The Student Room Group

why are so many black people underachieving

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by The Marshall
They teach the basic stuff. Not the highly developed information that is reserved in Collages and Uni.

And how come many authors write about their characters gaining intelligance from their parents?

It is a known fact that most authors have split personalities, also what genre are your talking about? Fiction? Non-fiction? Also the school system has failed when i was at Secondary school (2001 - 2005) I was taught Latin, Spanish, French and Oriental studies (Japanese, Chinese (Mandarin & Cantonese) Korean) Science (Biology, BioMed, Physics, Chemisty) English (English Media, English Literature, English Language) Obviously here were other classes aswell and no this WAS NOT a private school. but we were a school of Academia, Classics and Sport. 2 years after i left it became a private school.
Tho iq is the most effective way to measure ones intelligence but environment is one of the important factors. Statistically speaking: black people does have a lower iq. This is because countries in africa many people don't have access to education.
Black people who received education are smart, and academic! In fact they are smarter than a lot people.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Actually I think that should be developed. I like this point, because it is not much that education is emphasised a lot.

Yep, I do think this is the case though ! Like I have a black friend who was brought up by a teacher, and therefore the importance of education was drilled into her, and she's been very successful. As an Asian, education is definitely a priority, and my parents had high expectations. I think success is a very individual thing, and good parenting and schooling is the most important factor, although some schools are just bad, and parents have no way of being able to get round this.
Reply 183
Imo its due to a lack of positive back figures like for me ALL of my family are academics so this is obviously expected of me but more importantly i know nothing can stop me

In American however tough a country it is its brimming with black people at top levels of society so the black kids know they can make it not only that they have someone black who is willing ti help them

I like this country but id rather experience university in American because there they have more black colleges,black students and professors it would be the total opposite of uni life here

Not forgetting some blacks are lazy its not racist to say it,i don't care that imo black I'll strive to become great no matter the racial attitudes
Reply 184
OP

Step up and be a man why must you work for someone else ?

If your desperately looking for work i suggest buying a van and moving items for people its not glamorous but atleast you'll have income

All businesses start from humble beginnings so why not start your own ?
Original post by JollyGreenAtheist
x

Some of your points I agree with, but I take issue with the following:

- The ethnocentric curriculum. Some suggest that the curriculum is geared exclusively towards white british culture and language, thereby alienating minorities.

Culture and language are largely borne out of tradition. As the historical make-up of Britain has been 'white' over the centuries, then it is an inevitability that such themes will be central to a curriculum. This is not limited to Britain - most nations have a national bias in their educational curriculum. It is simply impossible to focus on all the history, culture and language of every child's background, and I am sure the Government would argue that a focus on British 'values' and history is positive for national unity.

- Institutional racism. Various studies found that schools do not provide adequate measures for students whose parents speak another language, making communication between parents and teachers difficult.

Are you telling me that not spending masses of resources on translation facilities for numerous languages is 'racism'?
Reply 186
I don't beleive in underachievement. If students of all races and ethncity are provided with the right type of support and encouragement , they will succeed.

So your question should be : what type of support can be given to learners in the black/african/asian communities and draw on their experiences good and bad to help others. We all want to see our children achieve their best.
Original post by Dee Leigh
:yep: There is often this belief which black children are taught.

Totally agree!!! This is ridiculous, been to a few friends/family parties and met a few black men who seemed apprehensive about revealing their jobs and start off by talking crap about everyone is against them which is total bull****. Even after spilling all this ****e at the end they will still not tell you what they do bt say they are like a 'jack of all trades' whatever that is supposed to mean lol Having said that tho I have seen a few family friends go to uni in like their 40s to try and better themselves and equip themselves in order to get a good job

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Wildfire S A510e
How the heck am I racially abusing the glorious white people? Not like as if White people used to racially abuse Asians before that.

Wow. So you justify everything based on a specific type of racism where a few whites would attack a few non-whites?
Reply 189
There is a rising number of black / asian lecturers in universities and i hope this continues to rise. They have a whole portfolio of qualifications, research papers and experience behind them. There is too much under estimtion going on in society.

Children need to be taught at an early age - what people expect from them and what they are capable of .. are two different things.
Original post by Snagprophet
Wow. So you justify everything based on a specific type of racism where a few whites would attack a few non-whites?

A few whites? Back in 2001, there were race riots. Then in the 1950s, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s until recently there was there a huge amount of racism going on back there in those time periods I have listed.
Original post by adark876
It is a known fact that most authors have split personalities, also what genre are your talking about? Fiction? Non-fiction? Also the school system has failed when i was at Secondary school (2001 - 2005) I was taught Latin, Spanish, French and Oriental studies (Japanese, Chinese (Mandarin & Cantonese) Korean) Science (Biology, BioMed, Physics, Chemisty) English (English Media, English Literature, English Language) Obviously here were other classes aswell and no this WAS NOT a private school. but we were a school of Academia, Classics and Sport. 2 years after i left it became a private school.

I'm talking more fiction like. Oriental studies? They certainly don't teach that nowadays. Shame, such good schools are not available to the Public, but certainly for the rich it is, then the people who have smart kids have to go to state schools which don't do them any good except their exams and grades. All those sneaky rich people get the good schools, and we're here stuck with the same old degrading public school system which is rotting day by day.
Original post by Presenttime
Yep, I do think this is the case though ! Like I have a black friend who was brought up by a teacher, and therefore the importance of education was drilled into her, and she's been very successful. As an Asian, education is definitely a priority, and my parents had high expectations. I think success is a very individual thing, and good parenting and schooling is the most important factor, although some schools are just bad, and parents have no way of being able to get round this.

Exactly, what type of Asian are you? Chinese? Japanese? Korean? Indian? Bangladeshi?

Education is the first priority for Asians. Without studying, you cannot lead a life, but at the same time, learn to have a break and take some fun out.
Poverty.
Also, to show a video, of why Education is emphasized in Asian Culture.

[video="youtube;cIDuGp1OoKE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIDuGp1OoKE&feature=related[/video]
I spent a lot of time reading what people had to say on this subject and i even planned a really good speech,but i see that some people have such a fixed mind that despite what other people have to say their minds wont be changed. So instead i will just say that if your opinion revolves around statics and correlations that you have seen, you have to remember that they dont actually give you personal responses from the people that are underachieving, so all you're left with is possibilities, But to be honest they are a lot of reasons why black people are underachieveing and it all comes down to the individual.
Exactly, what type of Asian are you? Chinese? Japanese? Korean? Indian? Bangladeshi?

Education is the first priority for Asians. Without studying, you cannot lead a life, but at the same time, learn to have a break and take some fun out.
That's a very essentialist and inherently inaccurate assertion. Education may be a priority for some Asian individuals, but you cannot state that the prioritisation of education is a necessary ethos by the incidental circumstance of being Asian.

There is no such thing as 'Asian culture', either.
I don't understand why people admonish others for making stereotypical, generalised remarks about them, yet continue to make stereotypical, generalised remarks about themselves. Stereotypes are illegitimate by their very definition, regardless of who is making them and the authority to speak about others that they purport to possessing. :rolleyes:
Reply 198
Original post by whyumadtho
Calling it 'black' or 'Jamaican' culture invokes an essentialism that suggests this culture is inherent or concomitant to 'black' or Jamaican people, which it certainly isn't; the small minority of 'black' and Jamaican people condone this activity and most are productive, law-abiding members of society. Nationwide, it's a small number of people who have committed gang-related criminal activity and the social contagion effect has perpetuated and potentiated the problem to other socioeconomically deprived persons. Every societally unpropitious trait (i.e., not harmless dialects) can be witnessed amongst ethnically British people, which indicates it is not a causally 'Jamaican problem', but something connected to and by socioeconomic deprivation, high density residences and the adolescent demographic.

I said I didn't think it was an essential definition, but I think that is the best term given what seems to be the origins of the aesthetic, language, music, attitudes of this sub-culture (hate that word but had to use it).

Yes sure it is connected to socioeconomic deprivation, I am not denying that. I am not denying that the number of criminal gangs is small, but it is a corrosive sub-culture which reduces the moral standards of these close to it (by contagion as you say) even if they are substantively law abiding. One of those standards is discipline and attitude to education. There is no place for it in the 'black culture' I am talking about, it is looked down upon, mocked.

Original post by whyumadtho

Perhaps this is simply a less favourable reflection of society's increasing individualism, which would explain its nationwide nature. Socioeconomic deprivation causes a degree of parochialism, which means these people are more likely to consider the short-term status afforded by gangs (and the recalcitrance required as a condition of entry) is preferable to the long-term commitments of education.

Yeah that makes sense from one POV.

I think teenagers etc need to feel like they belong to something too and the approval of their peers is very important. Our education system is failing in many ways, it's inadequate.
I was brought up in a completely different environment to the stereotypical low socioeconomic background that black people are associated with. I'm definitely in higher education. And I certainly know of other young black people in top unis - and a good few in Oxbridge, as opposed to what we're told in popular media. It only takes an exception and a few...
If you're told 'the system' is 'against you', you're clearly not going to do well. If you're told you supposedly have a 'lower IQ' because you're just a tad bit darker than Joe Bloggs, it may not end well. If you believe to read a book is to be 'white', you'll most likely end up in a drain - and a dirty and murky one at that.
It's clearly nurture, not nature.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending