The Student Room Group

What social class do you consider yourself to be?

Scroll to see replies

Oxbridge do take on working class people - because the government says it has to. But in the end of the day, higher classes would have better education, so much better grades. Can't blame a university for taking on the best possible grades. My college don't let me take enough A-levels to even get close to the average UCAS tariff for Oxford and Cambridge.
Although, the fact they have to take on some working class could both be good and bad, due to positive discrimination... I'm still convinced I only got an offer from LSE because I'm from a working class family. (both parents did not attend more than 3 months of sixth form, and have worked in retail majority of life).

Actually, I know this isn't entirely related to this thread, but would you be more impressed by:
A) Pupil with A*A*AA, where average for their college is A*A*A*A* or
B) Pupil with AAA, where average for their college is ABB?

I'm curious as to whether universities might take that stuff into account, and if you guys would :smile:

That was some time ago, but I remember when reading that the first time that it sounded mainly like a plug for Mansfield; however, I think there is some truth in some of her points.
Reply 222
Original post by TheJoshwha
Oxbridge do take on working class people - because the government says it has to. But in the end of the day, higher classes would have better education, so much better grades. Can't blame a university for taking on the best possible grades. My college don't let me take enough A-levels to even get close to the average UCAS tariff for Oxford and Cambridge.
Although, the fact they have to take on some working class could both be good and bad, due to positive discrimination... I'm still convinced I only got an offer from LSE because I'm from a working class family. (both parents did not attend more than 3 months of sixth form, and have worked in retail majority of life).

Actually, I know this isn't entirely related to this thread, but would you be more impressed by:
A) Pupil with A*A*AA, where average for their college is A*A*A*A* or
B) Pupil with AAA, where average for their college is ABB?

I'm curious as to whether universities might take that stuff into account, and if you guys would :smile:

I would take that into account - in fact in the US, class ranking (along with SAT scores) is a big consideration as far as I'm aware. It seems so much fairer. I got the highest grade anyone had ever got in my (state) school (despite being taught the wrong syllabus for some subjects due to sheer ineptitude) and my grades were very good but not outstanding compared to, for example, public schools or good grammar schools where lots of people seem to get those kind of grades. I think its good that for medical school you have things like UKCAT which is a much more level playing field.
Lower middle class/working class
Reply 224
Original post by Kibalchich
This is why I asked about what sorts of class definitions we are using. Although of course these cultural aspects are very much related to economic aspects.

True, but I'd say money is the gateway to buying those things (notably education) which allow your offspring to vault higher up the ladder than you did.

Original post by SophiaKeuning
How could a builder earn 100K? M'yes, I agree that it may be that our class system is this way, I obviously don't like it. :tongue:

Pretty easily if they own their own business and it's doing well. A lot of builders are also property developers, it's hardly implausible to do up two 300k houses a year and then sell them on for a 50k profit each.
Reply 225
student :smile:
Original post by Knugs

Lol, yep, that's a whole social class in its own right! :rolleyes:
Reply 227
Original post by Knugs

:facepalm2:
Reply 228
Original post by Fullofsurprises
That's interesting, because I think people can be working class and earn more than that and be upper middle and earn less. It has to do with culture, job, education and outlook/upbringing, not just earnings. That's also true in many other countries.

Okay, can you 'classify' me? My father is a physician, my mother has a PhD and is in management, and they earn more than that. Class is a very complex concept, and the fact that my parents emigrated to the UK (20 odd years ago) further muddies the water. In my opinion, immigrants don't fit neatly into the class system.
I'm never sure, I think I was born into a more working class family, however I would say my dad is probably classed as middle class now, whereas my mum is still working. I think as a result of uni and probs the types of jobs I will have afterwards I would be classed as middle.
Original post by s.a.u
Okay, can you 'classify' me? My father is a physician, my mother has a PhD and is in management, and they earn more than that. Class is a very complex concept, and the fact that my parents emigrated to the UK (20 odd years ago) further muddies the water. In my opinion, immigrants don't fit neatly into the class system.

Well, how do you classify yourself? I think immigrants have a class from their own background in their parent country, plus an 'adopted' class identity in the country they migrate to, which can be, as you say, partly set by the way that society defines them as migrants.
likeasir.gif

The highest of the highest...

Nah I'd say (middle) middle-class based on both parents being graduates, the area I live in etc.
I would say lower middle. I'd say my dad's middle class and my mum's working class. My dad had a decent job as a captain in the merchant navy. He's managed to retire mid 50's and my parents own a few properties. However, the household income isn't too high now he's retired. So I don't know if that changes our class position?
Upper-working
Working class - mum childminder dad works in a warehouse both left education with very few qualifications between them at 16. I hope to go to university and get a degree so maybe that would move me to lower middle class I don't know really - I think your roots will always define who you are in terms of attitude to work and life regardless of your pay packet or what class society sees you as. I may be very lucky in the future and have a job with a salary presumed of those in the upper middle class but that will not change the fact I have working class background which has influenced my work ethic or who I am as a person.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SpottedZebra
What social class do you consider yourself to be and why?

I am upper-middle class in the UK, I was partially private schooled (in France) and then state schooled because my mother is an arse, but yes upper-middle.
Original post by s.a.u
A minimum of £100,000-120,000 joint income in my opinion.

What do you mean joint? it is £100,000+ per person to be considered upper-middle class, £100,000 joint is roughly an average middle class household income is it not?
Reply 236
Class should be less about money and more about things like etiquette and good manners.
Original post by tehFrance
I am upper-middle class in the UK, I was partially private schooled (in France) and then state schooled because my mother is an arse, but yes upper-middle.

What do you mean joint? it is £100,000+ per person to be considered upper-middle class, £100,000 joint is roughly an average middle class household income is it not?

£100,000+ per person puts you in the top 1% of the income distribution in the UK (also, women earn less, sometimes far less, than men so to find a woman who earns £100,000+ is even more rare). So upper-middle doesn't sound quite right, does it.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
To be fair, in that bit of the discussion you picked up on, midnightice was talking with me about the tendancy of the upper universities to select from the upper middle classes (statistics support this - and the effect is intensifying) and then midnightice mentioned that they attend a 'poor state school' - as Oxbridge overwhelmingly selects from a limited number of the high end state schools for its state entrants, perhaps this is what was being referred to? Not the actual behaviour around class or indifference to it once at your college. My point was that even across state and fee-paying school entrants, the tendancy is to select from the higher income groups - this effect is clear across all of the top universities, but the reasons are evidently to do with school achievement, predictions of schools, upbringing, family culture, etc and not necessarily (although they might partly be) due to bias at the university end.

There was a very good thread on this topic not long ago where we looked at the statistics for state school entry over the last 50 years and although it has risen again in recent times, it has been higher in the past for both Oxford and Cambridge.

I don't think it's fair to accuse people who want to debate this of seeking to 'put off' would-be applicants. On the contrary, more people from all social backgrounds and ethnicities should apply to the better universities and try to maximise their chances. That doesn't mean we can't discuss the realities of the class system and how it projects onto university selection.

I don't think you're seeking to put off applicants. I do think that would be the effect of this kind of discussion if it were left unrebutted.

I entirely agree (and couldn't possibly disagree) with what you say about who actually gets to these unis. Many of the state school entrants come from unusually good state schools with traditions of sending lots of people (I'm going to concentrate on Oxbridge since we have until now) to Oxbridge, and many are well-to-do. This is inevitable -- at least the latter factor. I'm sure it's perfectly obvious to everyone why people from middle class backgrounds will tend to do better, even setting aside the factor of their schooling. (Exactly what you'd like to do about that is another issue. I tend to view the internet as the best possible leveller. Khan Academy, for instance, is fantastic, and available to anyone of any background.)

Your use of the term 'selecting', however, could give the impression that the real working class kids are excluded because of their background, and I think it's very important that we make clear that that isn't the case. If, despite your background, you have managed to get yourself very good grades, your background won't work against you; in fact, if your schools were bad, it may well work in your favour.
This is difficult.

While I have always said I'm from a working class background (probably lower working?), I'm in a similar situation to a lot of people on here who say they are upper working/ middle/ upper middle. I'm wondering if I have a botched view of classification or if others are adamant they are NOT working class regardless of their situation. Also, does your family background determine your status? I'm in a completely different situation to my parents...

Without a criteria list or accurate way to self-classify, I am going to remain unsure.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending