The Student Room Group

why are so many black people underachieving

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
There are some surprisingly racist views on this thread.
Well, one reason is because black people are an ethnic minority in England. So there's bound to be less anyway. Secondly, as many people have said, it's the stereotype. But you have to remember that it's not just what white people may think, it's also what black people think. They're all 'brothers' and this whole thing comes with the rest of the stereotype, so they all, or the ones who think themselves as a 'brother', underachieve.
I find this a strange claim anyway, I went to a grammar school and there were a lot of black girls there and they were all VERY motivated. Their parents pushed them in the same way that Asian parents push their children to do well, which I think is excellent. I've never known someone take the attitude that they're black and therefore won't do well, on the contrary every black person I knew from school or at uni works/worked very hard because they want to rise above any prejudice they may experience due to their race and achieve outstanding grades instead. I was of course privileged to go to a grammar school so this may just be those children/people from my top 20 uni but I do come from london so not sure. I know far more underachieving white people though.
Because people like you persistently invoke ethnicity and collectivism as significant in what is inherently an individual endeavour.
Original post by TheLastOfUs
You're only saying that because you're black. lol.
Fact is it's the truth. So why don't you face the facts. Intelligence is mainly genetic and partly environmental.

Your original statement is just as factual as the one above.
*hint: I am not black

Also, you act as an excellent example of why your claim is not true.
I refuse to acknowledge that there are more people of the same intelligence.
Original post by infairverona
I find this a strange claim anyway, I went to a grammar school and there were a lot of black girls there and they were all VERY motivated. Their parents pushed them in the same way that Asian parents push their children to do well, which I think is excellent. I've never known someone take the attitude that they're black and therefore won't do well, on the contrary every black person I knew from school or at uni works/worked very hard because they want to rise above any prejudice they may experience due to their race and achieve outstanding grades instead. I was of course privileged to go to a grammar school so this may just be those children/people from my top 20 uni but I do come from london so not sure. I know far more underachieving white people though.

was it a single sex school? Just asking cos I hear anacdotes about west indian females being more hardworking than west indian males in school.
Original post by Joinedup
was it a single sex school? Just asking cos I hear anacdotes about west indian females being more hardworking than west indian males in school.

It was all girls yes so you may be right, I don't know
Original post by pokemontah!
what are you on about you racist?.....i am talking about indian and chinese people in britain. not in their own countries.

and no, white people are not responsible for ethnic minority underachievement in britain.

Yes they are, its not as in in the 1980s that Asians nor blacks weren't accepted into British society. Many teachers felt that Asian students couldn't acheieve anything.
Original post by Blob2491
That's absolute rubbish and stereotyping similar to saying Asians have higher IQ's. I know loads of smart and dumb blacks and Asians, and out of these people, the blacks are generally the higher achievers.

He isn't spouting unsubstantiated nonsense. There has been research. The results have shown the Jewish race have a higher natural IQ, and, Africans to have the lowest.
Original post by The Marshall
Yes they are, its not as in in the 1980s that Asians nor blacks weren't accepted into British society. Many teachers felt that Asian students couldn't acheieve anything.

do you live in britain? or are you just one of these racists who likes to racially abuse white people from other countries?
It's true that the majority of black people are underachieving but to assess why the majority are failing you have to take a look at the minority who aren't. The minority of black people who are successful in going to university etc. and those who aren't have very few differences between them. Speaking from experience, the reason a lot of the black people have underachieved is because they choose to be the product of their environment. A lot of people I went to school with have turned to money laundering, drugs and gangs. It's not always easy living in a place that's poor but the fact of the matter is if you want something badly enough, you'll go and get it. I don't believe in IQ tests as such and how a race is more intelligent than the other, but it seems like the underachievers are simply conforming to the stereotypes that they ironically want to dispel. We're lucky that in this country we don't have to pay for an education until we reach university but 10 years down the line when people who seized every opportunity given to them will reap the benefits, those who didn't will be there saying how it was because of the hardships they faced. Everyone faces hardships but instead of appearing to be the victim, these people need to grow some balls and make something of their lives. I have to say though, a lot of these underachievers are black males rather than females so maybe it's a matter of collective perception rather than an issue of race; perhaps some people are more genetically predisposed to think of themselves are victims. Either way, there are a lot of "positive discrimination" opportunities for ethnic minorities if people bother to seek them but in a 'YOLO that's the motto' generation, particularly among black males, it's not a surprise that a lot of black people are underachieving.
Original post by Sean9001
He isn't spouting unsubstantiated nonsense. There has been research. The results have shown the Jewish race have a higher natural IQ, and, Africans to have the lowest.
On average. Individuals are not averages, and individuals can privately ameliorate their intelligence if they so choose. You'll also do well to avoid conflating correlation and causation.
(edited 11 years ago)
What is it about the fact that black and mixed race people only make up around 4% of the entire UK population...

It's self-explanatory
Pretty sure it was found that white-working class children have it the worse.
Reply 114
Its because black people are VERY smart but VERY lazy. We believe that money an riches come to us for doing the bare minimum. We don't have good role models and that's it really.

Some bull' about lower iq. Shush. :biggrin:
Original post by Illuminated_A
I strongly contradict this OPINION. Inheritence is NOT inherited, you either work hard or you don't. Everybody has their place in life, a result of whether you work hard or not. We all come from the family if you go back far enough.

Whilst I also strongly disagree with the opinion of that poster, intelligence is partly inherited. Both genes and environment contribute to intelligence. The relative effect of each factor is however debatable.
Reply 116
Original post by Blob2491
That's absolute rubbish and stereotyping similar to saying Asians have higher IQ's.

They do.

I know loads of smart and dumb blacks and Asians, and out of these people, the blacks are generally the higher achievers.

Forget massive sample-sizes and legit stats, let's regress to anecdotes!
Original post by Kandy_Kain_94
Loreto by any chance?

yus ofcourse :smile:
Original post by NB_ide
They do.

Forget massive sample-sizes and legit stats, let's regress to anecdotes!

Most can come to the conclusion that IQ tests don't mean anything

Do you expect me to sample the whole black and Asian community in my area?
I'm only basing this on personal experience
Original post by ednut
why is it that there very few black people in higher education in london, ive been to quite a few open days to universitys and was surprised to see a few or even no black people in these institutions even in the jobs market you wont see many black people working in shops either, while if you were to go to the likes of brixton and lougborough you'll see pockets of the black community where they would stick together.
im not a racist as i am a black man myself, also unemployed.

discuss.......

Just because your black doesnt mean your not racist

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending