The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Why does everyone hate Birmingham?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by *Corinna*
I used to live in an area that classified as Selly Oak and it was beautiful. There was a massive park near by and the most beautiful roads with amazing houses. It was also close to the uni, maybe it wasn't the traditional selly oak area?

Selly Park, maybe?
Reply 41
I don't hate it! My sister lives there so I've visited plenty of times, and I'm off to uni there in September. Like any city, some parts are a bit grubby, other parts are nice. Just depends where you go :rolleyes:
For those who live in Brum....I'm leaving the RAF next summer to start teacher training. Where are the really nice areas to live? I'm looking to buy a house and get my daughter into a decent school.
Reply 43
Original post by laura.a.c265
For those who live in Brum....I'm leaving the RAF next summer to start teacher training. Where are the really nice areas to live? I'm looking to buy a house and get my daughter into a decent school.

Depends how big a mortgage you can get. Bournville, Edgbaston, Moseley and Selly Park are all very nice, but expensive. Kings Heath is good for shops and a couple of nice parks. Stirchely and Cotteridge are more affordable, also with very nice parks and access to River Rea cycle route.
Original post by roh
I'm often struck by the ethereal beauty of Rooster, the architectural wonder of Omco and the wondrous visual delight of Gunnies.

Actually, you're right. That is exactly how I think of those 3 establishments... especially when on a stroll back home from the Guild post-Fab :biggrin:
Reply 45
Original post by Pusheen
Hardly anyone on here knows who these bands are (except UB40 & Black Sabbath). Shame. :/ I love Godflesh, Broadcast & JKB. Do you like Jesu?

Don't know much by Godflesh, Broadcast or stuff by Justin Broadrick tbh. I'm aware of Godflesh and Justin's work cos I know Dave Cochrane, and I'm aware of Broadcast as I know Plone and some of Pram and that lot. There used to be quite a scene around Moseley/Balsall Heath back in the day.

I probably should correct these deficiencies in my musical awareness :biggrin:
Original post by zaliack
Well if that's how you think, then I know why a lot of people would hate it. Either Edinburgh, Cardiff or Belfast should be the "Second City of the UK", particularly because they all host national legislatures, similar to London and most other countries.

Second city depends on nothing but population. Given that those cities you referred too combined have only a marginally greater population than Birmingham, they have no right to be even mentioned.

Also, are you actually comparing Belfast, Cardiff and Edinburgh to London or is my brain just not working properly? :lolwut:
The problem with the Brummie accent, as with any regional accent, to be honest, is that it's often difficult to understand what is being said, and besides that it is just irritating to listen to.
Original post by Kibalchich
Selly Park, maybe?

Maybe :biggrin:
Reply 49
Original post by Astronomical
Second city depends on nothing but population. Given that those cities you referred too combined have only a marginally greater population than Birmingham, they have no right to be even mentioned.

Also, are you actually comparing Belfast, Cardiff and Edinburgh to London or is my brain just not working properly? :lolwut:

A Second City isn't just about the size, it's about how "important" it is economically, culturally and politically.
Reply 50
Original post by Astronomical
The problem with the Brummie accent, as with any regional accent, to be honest, is that it's often difficult to understand what is being said, and besides that it is just irritating to listen to.

all accents are regional, unless you count RP and that's one I can't understand!
Reply 51
Original post by zaliack
A Second City isn't just about the size, it's about how "important" it is economically, culturally and politically.

Who gets to judge this importance? How is it measured?
Haha "second city". Brummies bang on about that but other cities in the UK like Edinburgh and Manchester have much higher profiles. In many ways it's like Leeds in that it's ignored nationally despite it's large size. I admit, B'ham's reputation is probably a tad unwarranted but for love nor money will I go there to live- it is dire.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 53
Original post by Aramiss18
Haha "second city". Brummies bang on about that but other cities in the UK like Edinburgh and Manchester have much higher profiles. I admit, B'ham's reputation is probably a tad unwarranted but for love nor money will I go there to live- it is dire.

What is "dire" about it?
Reply 54
Original post by Kibalchich
Who gets to judge this importance? How is it measured?

Exactly. That's why people don't like it when people from Birmingham go on about it "deserving" respect for being the Second City, when that title is highly subjective.
Original post by py0alb
All wonderful I'm sure, but its hardly bigger and better than what is available in Bristol or Sheffield or Liverpool or Manchester or Nottingham or Leeds or Newcastle or all the other English cities that its considerably bigger than.

My point is: given its population, Birmingham should feel much bigger and more dynamic and happening than those places. It should have a host of world class museums and art galleries. But it doesn't.

What's Birmingham good at? Highstreet chain shopping and the NEC. It doesn't even have a very big airport.

I quite like Brum, I grew up near it and have been there hundreds of times.

Nail on head here. There really is no exclusive reason to go to Brum.
Reply 56
Original post by zaliack
Exactly. That's why people don't like it when people from Birmingham go on about it "deserving" respect for being the Second City, when that title is highly subjective.

Its not though is it. As has been pointed out, its the 2nd largest city.
It's grim down here mate be honest.
Reply 58
Whats to like?
Original post by TRS-T
Seriously, everyone in this country seems to hate Birmingham.

People always saying how it's a ****hole or how dumb we sound with our accents.

What have we done to deserve this ill treatment?

Birmingham deserves respect as the Second City of the UK.

I do respect it.. that why I don't make eye contact with it or approach it

Latest

Trending

Trending