The Student Room Group

Royal Veterinary College or University of Liverpool

I've received two offers for Veterinary Medicine/Science from RVC and Liverpool...and I really like both of them!

Can anyone (current students or graduates) give me pros and cons/advice/opinions about either or both?

Thank yooou!! :biggrin:
I'm in the same situation, but with RVC and Bristol! Some things I've thought about with London are:
-I love how its only vet students - e.g. The veterinary specific library
-Three years on the out of town campus - implies a lot of hands on experience?
-Very expensive!!
-Would be fun/exciting living in London
-Can work in the US with a BVetMed degree
(-Also I fell in love with London when I went to visit it!)

However, I've read some unpleasant things on some older threads - such as public transport around Hawkshead is awful but you're not allowed a car, stories of crime (stabbing in Camden, rape in Hawkshead?!?), that friends can go a bit too crazy around exam time, and the social life isn't all it's cracked up to be. If anyone could give any information about whether or not there is truth behind some of these bad points, it would be much appreciated!!
Liverpool is amazing, the staff are awesome, as is the night life and social side of the vet school, lots of sports teams, experience. The only negative things are the support for some modules isn't great, buses are awful, and the vet school is getting knocked down over summer but they're planning a new one.
Liverpool hands down.
Original post by skatealexia
...and the vet school is getting knocked down ...

That made me giggle.:colondollar:

Anyway I'm also trying to choose between Liverpool, Bristol and RVC. Leaning towards RVC simply because I'd be able to live at home for the first two years and keep my four legged babies with me, but trying to consider other factors too so I'm also interested in any advice people can impart on this thread!
Reply 5
Original post by Mimi10
I'm in the same situation, but with RVC and Bristol! Some things I've thought about with London are:
-I love how its only vet students - e.g. The veterinary specific library
-Three years on the out of town campus - implies a lot of hands on experience?
-Very expensive!!
-Would be fun/exciting living in London
-Can work in the US with a BVetMed degree
(-Also I fell in love with London when I went to visit it!)

However, I've read some unpleasant things on some older threads - such as public transport around Hawkshead is awful but you're not allowed a car, stories of crime (stabbing in Camden, rape in Hawkshead?!?), that friends can go a bit too crazy around exam time, and the social life isn't all it's cracked up to be. If anyone could give any information about whether or not there is truth behind some of these bad points, it would be much appreciated!!

I'm a current RVC student.

First..the plus points you have said are all good points to consider. RVC only do vet related course - so that makes them good at what they do. So things like there being plenty of vet stuff in the library, the whole college being centred about vet things, the vet course timetable and workload, labs etc.

Three years out at HH - this is because years 3 to 5 are clinical years, and most of the clinicians are based out there, as is the clinical skills centre etc. You will go out to HH in the first two years a bit for animal handling classes as well. Year 3 and the beginning of year 4 is mainly lecture based, but with clinical skills practicals interspersed within it (so things like gowning, gloving, suturing, anaesthesia machine, auscultation practicals with cows/horses/dogs etc).

Expensive - yes, rent is more expensive in London than other areas of the country. But this is only for two years, rent becomes a lot cheaper in Potters Bar. Your maintenance loan will be bigger to take into account that you are in London, yes, you have to pay this back at some point, but it means it isn't a problem now. And it is worth it in my opinion to live in London for a bit!

Living in London for a couple of years is good - I'm not really a city person, and I'm still glad I lived there for a bit. Having places in London on your doorstep to visit is good, night life is good (if that's what you want), good shopping, plenty of places to visit - landmarks, london zoo, shows, etc etc...def enough to keep you busy for a couple of years!!

The degree from the RVC is AVMA, MRCVS and EAEVE accredited - so basically you could work in America/Canada/Europe/UK/Australia etc...which to me is a big plus point. It means you have a lot of options open to you if you want them!

Right...you're other questions:

Transport around HH. Most of the vet students tend to live in Potters Bar, which has a train station with regular trains to Kings Cross - so you can be back in London within 20mins. There is a free RVC shuttle bus from the train station and a few other stops around Potters Bar to Hawkshead campus about every hour Mon to Fri. It is also only about a 25 min walk/short cycle from campus to the train station. Transport is much better around our HH campus than it is at some of the other vet schools rural campuses.

Car wise - the problem used to be about parking on campus at HH. There has been a new student car park opened this year though, so that is much improved. You can definitely get a parking permit when you are on rotations in 4th/5th year. 3rd years have to apply for one, and it depends how many people apply, but I am pretty sure that most of the people who applied got one this year. Although tbh, it is easier and cheaper to get the shuttle bus - so most people do that in the week. So cars really aren't a problem :-)

Going crazy around exam time? I think that is a bit of an occupational hazard with the vet course anywhere. In general vet students are all going to be very driven, focussed, high achievers who want good grades, probably bit of a perfectionist type - not going to settle for not doing their best etc. It's pretty much what got us all here in the first place. Different people will deal with exam stress differently - but, yes, there will be quite a few people who get stressed/very stressed, and there will be people who manage to deal with exams more calmly. But that is going to be any vet school I think! It is just a case of finding how you cope with exams and maybe avoiding people who wind you up around that time!

Social life - again, I think most/all vet schools are going to have a more limited social life compared to courses where you have loads of spare time! But, there is still plenty of time for a social life - sports clubs/teams on wednesday afternoons (and lots of associated socials with these), other clubs (zoological/farm animal/equine etc....) events with university of london union, various SU organised events during the year (in either of our campus bars, or elsewhere), freshers week, RAG week, christmas ball, RAG week ball, sports ball, may ball....I would say there is plenty to keep you busy!

Stabbing in Camden? I think I heard about this last summer. There are things like this is most big cities if you look. Yes, there are things like this happen in London, but it is a huge city, you can't expect there to not be any crime, it doesn't generally involve students though...most of it tends to be more gang related crime, rather than total out of the blue things. I don't know about the rape at HH? I have a feeling this may be more of a rumour/scaremongering. There is a path along the side of the railway track which is a shortcut from college to Potters Bar - and is sort of colloquially termed the 'rape track', mainly due to it being a bit scary in the dark (a long, unlit, deserted track). But I am pretty sure there wasn't actually anything happened to give it that name, more just it being called it colloquially. Again though, most of the vet school rural campuses are going to have similar dark country lanes etc if you want to take shortcuts to places!

Hope that answers your questions...if you have anything else, just ask :-)
Reply 6
Original post by skatealexia
Liverpool is amazing, the staff are awesome, as is the night life and social side of the vet school, lots of sports teams, experience. The only negative things are the support for some modules isn't great, buses are awful, and the vet school is getting knocked down over summer but they're planning a new one.

The buses aren't that bad just some of them :P, the trains are quite reliable though I didn't know that the uni was getting knocked down they didn't say anything about it last year in the open day
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by kookabura

Thank you for your in depth reply! I've always loved the RVC, and thought some of the negative things I had heard about it were unrealistic or exaggerated, particularly those in very old threads, so I'm glad everything's been cleared up. Think it probably has the edge over Bristol for me now :smile: thanks for your time!
Buses are good past 9 o clock in the morning :P.
Reply 9
Thank you! That's really helpful, I really liked everything I saw when I went to RVC for my interview...it seemed really student orientated with amazing facilities.

But quite a few of the people whose opinion I've asked have said Liverpool straight away, I don't know whether this is just because of personal preference or any significant reason..

Original post by kookabura
What's the accommodation like at RVC, i saw the rooms that were right on campus which were nice...but what's the likelihood of getting a room there? and how far away is the other accommodation?

Thanks
(sorry i have soooo many questions :biggrin: )
Original post by superhan
Thank you! That's really helpful, I really liked everything I saw when I went to RVC for my interview...it seemed really student orientated with amazing facilities.

But quite a few of the people whose opinion I've asked have said Liverpool straight away, I don't know whether this is just because of personal preference or any significant reason..

What's the accommodation like at RVC, i saw the rooms that were right on campus which were nice...but what's the likelihood of getting a room there? and how far away is the other accommodation?

Thanks
(sorry i have soooo many questions :biggrin: )

Most people live in halls in their first year at RVC. College Grove is next to the campus in Camden (so literally 30seconds walk to college). Flats of about 6/7 people, ensuite, pretty standard uni halls rooms - single bed, desk etc, kitchen shared between the flat. People generally like these because of how close they are to RVC. Mary Brancker House is about 20/25 min walk away in Kentish Town. This is owned by Unite, who have a bit of a reputation for being useless at dealing with anything - but apparently have improved a lot this year from what I've heard. Rooms are again ensuite, pretty standard - this is a bit newer than College Grove. Also the kitchen has an extra social area bit added onto it with a couple of sofas, which is quite a nice addition. The final hall's option is Intercollegiate halls, which are owned by the University of London, so whereas MaryB and College Grove are just vet students, the Uni of London halls have a mix of people, generally there will be at least one more vet student in your flat. These are mainly in the area about Euston station, so again about 20/25min walk from college. These aren't ensuite and are all catered, which is a bit difference and a decision maker for a lot of people. If you want to be catered, or self catered.

Generally everyone who applies for halls will get them, but may not get their first choice. People are allocated in order of their distance from home, so people who live in London/outskirts are probably a bit less likely to get their first choice than people coming from a few hours away. I'm pretty sure most people get their first or second choice though - and you generally end up liking wherever you are anyway.

Second year most people tend to rent in London somewhere, and then 3rd year+ people tend to move out to Potter's Bar. Some people rent houses in/around Potter's Bar, some people have moved into the new student halls on campus (which is really nice!)

Does that answer your question?

In terms of most people saying Liverpool....it does tend to be personal preference and often people just liking wherever they have been to! I'd say RVC, but no doubt if I had been to another vet school, would probably say there! Bear in mind that very few people have actually experienced more than one vet school, so will say theirs is the best, but not be able to compare it to anywhere else. Also, they will criticise other vet schools, having probably never been there, and just be saying things they have heard on the grapevine.

To make a decision I would say visit the places if you haven't already - both campuses preferably, and look at the cities/areas they are in. Talk to people and ask their opinion, but get reasons as to why as well. Ask the people who are saying Liverpool why, what do they think is so good about it. Ask other people why RVC. Then compare what people have said, with your feelings for what place you like. At the end of the day you will get a good vet degree from either of them - it is more about which place will suit you better whilst you are getting it. And if one opens/closes doors for you in the future more than another does.
Reply 11
That's brilliant :smile: Thanks, you've given a really well rounded argument for it all, which has been very helpful!!

I firmed RVC today :smile: Now to revise...!
Reply 12
Hey, im currently a gateway student at rvc but got an offer for Liverpool to transfer, i know the fees will be the same if i move and i have since got into Mary B for next year but basically i do not know what to do, feel like i do not fit in at rvc and wonde ring would liverpool not be the whole cure but apart of the cure. RVC is a really wierd uni and not sure what to do. P.s my deadline to reply is on Wednday 9th =/
I withdrew from RVC after my offer at Liverpool, so I have no idea whether I would have been accepted (I did have an interview at RVC). I did once attend some lectures at RVC and saw fetal material which was interesting and the staff were happy to answer questions at the practical & seemed quite approachable.

However, the reasons why I chose Liv and really like it here:
- Really good chance to meet non-vet people in halls. Next year I am living with one vet and 2 nonvets and feel that is better than just being around vets all the time (more chance to talk about different topics not relating to our lecturers, deadlines etc... )
- Really cheap compared to London! I don't want a bigger loan to pay off later if I can help it! I currently live in an en-suite, all inclusive but self catered for £91/week during term time only. Next year I'm on an all bills included (inc braodband) 4 bed shared house for £75/week 15mins walk from Uni (12 mo contract). I am not sure how this compared to costs at RVC? Taxis fares are dead cheap in Liverpool - cheaper than for me back home anyway.
- I've been to London loads of time as I live close to there, and wanted to visit a city I hadn't been too
- Train services are brilliant to get you home or to other cities, and within walking distance from campus
- Lots of place to go for a night out, many within close distance to each other
- I like the culture and arts here too (always something going on, recently we had a street performance with 15m high giants , many galleries, museums etc.). London has this as well, obviously, but I didn't realise that Liv had so many places to visit as well until I came.
- We have really good access to fresh specimens for dissection classes, and don't need to reuse them as much as I heard other vet school do but not sure how this compares to RVC? There are normally around 4-5 people per specimin so really small group sizes
- We are soon to have a new major investment in a new on campus vet building, though no idea when this will be completed!
- I liked the look of all our 3 hospitals (equine, farm & SA) when I visited Liverpool.
- Smaller class sizes than RVC, so I felt that would be less intimidating to ask questions in lectures etc.

Best of luck deciding! Have fun in your vet studies and I'm sure you'll love wherever you go :smile:
Reply 14
Hi, wondering if anyone could help me with a decision? Im currently a RVC gateway student that can carry on to the 5 year BVetMed course but also have an offer for BVetMed at liverpool Does anyone have any pro's and Con's about the 2 courses?Also, is liverpool less exam heavy compared to the RVC?

The main thing that is worrying me is that if I go on to the liverpool course my previous AHEMS wont count and I'll only have 2 years to complete the 12 weeks rather than 3!

Any advice is much appreciated, thanks! x
Original post by DottyEm
Hi, wondering if anyone could help me with a decision? Im currently a RVC gateway student that can carry on to the 5 year BVetMed course but also have an offer for BVetMed at liverpool Does anyone have any pro's and Con's about the 2 courses?Also, is liverpool less exam heavy compared to the RVC?

The main thing that is worrying me is that if I go on to the liverpool course my previous AHEMS wont count and I'll only have 2 years to complete the 12 weeks rather than 3!

Any advice is much appreciated, thanks! x

Please don't resurrect old threads. To answer your question, I am a bit outdated to be answering now, but PM me with your specific questions for Liverpool. x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending