays such as lesbians can still like guys? and gay guys can still like girls? -_-

... confused. Why have those love views if your going to like the same sex anyway?

sorry this is going off topic slightly.

I think you're getting at the theory of innate bisexuality. Straight guys do occasionally fall for other guys, and straight girls sometimes fall for other girls.

In fact a girl that I grew up with has a girlfriend, they've been together for nearly ten years now, but she says she's straight. The way she describes it, she loves her partner more than she cares about what gender she is, she doesn't generally find women attractive.
Well I read on this thread and other places somewhere that strict gays such as lesbians can still like guys? and gay guys can still like girls? -_-

... confused. Why have those love views if your going to like the same sex anyway?

sorry this is going off topic slightly.

there's no such thing as a "strict" gay... it's not an ideology.. it's a feeling of attraction

sure some (not all) gay people will occaisionally feel attracted to people of the opposite sex just like some (not all) straight people will be attracted to those of the same sex.

sexuality isn't black or white... if you imagine only finding people of your own sex attractive as a number 1 and only finding people of the opposite sex attractive as 100... then there's a wide range of different feelings and levels of attractions in between.
Original post by alex5455
dykwia has been at it again on my profile, apparently whenever he makes a post it is ignored because no one can argue with his supreme intelligence and all his theories are correct, and also apparently no one has supplied him any evidence proving him wrong on anything :facepalm: im also a pawn of the gay lobby and no one can speak their minds in britain apparently

he is just very deluded unfortunately he sounds crazy half most of the time
Reply 584
Original post by Miracle Day

If any of you believe it's a choice.. help me out and tell me why please.

Edit: I'm just so angry right now.. sorry.. someone restore my faith in humanity

It is a choice. If you were gay but where to have memory loss and would lose all your memory does that instantly mean you will be gay again?

This doesn't me i'm against it, everyone is entitled to their opinions. Freedom of speech FTW. :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Bellissima
he is just very deluded unfortunately he sounds crazy half most of the time

hes currently writing me an essay on how and why gay marriage will infringe on my "rights" and how it will harm me personally, he also doesnt seem to grasp this is a british forum, i dont give a damn about american values and i wish he would shut up banging on about them
"Oxford University Defends Decision To Host Christian Concern Conference Who Claim To 'Cure Homosexuality'

Oh dear...

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/02/22/oxford-university-defends_n_1293082.html
Reply 587
dykwia has been at it again on my profile, apparently whenever he makes a post it is ignored because no one can argue with his supreme intelligence and all his theories are correct, and also apparently no one has supplied him any evidence proving him wrong on anything :facepalm: im also a pawn of the gay lobby and no one can speak their minds in britain apparently

I just read it. The whole "pawn of the gay agenda" sounds paranoid to me.
Original post by LordJenkins
"Oxford University Defends Decision To Host Christian Concern Conference Who Claim To 'Cure Homosexuality'

Oh dear...

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/02/22/oxford-university-defends_n_1293082.html

So Oxford wasn't a good choice then.
Because they're thick and/ or ignorant. End of. :smile:
Original post by FinalMH
It is a choice. If you were gay but where to have memory loss and would lose all your memory does that instantly mean you will be gay again?

This doesn't me i'm against it, everyone is entitled to their opinions. Freedom of speech FTW. :smile:

Ok. Well you obviously choose to be straight. Why don't you try and have a romantic fantasy with someone of the same sex as you, and then see if its possible to choose to be gay. You'll obviously find that there's no attraction no matter how hard you try to produce one.
So Oxford wasn't a good choice then.

Apparently not.. Cant say that I was that shocked seeing as Oxford is very old traditional (christian) school. Still in the dark ages then.
Reply 592
I can assure everyone it's not a choice. I even denied to myself I was gay through all my teenage years. I would've done anything to be straight.

Original post by MonkeyMan2009
perhaps not being attracted to the same sex, animals, children etc, but acting on the attraction (i.e. physical) is a choice and it is this choice which the religous types object to.

Oh great, so I'm going to be a lonely single man all my life, joy! :biggrin:
Reply 593
Of course it's not a choice. Exactly the same applies for us 'straight' people. We are not aware of it being a conscious choice, it's simply innate and has been there as long as we can remember. Why would homosexuality be any different?
Reply 594
Original post by anon1212
Ok. Well you obviously choose to be straight. Why don't you try and have a romantic fantasy with someone of the same sex as you, and then see if its possible to choose to be gay. You'll obviously find that there's no attraction no matter how hard you try to produce one.

1. I'm not qualified to answer that, considering that is scientific question rather than philosophical. Please I don't want to get into that debate.

2. Then according to your statement even if someone was to lose their full memory and be as intelligent as a baby they would be still gay. Agree or disagree?
hes currently writing me an essay on how and why gay marriage will infringe on my "rights" and how it will harm me personally, he also doesnt seem to grasp this is a british forum, i dont give a damn about american values and i wish he would shut up banging on about them

don't you know, gay marriage will mean more marriages happen and therefore will devalue your marriage.. because it's exactly the same as money apparently... we can't let the gays do this to us because we all know they are in a secret organisation trying to destroy straight people and their values :rolleyes:
We need to educate the current and following generations that it's not any different than being straight. Many years ago we had segregation of skin colour, that has changed with generations. It's in our hands to educate the future generations to know that it's ok to be who you are.

On another note did anyone see glee last night (the one that aired in America?) So moving, such good acting
Reply 597
LOL My argument isn't false :laugh:

Define Choice: An act of selecting or making a decision when faced with two or more possibilities.

There is always a choice (within reason). Who we are is defined by our memories without our memories who are we?

Its funny how you dismiss my argument based on your opinion rather than actually fact.

PS: I won't be replying to any more quotes. Regards.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 598
Removing memory on purpose can be a choice :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 599
Well it is confusing for a straight person to understand.

Not really, it's exactly the same for you, except that you like members of the opposite sex. I don't get why it's difficult to understand?

Latest

Trending

Trending