The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Getting upset with the lack of English-speaking people in England.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by im so academic
When you think of an English person, you think of a white person. A black person cannot be English. An Asian person cannot be English. A Latin American person cannot be English.
No I don't, unless you ask me to think of an ethnically English person. I can't conceive 'an English person' outside of this condition, as there is no essential, distinct quality of an English person created by the incidental circumstance of residing in the geographical territory known as 'England'.

Yeah, they would use some random language from some hindu-indu land so English speakers couldn't understand.
So if they were forced to speak English you think they would announce what they're doing knowing the general public can hear them?
Reply 581
Original post by im so academic
But what if they refuse to integrate and refuse to speak the language to an adequate standard?

That would be entirely detrimental to their life. I highly doubt that anybody that can't speak English in this country would turn down a chance to learn it.
Reply 582
Original post by whyumadtho
No I don't, unless you ask me to think of an ethnically English person. I can't conceive 'an English person' outside of this condition, as there is no essential, distinct quality of an English person created by the incidental circumstance of residing in the geographical territory known as 'England'.

So if they were forced to speak English you think they would announce what they're doing knowing the general public can hear them?

...you just said otherwise. You said that an ethnically african person born in England would be English in your view. But not culturally as that doesn't exist in your opinion. So in what way? Geographically? You've just said geography doesn't bestow essential, distinct attributes to individuals. so.....
It's not enough to start an investigation unless there is substantial evidence from a reliable source that can link a person to a conspiracy. If they weren't shouting or divulging their secrets to uninvolved parties they wouldn't have been caught. The ones that were recorded would have been deciphered anyway.

My link shows otherwise

They could simply masquerade as tourists. Should all tourists be required to speak in proficient English?

Thered be far far fewer tourists from problem countries than there is immigrants who speak their mother tongue. Tourists dont tend to come from terrorist countries.

How does it make it easier for them?

They dont have to train terrorist agents to blend in like people did before.

The modern equivalent doesn't have to bother because we are in a state of world peace and being of a different nationality doesn't invoke suspicion. They could simply be tourists.

World peace? What planet are you living on?
Original post by Bonged.
aww.. that is convenient.
In what way? If you can find an example of where I've violated that principle I'd be happy to see it.

The territory itself, sure. But the people within, what makes them English?
Residing within and identifying with the territory.

I could self refer to myself as a Chinese person, doesn't change what the rest of chinese people will identify me as.
You are begging the question by stating the Chinese people will not see you as Chinese. What are 'Chinese people'?

You're in a corner really, aren't you. :teehee:
I'm flattered when you adopt my style of speech. :biggrin:
Reply 585
In what way? If you can find an example of where I've violated that principle I'd be happy to see it.

Residing within and identifying with the territory.

You are begging the question by stating the Chinese people will not see you as Chinese. What are 'Chinese people'?

I'm flattered when you adopt my style of speech. :biggrin:

You are in the pakistani, bangladeshi, etc societies daily asking them to define those respective cultures? I apologise.

Identifying in what way? Culturally? Obviously not.

Let's stick to your inconsistencies.

Cool.
Original post by green.tea
My link shows otherwise
Nothing in your link refutes what I said. I strongly doubt a terrorist would shout in a dilapidated house where they are aware there are people in earshot.

Thered be far far fewer tourists from problem countries than there is immigrants who speak their mother tongue. Tourists dont tend to come from terrorist countries.
A transient layperson could not learn of a person's specific origin or circumstances and conclude they are from a 'terrorist country'.

They dont have to train terrorist agents to blend in like people did before.
They don't have to blend in, as they could simply masquerade as tourists.

World peace? What planet are you living on?
One where people are not arrested for not speaking English or wearing a certain dress.
Reply 587
Couldn't be bothered to read the whole thread, it's 11 pages long. But just wanted to say this:

Hi, I'm British and I've got culture.

Carry on. :wink:
Original post by Bonged.
...you just said otherwise. You said that an ethnically african person born in England would be English in your view. But not culturally as that doesn't exist in your opinion. So in what way? Geographically? You've just said geography doesn't bestow essential, distinct attributes to individuals. so.....
What are you talking about? im so academic said 'English = white person'. I am saying I cannot conceive any distinct physical traits to associate with English people, as my conception of what it is to be English does not necessitate the possession of any given physical trait.
Reply 589
Original post by willbee
Couldn't be bothered to read the whole thread, it's 11 pages long. But just wanted to say this:

Hi, I'm British and I've got culture.

Carry on. :wink:

Expect to be asked to define it shortly. The questioner will not ask the same of non-British people who claim to possess their own unique cultures though, just British.
Reply 590
What are you talking about? im so academic said 'English = white person'. I am saying I cannot conceive any distinct physical traits to associate with English people, as my conception of what it is to be English does not necessitate the possession of any given physical trait.

"as there is no essential, distinct quality of an English person created by the incidental circumstance of residing in the geographical territory known as 'England"

So... what makes anyone here English come to think of it?
Original post by Bonged.
You are in the pakistani, bangladeshi, etc societies daily asking them to define those respective cultures? I apologise.
...No. :confused: I'm not in the English or British societies (if they exist) either. You won't find this sentiment outside of an intellectual debate setting where such discourse is encouraged.

Identifying in what way? Culturally? Obviously not.
Calling themselves English, which necessarily denotes an identification with the geographical territory known as 'England'.

Let's stick to your inconsistencies.
We must define the premise before ascertaining the conclusion or your reasoning is circular.
Original post by Bonged.
"as there is no essential, distinct quality of an English person created by the incidental circumstance of residing in the geographical territory known as 'England"

So... what makes anyone here English come to think of it?
I made that statement in the context of identifying a distinct physical trait essential to Britons. "Residing in the geographical territory known as 'England'" is a condition in itself; im so academic was suggesting there are distinct physical conditions alongside this.
Nothing in your link refutes what I said. I strongly doubt a terrorist would shout in a dilapidated house where they are aware there are people in earshot.

You said "It's not enough to start an investigation" id say the fact that thats wrong refutes what you said quite strongly.

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=AlBYw53p9f4C&pg=PA337&lpg=PA337&dq=overheard+conversation+criminal&source=bl&ots=XXOp6SxLlr&sig=z49wATbHw14FLbkGtjWL-LTFc-Q&hl=en&sa=X&ei=pZjfT5_TEOqS0QWH6eXsCg&ved=0CFQQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=overheard%20conversation%20criminal&f=false

A transient layperson could not learn of a person's specific origin or circumstances and conclude they are from a 'terrorist country'.

My point is that tourists come from australia and france. Not afghanistan.

They don't have to blend in, as they could simply masquerade as tourists.

Aint no afghan tourists. The tiny number would therefore be treat with suspicion same as our plane spotters would be if they went to iran. Theres a limit to stuff a tourist can do without rousing suspicion. Buying a bunch of fertiliser would seem weird for example.

One where people are not arrested for not speaking English or wearing a certain dress.

And one where anyone can waltz in here and openly plot our demise because of people like you.
Reply 594
...No. :confused: I'm not in the English or British societies (if they exist) either. You won't find this sentiment outside of an intellectual debate setting where such discourse is encouraged.

Calling themselves English, which necessarily denotes an identification with the geographical territory known as 'England'.

We must define the premise before ascertaining the conclusion or your reasoning is circular.

You slimy pedant. Why doesn't their claim to have a culture and their collectivism offend you as much as similar, British claims? Just a coincidence?

A spatial identification, nothing more. By this logic once I step off the plane into South Korea I become a Korean person.

I'm not interested. Let's get to the bottom of why you aren't on the various cultural societies daily frantically asking for definitions of various cultures first. :holmes:
Original post by Bonged.
Expect to be asked to define it shortly. The questioner will not ask the same of non-British people who claim to possess their own unique cultures though, just British.
Nope. And you already know my views on the notion of 'black culture'.
Reply 596
I made that statement in the context of identifying a distinct physical trait essential to Britons. "Residing in the geographical territory known as 'England'" is a condition in itself; im so academic was suggesting there are distinct physical conditions alongside this.

Oh right. So residing in England does bestow certain attributes, non-physical of course - which must be identifiable in order to associate people with the geographic entity. What are these attributes?
Reply 597
Original post by Riderz
That just shows how naive you are. England has a fantastic culture; our values and morals are looked upon the world over as being fair and reasonable. You only have to spend a very short time abroad to see the UK's influence and culture when viewed from the outside.

Its not about making feel unwelcome - if they want to live here they should want to learn the language. Otherwise it just looks like they are just coming for the benefits, which lets face it, plenty of them are. People come here to take advantage of the benefits of being British - the NHS, the social security, what jobs there are available. We are unable to stop people from Europe coming across and having expensive operations done on the NHS. Go to Lithuania and try and get free heathcare from their government. Doesnt happen.

Its a human rights problem - we have lost control of our own borders and our own national security in an effort to please Europe. The whole issue about deporting preachers of hate is a joke. In what world are we not allowed to deport someone who is rallying his followers to blow up UK buildings and citizens?! His home country will happily accept him, we want rid of him but the EU court of human rights says we're not allowed. *******s to the EU, if one person dies because of something he says what about their Human Rights. In plenty of countries he would be in prison for the rest of his life, or put to death - and in plenty of other countries he would have been deported the moment he was convicted, to serve his jail time in his own countries prisons.

Your argument was almost there but unfortunately you started weakly. You call another user naive for not recognising what you believe to be a culture....but you failed to identify...please, correct me if im wrong?

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100
Reply 598
For those who think that black & Asian people cannot be English:

What if England became an independent country tomorrow?

Would they suddenly become English overnight?
Reply 599
Nope. And you already know my views on the notion of 'black culture'.

:rofl:

That must have been hard for you.

That you think that it's pernicious? Most people do. A culture based simply on skin colour is obviously going to be base.

Latest

Trending

Trending