The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Getting upset with the lack of English-speaking people in England.

Scroll to see replies

If you say 'British culture' is real and empirically verifiable, tell me what traits comprise this 'culture', then tell me what 'culture' the British people who do not have these traits fall under. It should be a simple task.
Reply 381
Original post by whyumadtho
Yes.

But it isn't a single crime, it's a perennial problem where a specific section of the local society are getting mugged (as in assaulted and robbed) every week or month. Find me a report or admit what you're saying is hyperbolic.

What do you want me to corroborate?

You said you did not feel you were going to get mugged in Wales due to a different demographic.

What kind of sectarianism? Postcodes? Estates? Sounds like London.

Refute it. Identify the psychological traits extant in and exclusive to all British individuals that allow you to uniformly and objectively differentiate them from the behaviours of all non-British individuals.

If you think my premise or question has any flaws, explain and justify them.

Oh. You get what I mean then.

Find me a report on grooming gangs pre 2010. The police and authorities knew but did nothing to stop it because of PC. If it can happen with that....

Any of your insane musings about human societies not having different cultures.

Yep. What's the problem? The majority of muggers are black.

Religious. More like Bradford or Luton.

Why would I refute a definition I don't recognise?

Too specific. Culture isn't specific to that level - to the individual.
Reply 382
If you say 'British culture' is real and empirically verifiable, tell me what traits comprise this 'culture', then tell me what 'culture' the British people who do not have these traits fall under. It should be a simple task.

OK will do after you do the same with any other culture.
Original post by Bonged.
Race card. Obvious, surely?

So:

- You don't know what race I am
- You don't know my nationality
- You assume I play the race card to succeed in life
Original post by Bonged.
Find me a report on grooming gangs pre 2010. The police and authorities knew but did nothing to stop it because of PC. If it can happen with that....

Yeah man, the police that constantly stop and search youths and have countless of programs directed at them and monitor gang activities won't publish such data because of political correctness. Yeah man, seems legit.
Original post by Bonged.
Oh. You get what I mean then.
No, which is why I asked you to make the connection.

Irrelevant. We're discussing your towerblock in Brent, in case you've forgotten. There is no local paper, blog, online article, etc. that has photographs or incident reports? Not a single resident in that towerblock has any record of the issue? This is not exactly something that can be hidden: these gangs are surrounded by windows through which people can make recordings.

Any of your insane musings about human societies not having different cultures.
Answer my question: what is British culture?

Yep. What's the problem? The majority of muggers are black.
And what happens in Glasgow?

Religious. More like Bradford or Luton.
Amongst socially-estranged, teenage gangs?

Why would I refute a definition I don't recognise?
Then on what basis is British culture existent in reality? Things that are 'real' or tangible are empirically verifiable and can be defined.

Too specific. Culture isn't specific to that level - to the individual.
Then how specific is 'culture' and what traits comprise any given 'culture'?

Original post by Bonged.
OK will do after you do the same with any other culture.
I don't believe various psychological traits can be reified and given a name or category, but you do. Why are you asking me to define what I do not believe can be defined?

This is why this discussion doesn't get anywhere: you posit 'culture' exists in reality, but still refuse to identify it. Why can't you direct me to something that is real and perceivable? It should be a simple task.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 386
Original post by Wilfred Little
So:

- You don't know what race I am
- You don't know my nationality
- You assume I play the race card to succeed in life

lol. If you're a white northerner with an avid admiration for Malcolm X - a black separatist racist - and a nigerian flag describing your identity - you've got big problems.
Reply 387
Original post by Annoying-Mouse
Yeah man, the police that constantly stop and search youths and have countless of programs directed at them and monitor gang activities won't publish such data because of political correctness. Yeah man, seems legit.

I'm sorry, did you have a report to link me to?
Original post by Bonged.
I'm sorry, did you have a report to link me to?

"Gangsters are grooming young girls through the social networking websites and then using intimidation in a bid to recruit them, a report by children's services bosses at Manchester council claims.
"

http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereveningnews/news/s/1134288_gangs_groom_girls_of_12_on_web

Also, irrelevant. One act of PC doesn't mean everything can be blamed on PC, especially when the police actually aren't pc and do target ethnic miniroties who look like they could be in gangs.
Reply 389
No, which is why I asked you to make the connection.

Irrelevant. We're discussing your towerblock in Brent, in case you've forgotten. There is no local paper, blog, online article, etc. that has photographs or incident reports? Not a single resident in that towerblock has any record of the issue? This is not exactly something that can be hidden: these gangs are surrounded by windows through which people can make recordings.

Answer my question: what is British culture?

And what happens in Glasgow?

Amongst socially-estranged, teenage gangs?

Then on what basis is British culture existent in reality? Things that are 'real' or tangible are empirically verifiable and can be defined.

Then how specific is 'culture' and what traits comprise any given 'culture'?

I don't believe various psychological traits can be reified and given a name or category, but you do. Why are you asking me to define what I do not believe can be defined?

This is why this discussion doesn't get anywhere: you posit 'culture' exists in reality, but still refuse to identify it. Why can't you direct me to something that is real and perceivable? It should be a simple task.

Erm. Large racist gangs constitute a problem with social cohesion.

Not so. Evidence as to how it is possible to cover up such things. Surely industrial scale child rape is a bit harder to cover up than yute gangs in culturally enriched areas?

Nope, I wanted the corroboration remember?

Dunno. How much street mugging is there in glasgow?

Kind of. They grow up. See the gangster "Baldy" of Kriss Donald fame.

Like morality? Or do you also have a problem with morality existing?

With you. With normal people - not petty pedants, it's quite possible to have a mutually beneficial conversation about the subject.

Because culture is an abstract notion , like morality.
Reply 390
Original post by Wilfred Little
How is that even relevant?

I'm wondering what it is? You said England doesn't have much of a culture. I pointed out that the majority of the world engages in forms of English culture - football for example, reading Shakespeare or learning the work of Charles Darwin. I'm just wondering what this great Nigerian culture is that you are saying will enrich us so much?
Reply 391
"Gangsters are grooming young girls through the social networking websites and then using intimidation in a bid to recruit them, a report by children's services bosses at Manchester council claims.
"

http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereveningnews/news/s/1134288_gangs_groom_girls_of_12_on_web

Also, irrelevant. One act of PC doesn't mean everything can be blamed on PC, especially when the police actually aren't pc and do target ethnic miniroties who look like they could be in gangs.

.... :s-smilie: . I meant like an official police report or something. The article doesn't even mention the sectarian aspect.

What about greater manchester polices assertion that the rochdale case had "nothing to do with race or religion". It got big laughs in Rochdale.
Reply 392
Original post by Faustu
I'm wondering what it is? You said England doesn't have much of a culture. I pointed out that the majority of the world engages in forms of English culture - football for example, reading Shakespeare or learning the work of Charles Darwin. I'm just wondering what this great Nigerian culture is that you are saying will enrich us so much?

419 scams? :biggrin:
Original post by Bonged.
.... :s-smilie: . I meant like an official police report or something. The article doesn't even mention the sectarian aspect.

What about greater manchester polices assertion that the rochdale case had "nothing to do with race or religion". It got big laughs in Rochdale.

That's an official report by the council, it makes more sense for the report to come from them than the police considering the lack of people coming forward/arrests. And there's no evidence of a sectarian aspect involved generally. Care to provide such evidence?
Reply 394
That's an official report by the council, it makes more sense for the report to come from them than the police considering the lack of people coming forward/arrests. And there's no evidence of a sectarian aspect involved generally. Care to provide such evidence?

Loads of girls complained, but were hushed about it.

Are you joking?

Evidence? Erm look at who the criminals are and who the victims are.
Original post by Faustu

How do you know football originated in England? A look at wikipedia shows many different cultures playing a similar sport. Reading the works of Shakespeare isn't engaging in English culture just like flying a Chinese airline isn't engaging in Chinese culture. Same with Charles Darwin. Individual success can't be restricted to any culture.
Original post by Organ
I'm a medical student and have seen some inspiring teenage mothers, really great people. Young people are very capable of parenting if they choose to do so. I don't know why people decided it's so very wrong... I can promise you that some of the most inspiring people I have met have been teenage mothers.

are you serious? do you honestly think teenage pregnancy is a good thing?
Original post by brownchocolateice
Wow so you posted as anonymous on relationships to post on what is really a non-relationship topic i.e. your intolerance to non-English speaking cultures. If you are against people who are bilingual, or those who prefer to speak their natural tongue a language they are comfortable with, then why don't you date a white English girl? You'll have no English problems then. If you choose to date someone from a diverse background then you should try to accept their language as well. Why should your gf know English and you not know her language?

There are English people living in countries such as India, Ghana etc for many decades and they don't learn the local tongue. I don't hear of mass debate against them. What about the English who lived in Pakistan and India for 200 years. They did not integrate, accept local customs, speak the local language. Asians have been here 50 years and yet you can't cope with them wanting to retain their identity. Have you ever thought about how your ancestors imposed their foreign traditions and will on them and how many cultures you displaced? How treasures and valuables like Kohinoor were stolen from those lands?

btw i live in Aus so you can't say you're going to deport me cos im not being English enough. What about food? If you only want English everything then you should not eat asian foods like vindaloo or chicken tikka etc. They are not English foods. Doesn't that mean you should only stick to SHepherd's pie or bread and butter or people in asian countries should not like to eat pastries etc.

If your gf doesn't push your culture at you then don't worry. Just run away and have your relationship with her. Tell her to cut relationship with her parents if she doesn't want to deal with their imposing ways or even compromise. She should also not accept excess help or monetary support from her parents if she wants to reject everything about them.

I actually believe the vocal anti-immigrant lot on tsr is a minority. My friend who is indian is dating a white girl. Both families like each other and both make attempts to learn each other's culture. My friend's gf wants to learn his language and get more involved. Even attempting to do that is praiseworthy.
If you don't want to attempt to learn a new culture then shouldn't you date within a culturally homogenous group such as yourself. I have Chinese friends who speak Mandarin on the phone. I don't understand but i don't resent it.

This is not to say people shouldn't speak English they should but they shouldn't forget their own heritage. Why you pick on Indians or Ghanians is beyond me. What about Irish, or Scottish people proud of their non-ENglish background. What about English people living in Aus for past 20 years and still waving the English flags and supporting the English team. If they love England so much they should move back, why come here. Same for Australians who support Australia but live in England.
Why prejudice against ethnic minorities who are not white and want to retain their cultural heritage? That smacks of racism.

You live in Australia you should bloody support Aus then mate. That's what you would think but i think they should support who they identify with as long as they contribute to the country of residence. Besides, coming to a country at age 50-60 and having responsibility to take care of grandchildren as many asian grandparents who come here do, often means they don't have a chance to fully learn english. Why should they at that age? They don't work here and the fact they act as role of carer, allowing their children to work, means they contribute to society

Out of + rep to give.
Reply 398
How do you know football originated in England? A look at wikipedia shows many different cultures playing a similar sport. Reading the works of Shakespeare isn't engaging in English culture just like flying a Chinese airline isn't engaging in Chinese culture. Same with Charles Darwin. Individual success can't be restricted to any culture.

Could you answer his question as to which aspects of Nigerian culture we should be eagerly embracing?
Original post by Bonged.
Loads of girls complained, but were hushed about it.

Are you joking?

Evidence? Erm look at who the criminals are and who the victims are.

Exactly, hence it's the council (child services) that's reporting on it but not the police.

Man you're really are dumb. If you know a thing about sociological methodology then you wouldn't make stupid statements like that yet you still criticize sociology as unscientific.

White women are the majority in this country. They are the most vulnerable group, in terms of numbers, hence these men were looking for vulnerable women which white women fit the criteria thus makes sense for them to choose white women majority of the time.

You have to prove that they were targeting white women because they're white. Most ethnic criminals victim's are white. OMG are ethnic minorities targeting the white man because his white?

Latest

Trending

Trending