The Student Room Group

u.k rape statistics

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by therisenmitten
Same. Sometimes I think that if I ever got raped I would probably rather be dead than have to live with it :frown:

That's a trashy ass way of thinking which doesn't help rape survivors. Stuff like that makes it seem like you can never recover, or try to get over the trauma. And if you get raped you're better off dead.

Moreover death is worse than rape because when you're dead, there is NO recovery. Some people are raped, but do not care about it for example as they didn't consider it that bad (e.g my ex boyfriend made me have sex with him apologised, got on later on) while others get brutally raped. When you're murdered that's the end of it.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by bottled
That's a trashy ass way of thinking which doesn't help rape survivors. Stuff like that makes it seem like you can never recover, or try to get over the trauma. And if you get raped you're better off dead.

Those are just my personal thoughts. I know it doesn't help victims.
I'm just being honest about my thoughts, I'm sure that a lot of women feel the same way.
They are not over-reported, they are still under-reported. And people don't get put in prison without solid evidence.
I think it's good that people are being more aware of the different circumstances rape can occur under (for example in a relationship).

I also think your attitudes do a lot to support the persecution of rape victims instead of the criminals.

There's a reason for that, look at it this way:

If you are in a relationship/with a male friend and suspect he might rape you some day, you can tell your friends to watch out for you and don't let him get you alone if you are drunk. There are always precautions you can take, and if nothing else you can avoid that person if you doubt them.

If you are a man and a woman is planning to pin a rape accusation on you, you have literally no idea about it and no way to prepare for it. There are no tell-tale signs that could make you suspicious, and it's not like men are good at picking up on these anyway.

So victims of false rape accusations require just as much support as actual rape victims. And it's not like rape victims are persecuted if the man says that she's falsely accusing him.
Reply 43
Just as I predicted: I can say that people get raped often in African countries but I can't say that people get raped often in India.

You need to chill out, you are provoking people to say things about your country and then calling them racist.

Also I'm not going to take the time to reply again unless you learn to write proper sentences.

actually i was responding to the closeted racist who was saying theres much more rape in india then u.k which is true overall but much much less rate wise. and ofourse u can bout rape india, the stats are there for every1 to see. i was talking about ppl who are trying to abuse india and indians becuase of rape which btw happens in all countries, even though rape is of a higher rate in their own countries which they dont say anything about and even deny the stats which is from their own government becoz their jus tryin to abuse others using this issue so im jus exposing them.
Reply 44
Original post by SnoochToTheBooch
85000 rapes per year? ie. 233 rapes per day? that doesn't sound right. there can't be 233 rapes every day in britain surely?

y not ? becoz u have a rosy picture of what u think it is?
Reply 45
Those are just my personal thoughts. I know it doesn't help victims.
I'm just being honest about my thoughts, I'm sure that a lot of women feel the same way.

Sorry if I worded the above pretty harshly, but I believe I did jump the gun there, so I'll edit it slightly. Tommorow
Reply 46
Original post by fudgemuffins
I wasn't talking about that.

But on that subject, I think that is a reason why the rape statistics in developed countries are over-reported, because so many women will use the rape accusation as a means to an end, maybe to get someone they don't like in prison.

I also hate how whenever a woman makes a thread about an experience asking if it was rape, every woman will say "yes of course it was rape you should tell the police at get him arrested immediately", even when the case is marginal and not really causing any harm whatsoever.

so many women?
Maybe we should concentrate on the real problem here like the fact 85,000 women (and im guessing thats not including the unreported) are being raped every year

You couldnt even find a similar number of people who have lied and tried to take their case forwards to the police. They just arent there.

Also its hard to tell what happened on an internet forum, it is safer for the person involved if they are saying 'he made me do that', 'he forced me to have sex with him' to be told to go to the police who can make a deeper investigation into it than anyone else on here.
They may also not want to write the full thing down, because they be too distressed to type it, be scared of being judged further, whatever.

As for not causing any harm, who the hell are you to say that? Even a very 'minimal' rape can cause a hell of a lot of mental stress and trauma for the person who has been raped.

When i was raped it was probably 'minimal' by your standards, no being dragged down an alley stuff, but four years later and it is still causing me stress, upset and contributing strongly to my s/h urges and depression. It also has made me far less trusting of people, especially men. My current wonderful, wonderful boyfriend has had to endure a year of panic attacks during sex, because of my experience, to get us to the point where that isnt happening any more.

There is a 7% rape conviction rate and few women lying to try to get someone in prison, so i dont think guys who moan about that have too much to moan about tbh.
Reply 47
I know, it is just harder to prevent assaults by people you know.
I'm not disagreeing with you, everyone whatever gender should take their personal safety seriously.

Personally. That's why i started going to the gym. It helps a bunch
There's a reason for that, look at it this way:

If you are in a relationship/with a male friend and suspect he might rape you some day, you can tell your friends to watch out for you and don't let him get you alone if you are drunk. There are always precautions you can take, and if nothing else you can avoid that person if you doubt them.

If you are a man and a woman is planning to pin a rape accusation on you, you have literally no idea about it and no way to prepare for it. There are no tell-tale signs that could make you suspicious, and it's not like men are good at picking up on these anyway.

So victims of false rape accusations require just as much support as actual rape victims. And it's not like rape victims are persecuted if the man says that she's falsely accusing him.

People don't often "suspect" rape at all.
Of course victims of false accusation deserve support, but the facts are that there just aren't that many of them as actual rapists (and certainly not ones who get prosecuted).

The attitude that there are many false accusations leads to people not believing the stories of genuine victims leaving them scared to report being raped in case they are accused of lying.
Original post by slade p
y not ? becoz u have a rosy picture of what u think it is?

obviously yes, if the stat is true.
Reply 50
Seriously how can a woman rape a man? You just wouldn't get a boner if you were being raped.

Yes you can.
Original post by bottled
Personally. That's why i started going to the gym. It helps a bunch

Me too. Gonna be ripped :wink:
Original post by kunoichi
so many women?
Maybe we should concentrate on the real problem here like the fact 85,000 women (and im guessing thats not including the unreported) are being raped every year

You couldnt even find a similar number of people who have lied and tried to take their case forwards to the police. They just arent there.

Also its hard to tell what happened on an internet forum, it is safer for the person involved if they are saying 'he made me do that', 'he forced me to have sex with him' to be told to go to the police who can make a deeper investigation into it than anyone else on here.
They may also not want to write the full thing down, because they be too distressed to type it, be scared of being judged further, whatever.

As for not causing any harm, who the hell are you to say that? Even a very 'minimal' rape can cause a hell of a lot of mental stress and trauma for the person who has been raped.

When i was raped it was probably 'minimal' by your standards, no being dragged down an alley stuff, but four years later and it is still causing me stress, upset and contributing strongly to my s/h urges and depression. It also has made me far less trusting of people, especially men. My current wonderful, wonderful boyfriend has had to endure a year of panic attacks during sex, because of my experience, to get us to the point where that isnt happening any more.

There is a 7% rape conviction rate and few women lying to try to get someone in prison, so i dont think guys who moan about that have too much to moan about tbh.

Well said.
Not surprised about these statistics to be honest seen a enormous increase in these offences especially this year.
Reply 54
Well said.

Thank you :smile:
Reply 55
Original post by Black Cat
Not surprised about these statistics to be honest seen a enormous increase in these offences especially this year.

Cool evidence bro.
Original post by james22
Yes you can.

Unless it's first thing in the morning, no you can't. I certainly wouldn't.
Reply 57
shocking rape statistics. britain shud be ashamedd n there shud b more awareness of this to all british ppl. and to think many brits have the nerve to say how bad rape is in other countries haha.
Reply 58
Original post by slade p
shocking rape statistics. britain shud be ashamedd n there shud b more awareness of this to all british ppl. and to think many brits have the nerve to say how bad rape is in other countries haha.

You ever been to India?

Even after mass protests the violent gang rapes haven't stopped.

BTW just took a quick peek at your stats...all you seem to talk about is rape?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 59
the fact that the high rape rates in britain is nt in the media or talked about by policitians or society in general shows they dont really care bout it. other countries higlight is over n over because they careeeee about problem. but britain obviously doesntttttt by not highlighting it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending