The Student Room Group

What do you think of the assertion "White people are more intelligent than black.....

Scroll to see replies

yes. We are more intelligent
Original post by geetar
'Intelligence' is a social construct rather than a biological one, so no, I don't agree with that assertion.

Oh, come off it.

You don't think that the word 'intelligence' describes something real and measurable that varies from person to person?
Original post by justanotherposter
Black people on average come from poorer families, and live in poorer areas. Hence on average they will receive a poorer education, I'm not 100% but I think richer families care more if their kid skips school than a poorer family, who are more concerned with making ends meet. If you receive a poor education then you are going to be less intelligent in later life, I doubt it has much to do with your ethnicity.

What are the results like, out of interest, if you compare (for instance) the average IQs of black families from the top quintile of earnings with white families in the same quintile?

Or black families and white families both from the bottom quartile?

You could filter out the possible income differences if you compared like with like, couldn't you?
Reply 183
Original post by Aspiringlawstudent
What are the results like, out of interest, if you compare (for instance) the average IQs of black families from the top quintile of earnings with white families in the same quintile?

Or black families and white families both from the bottom quartile?

You could filter out the possible income differences if you compared like with like, couldn't you?

The SAT in the US is effectively a psychometric test for cognitive ability. Black students from households earning $70,000 perform about as well as white students from households earning $20,000.

1995-SAT-Income.png

Also, you can control for parental education and you still get a significant difference across groups.

1995-SAT-Education.png
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 184
Original post by Aspiringlawstudent
Oh, come off it.

You don't think that the word 'intelligence' describes something real and measurable that varies from person to person?

Strong old post.

I think some aspects of intelligence are 'real and measurable' (ie: biological) and others are not (ie: social). I couldn't be bothered to write a full response because this website has come to irritate me of late.

Happy now?

Also: good neg power, brah.

Now excuse me, I have to go and revise employment law. You're not the only law student, aspiring or otherwise.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 185
Original post by geetar
Strong old post.

I think some aspects of intelligence are 'real and measurable' (ie: biological) and others are not (ie: social). I couldn't be bothered to write a full response because this website has come to irritate me of late.

The heritability of intelligence is similar to height (ie. a significant portion of the variation between people is due to gene variation). The Beijing Genomics Institute is currently working on a project to identify specific genes involved (likely to be thousands of small effect, as with height). Steve Hsu has some interesting slides on the project.
Reply 186
You can say that judging by the amount of whites in professional education/higher education/published works etc. that there is a predisposition to say that whites are smarter, but not smarter per se.

Just because there aren't as many blacks at university/published works etc. doesn't necessarily mean whites are smarter. It shows a correlation but nothing more.

And then you get into how you measure intelligence and it gets more complicated.
Reply 187
Original post by Kiss
You can say that judging by the amount of whites in professional education/higher education/published works etc. that there is a predisposition to say that whites are smarter, but not smarter per se.

Just because there aren't as many blacks at university/published works etc. doesn't necessarily mean whites are smarter. It shows a correlation but nothing more. .

There are multiple lines of evidence showing differences relate to genetic and environmental variation (as do individual differences). This includes differences in average brain size, ancestry (eg. those with mixed b-w ancestry average between b & w groups), transracial adoption studies, differences in rates of maturation etc.

Not just between those groups either. East Asians & Ashkenazi Jews also tend to have high average scores which probably relate in part to their particular evolutionary history.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending