The Student Room Group

Why hate feminine acting men?

This whole I'm not homophobic but I hate gay acting, flamboyant and camp attention seeking gays thing is so offensive. If you actively hate them then the chances are you are very insulting to some gay men, but of course that's okay because it is based on how they harmlessly act not their sexuality?
You can't act gay just like you can't act straight.

What is so bad about feminine acting men? Surely there is nuance just like with "manly" acting men? I don't understand why it is not okay to discriminate based on gender yet you think it is bad when people don't act like their gender? How is that not direct sexism?

I find loud camp faggots the most annoying thing on the planet, homosexuals are fine though.

Oh so you can't discriminate based on race or sexual orientation but it is okay to a) use homophobic slurs and b) discriminate against people who act a certain way even though camp people couldn't be less harmful. And also it is pretty sexist against men saying that they all have to act within the current social construct of masculinity or you won't like them.

Do you also hate butch acting women?
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I personally just find them REALLY annoying
Not a fan of anyone who's OTT and really in your face
I got a couple of gay mates who you'd never know (I didn't) unless they mention it, why can't they just do that?
(edited 11 years ago)
I find it annoying as much as i find straight people who always talk about smashing pussy and throwing 'one up the wife' annoying.

Do what you want just dont throw it in peoples faces.
Reply 3
Original post by RadioHawk
I personally just find them REALLY annoying
Not a fan of anyone who's OTT and really in your face
I got a couple of gay mates who you'd never know (I didn't) unless they mention it, why can't they just do that?

Never know what? Not all camp acting males are gay.
Why can't they just do that? I don't perhaps they are under the insane assumption they shouldn't live their lives acting how bigots like YOU want them to act?

Why do you find them annoying though? Why is a man acting feminine annoying? Because you're sexist and want everyone to act the way you like, how is that any better than being racist or homophobic?
Reply 4
Original post by Bipolarb3ar
I find it annoying as much as i find straight people who always talk about smashing pussy and throwing 'one up the wife' annoying.

Do what you want just dont throw it in peoples faces.

But camp doesn't equal talking about sex so that has no point. Also gay people should be free to talk about their sexuality since they have straights SHOVED in their faces all the time, duh. All people should be free to discuss sex, the people to forced things on overs is not gay people, let's keep within reality here please.
I don't think it's necessarily "acting gay", whatever that is, that irritates people, my guess is it's probably just the fact that they're outgoing, loud, in your face etc - that can be annoying &/or uncomfortable quite frankly.

Personally I've no real opinion on it, because I've never really noticed/been bothered by it, so I wouldn't exactly leap to call people homophobes just because they find someone irritating based on how they act, that's just human nature as far as I'm concerned, if they have no problem with people being gay, but find people who are loud etc irritating, then honestly, where is the issue?

We've already got enough of a culture of "you can't say that, someone, somewhere, with incredibly thin skin, might be offended" I think without even more petty things being added to the black list of what you can & can't say...
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by BooHooRah
Never know what? Not all camp acting males are gay.
Why can't they just do that? I don't perhaps they are under the insane assumption they shouldn't live their lives acting how bigots like YOU want them to act?

Why do you find them annoying though? Why is a man acting feminine annoying? Because you're sexist and want everyone to act the way you like, how is that any better than being racist or homophobic?

Because I'm supreme ruler of the universe...
Didn't you get the memo?
Because I'm supreme ruler of the universe...
Didn't you get the memo?

She obviously lives under a rock :wink:
Reply 8
Original post by TheHistoryStudent
She obviously lives under a rock :wink:

IKR it was a big deal
We had cake and everything!
Some people...
It isn't hypocritical or in any way homophobic. Cause I find overly flamboyant acting girls just as annoying, so I really don't know how you can fault my logic there.
It's just loud, in your face and over the top people I'm not too keen on. Whether that's being camp and over the top or not doesn't really matter.
Reply 11
It's not true to say "camp" = "feminine", it's a bit more nuanced than that. I have met a few overly camp men who were very annoying and up themselves (and plenty of slightly camp but not so in-your-face men who were very nice), but women who act the same way as said annoying men are equally annoying.

But yes it is pretty ignorant and counter-productive to describe being camp as "acting gay"
(edited 11 years ago)
I find people who are flamboyant, in your face and always seeking attention annoying. So yes I dislike camp people. Just like I dislike very negative people, or arrogant people, or bigoted people.

I'm not homophobic, I just don't like people act very "camp".

Posted from TSR Mobile
IKR it was a big deal
We had cake and everything!
Some people...

Maybe somebody forgot to invite her to the inauguration?

Best get your admin sorted out :wink:
Reply 14
I don't think it's necessarily "acting gay", whatever that is, that irritates people, my guess is it's probably just the fact that they're outgoing, loud, in your face etc - that can be annoying &/or uncomfortable quite frankly.

Personally I've no real opinion on it, because I've never really noticed/been bothered by it, so I wouldn't exactly leap to call people homophobes just because they find someone irritating based on how they act, that's just human nature as far as I'm concerned, if they have no problem with people being gay, but find people who are loud etc irritating, then honestly, where is the issue?

We've already got enough of a culture of "you can't say that, someone, somewhere, with incredibly thin skin, might be offended" I think without even more petty things being added to the black list of what you can & can't say...

But if you actively hate people who act camp the chances are you are hating some gay people you may not be hating them because they are gay but because they "act gay", it is just as bad and is probably enforced through homophobic insults and ignorant mindsets. Whether homophobic or not it is definitely sexist, as it hates men who don't act a certain way. And no we are not talking about liking annoying people that's an oxymoron, we are talking about actively disliking camp people and why you don't like them. How is it okay? If they aren't doing anything to you what's the problem?
Reply 15
Original post by Ice Constricter
It isn't hypocritical or in any way homophobic. Cause I find overly flamboyant acting girls just as annoying, so I really don't know how you can fault my logic there.

Indeed.

I'm normally tolerable but I myself find it hard to stand them... :erm:
Camp men. They are soooo funny. I couldn't go out with them though...

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't hate people acting camp, I find it annoying, just as I find countless other ways of acting annoying.
Reply 18
Original post by cake_lover
I find people who are flamboyant, in your face and always seeking attention annoying. So yes I dislike camp people. Just like I dislike very negative people, or arrogant people, or bigoted people.

I'm not homophobic, I just don't like people act very "camp".

Posted from TSR Mobile

But negativity, arrogance and bigotry are negative traits, acting feminine isn't.
Maybe somebody forgot to invite her to the inauguration?

Best get your admin sorted out :wink:

Afraid that's my bad :frown:
Budget cuts meant i had to lay off half my staff....
Running a universe is bloody tricky, last guy left it in a right shambles

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending