The Student Room Group

Man finds out he's not the father of 3 children. Yup you guess what happens next...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by bitsandbows
Relationships are supposed to be about trust and love. Yes, that is a huge percentage- but less than half of the people in the world. What about the other 70% who are honest and loving towards their partners. That wouldn't be fair- and personally, if anyone ever asked me- they would have a pair of Size 8s up their hine.

Quite relationships have swayed from their true meaning; from 50 percent of marriages ending in divorce, to roughly 50-60 percent of both genders cheating on each other and to 10-30 percent (a very large number) relationships don't mean anuthing today. Best thing is to not to believe in some Hollywood esque fairytale love story and not get into relationships.

And it isn't fair on the 30 percent of men who are duped into paying/caring for a child that they think is theirs. After all if you look at statistics it's perfectly understandable why a man would want a DNA test. I
Original post by Ultimate1
Quite relationships have swayed from their true meaning; from 50 percent of marriages ending in divorce, to roughly 50-60 percent of both genders cheating on each other and to 10-30 percent (a very large number) relationships don't mean anuthing today. Best thing is to not to believe in some Hollywood esque fairytale love story and not get into relationships.

And it isn't fair on the 30 percent of men who are duped into paying/caring for a child that they think is theirs. After all if you look at statistics it's perfectly understandable why a man would want a DNA test. I

Sorry, who is listening to a Hollywood fairytale? My parents have been happily married for 29 years, one set of Grandparents together for 65 years, other set of Grandparents together for 52 years, aunt and uncle together for 19 years. So actually- im going off experience.

Good luck finding a woman who would be willing to be with you if that is your attitude. I wouldn't want to be with someone who has trust issues.

Maybe you shouldn't believe everything you read on the internet.
I am amazed that some people here think the man should be forced into paying child support on the basis of 'emotional attachment'

Firstly, Laws should always be based in fact and logic rather than subjective emotions and feelings, although they should not be entirely discounted.

Next, it seems to be suggested that the man should be made to pay child support simply because he developed an emotional attachment to the children, notwithstanding the fact that he was conned into this situation.

It therefore seems to suggest that if a man stays with a women and her kids long enough in a paternal role, the liability for the kids would transfer to him based on a technicality-the signing of a contract. Bear in mind that for all other forms of contracts, such a misrepresentation would automatically lead to it being voidable.

While the children might suffer, it is simply morally wrong to impose the duty of 3 children on a poor man simply based on a technicality which is entirely deviant from the standard realm of contracts. It is akin to forcing a long term boyfriend to take care of a girlfriend's child simply because they have a long term relationship.

It also seems to encourage and support women who cheat, by allowing them to use children as a shield AND a sword simultaneously. It not only benefits the cheater and the wrongdoer, it actually penalizes the innocent victim in every possible way.

Does anyone actually FEEL this is the right thing to do?
To be honest if she can't pay for the children, considering her actions, and if the father doesn't want the childreb they should be taken by her.

I don't think children should be punished for the crimes of their parents. I don't think it's right that after all this drama they should be put through the additional trauma of the foster system just because their mother's a useless cheat. I think your anger towards her and the justice system is blinding you to the fact that there are 3 innocent lives at stake here. It wasn't just the father who found out that their life was a lie and punishing the mother isn't going to do any good except make you feel gratified.
Reply 84
Original post by bitsandbows
Sorry, who is listening to a Hollywood fairytale? My parents have been happily married for 29 years, one set of Grandparents together for 65 years, other set of Grandparents together for 52 years, aunt and uncle together for 19 years. So actually- im going off experience.

Those were the good ol' times wheb marriage actually meant something. Now it means that a man is ready to lose half of his wealth.

Good luck finding a woman who would be willing to be with you if that is your attitude. I wouldn't want to be with someone who has trust issues.

Never going to get married anyway. More and more men are saying this everyday. Everyone is waking upto how biased the law is to men :smile:

Maybe you shouldn't believe everything you read on the internet.

I'm only believing in statistics not anectodal evidence. These are true facts.
Original post by Cristocracy
I am amazed that some people here think the man should be forced into paying child support on the basis of 'emotional attachment'

Firstly, Laws should always be based in fact and logic rather than subjective emotions and feelings, although they should not be entirely discounted.

Next, it seems to be suggested that the man should be made to pay child support simply because he developed an emotional attachment to the children, notwithstanding the fact that he was conned into this situation.

It therefore seems to suggest that if a man stays with a women and her kids long enough in a paternal role, the liability for the kids would transfer to him based on a technicality-the signing of a contract. Bear in mind that for all other forms of contracts, such a misrepresentation would automatically lead to it being voidable.

While the children might suffer, it is simply morally wrong to impose the duty of 3 children on a poor man simply based on a technicality which is entirely deviant from the standard realm of contracts. It is akin to forcing a long term boyfriend to take care of a girlfriend's child simply because they have a long term relationship.

It also seems to encourage and support women who cheat, by allowing them to use children as a shield AND a sword simultaneously. It not only benefits the cheater and the wrongdoer, it actually penalizes the innocent victim in every possible way.

Does anyone actually FEEL this is the right thing to do?

Legally, I don't think it's right. From a moral stand-point I think it's fairly ****ty for him not to contribute ANYTHING if they need it, but that's irrelevant. I don't, however, think it's right in anyway that the children should be left destitute or forced into care because of their parents' inability to provide for them, which is what the OP has suggested in later posts...
I don't, however, think it's right in anyway that the children should be left destitute or forced into care because of their parents' inability to provide for them

I agree. However, that is a sad unfortunate fact and there is nothing anyone can do about it except blame and force the actual, biological parents to take responsibility. This situation seems to suggest that if the original father vanishes and the mother cannot provide, then we should simply force a man unrelated to the children in any real sense except through dating the mother to provide. It's one step better than grabbing any random female's boyfriend to provide for woman's children simply because he was with her for a long time.

It is true that the children should not be punished for the mother's fault, but that does not make it right for anyone to punish the man for it simply because he is a man
Original post by vaguity
But why should he have to pay? He might not even have known she was pregnant

HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLY **** LADIES AND GENTLEMAN. Why should the nice man who slept with some other guys woman have to pay, I mean come on.

Just let him go, there's already one mug having to pay for his kids, I mean why should the real father have to pay. In fact why don't we get the victim here to pay £100 a month to the real father as well, you know, because this news will obviously affect him a lot.
Original post by Kibalchich
think about it from the kids point of view, this is a man who has cared for them since birth, who has loved them, guided them, that they have bonded with. he is their dad.

Whoever she cheated on the guy with is the father, where is he in all this? HE is the one who should be paying for them since they're HIS biological children. Why don't they go after him instead?
Reply 89
Original post by rainbow.panda
Whoever she cheated on the guy with is the father, where is he in all this? HE is the one who should be paying for them since they're HIS biological children. Why don't they go after him instead?

It's not only one guy, it's three seperate guys.

Tells you how far down we have gone as a society when someone who does that isn't even given any sort of punishment/face the consequences of their actions, in fact the state gets an innocent man to make her life easier.

Tells you how far down we have gone as a society when someone who does that isn't even given any sort of punishment/face the consequences of their actions, in fact the state gets an innocent man to make her life easier.

Wow. Just wow :/
How on earth could that woman sleep at night beforehand, never mind now?
Reply 92
This is why there should be mandatory paternity testing at birth.

Of course, I'm sure there is a certain demographic of society that would be opposed to this (relatively inexpensive) method of verifying paternity - usually those with something to hide.
Reply 93

mandatory. paternity. testing.

it should not be necessary to seek the consent of the mother either.
Original post by drbluebox
Have you heard of sperm bandits? Saw a documentary years ago that women were having PROTECTED sex with men then recovering the condom often freezing it then impregnating themselves and years later the man gets a child support bill and is forced to pay!

I remember reading about this, absolutely disgusting behaviour from those women!!!
I remember reading about this, absolutely disgusting behaviour from those women!!!

The tragic thing is, the laws in most countries in the developed world actually supports and condones such behavior.
Reply 96
Original post by callum9999
The system isn't "supporting women" - it's supporting the children.

I couldn't care less whether they are biologically his or not, he accepted them as his own and spent years bringing them up as such. He therefore has a responsibility to them - you can't just dump them because of it, it's hardly their fault.

Though I do agree, $700 from a $900 pay check is ridiculous.

Are you so silly you do not understand the context he accepted them in?

If a bank comes to tell you that your daughter who just had an accident and is in a coma owes them some huge amount of money. To avoid them taking her asset, you agree to be paying her huge debt in instalment. Then later you found out that the debt was not really your child's and the bank had made an error in their records with another female of the same age that has your child's exact name and lives on the same street, should you continue paying because "you had accepted the debt as your child's own and have been paying for months".

You don't think you are completely silly telling him "he accepted them so he must pay". He accepted them because he was deceived they were his! Why should he be punished for that?
Cheating whore should be shot.

Brb never getting married.
Original post by LutherVan
Are you so silly you do not understand the context he accepted them in?

If a bank comes to tell you that your daughter who just had an accident and is in a coma owes them some huge amount of money. To avoid them taking her asset, you agree to be paying her huge debt in instalment. Then later you found out that the debt was not really your child's and the bank had made an error in their records with another female of the same age that has your child's exact name and lives on the same street, should you continue paying because "you had accepted the debt as your child's own and have been paying for months".

You don't think you are completely silly telling him "he accepted them so he must pay". He accepted them because he was deceived they were his! Why should he be punished for that?

Yet another person obsessed with money... Accepting a debt that isn't yours isn't remotely comparable to accepting a child that isn't yours...

How would you like it if your "dad" just walked out on you after 14 odd years, and left you and your family with nothing? In fact, if after all that time he hadn't built up an emotional relationship with those children well enough to want to look after them, he is a pretty dreadful human being.
Original post by Cristocracy
The tragic thing is, the laws in most countries in the developed world actually supports and condones such behavior.

And what laws would they be exactly...

Invariably the laws are there to protect the children, NOT the mother. If the mother is the one looking after the children then obviously it would benefit her as well, but it is not the aim of the legislation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending