The Student Room Group

The issue with girls hitting guys in the media

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kiss
Reminds me of this video:

Frankly I think I'd have done the same thing, I'm not just going to let someone hit me in the face. Plus it was a game show, no idea how she thought she could get away with that even if she is a girl.

But the problem as evidenced in the video is that if you were to hit a woman back you'd probably get jumped by a load of guys trying to play hero.
Reply 41
Original post by Bonoahx
What if it was Obama?

refer back to my first reply to see the answer to that question
It is seen as acceptable because women are seen as weak and in need of protection whereas men are seen as strong and aggressive. Hitting a woman is seen as similar to hitting a child in that it is attacking someone who cannot defend themselves. In reality it is a different matter; most women are not defenceless, although most are considerably weaker than most men. What makes women hitting men so bad is that they know that most men won't hit them back. Because of the societal judgement placed upon men who hit women (rightly), most men won't hit back when attacked so they know they can hit without consequences. We need to extend this judgement to women who hit men (and ideally anyone who hits anyone) although I do think this view is quite widely held already. But if you do ever hear a woman boast about how she hit her boyfriend, or post something on Facebook about wanting to commit violence against someone, you should explain why it is unacceptable. Most people accept social conventions and never think about whether they are actually right.
When I was doing my A-Levels I sometimes had to go the a Co-Ed sixth form at a girls school and it was one of things that worried me was what I should do if one of them started attacking me.

If I just let them do it, I risk injury and get beaten up by a girl, hardly an appealing prospect.

If I hit back, I'm a woman beater, not exactly something I want a reputation for.

In the end I decided to learn how to put people in arm locks and other ways of disabling people without actually hitting them or causing any real harm. Only comprimise I could see, obviously I wasn't planning on instigating anything but better to be prepared.
Reply 44
Original post by Ice Constricter
But the problem as evidenced in the video is that if you were to hit a woman back you'd probably get jumped by a load of guys trying to play hero.

Yeah, it happens. Quite frequently as well uptown on a Saturday. For example, one of my friends got attacked by some drunken woman, who came at him with her stilettos in hand, then tried to hit him/kick him. When he pushed her back to stop her hitting him, some random guy jumped to her defence.

Real life white knights rarely look at the context of the situation and just want to seem like a hero.
Reply 45
If a woman were to slap a man in public everyone would think he'd done something to deserve it lol. But if a man dared done that to a woman you can bet everyone would intervene.

Your sig is perfect for this thread.
Reply 46
I completely agree.

Hitting people or violence are always unnecessary, whether it's from the man or the woman. I actually think it's quite patronising to see the woman as weak and defenseless and must be protected from the evil men.

I'm not excusing hitting women at all, but there have been cases where the woman really provokes the man into losing his cool. Whether the end result is for him to hit her and everyone rush to her defense, I don't know.

On the other side, men who kick off for no reason and beat his wife or girlfriend up are cowardly ****s and should be treated as such.

I don't think it's a gender issue, I think slapping/punching each other across the face is a terrible act, and from people who can't control themselves from either side.
Reply 47
Agreed with the OP. It makes me extremely uncomfortable to see women slapping men on TV or in films these days, and the way it's "normal".

Another thing that makes me uncomfortable is the attitude, "If someone hits me, I'll hit back twice as hard," etc. What is this obsession with retaliation? It shouldn't even be a gender issue - no one should hit back if it is avoidable, they should use reasonable force to impose restraint.

Finally, I am of the opinion that hitting anyone - even if they hit you first - is ALWAYS worse if they are smaller/weaker, whether male or female. A friend hit me once during an argument, and she was small and skinny, and honestly, I would not have been able to bring myself to hit her back because I would feel disgusting doing it as a stronger person. I find it sort of horrendous that other people would be comfortable with the idea.
Original post by thesabbath
You engineer a society in which one cannot express oneself openly without fear of the consequences. What happens to all these "bigoted" thoughts that you've just legislated under the surface?

We've always had a society like that though. Once upon a time, I could not express certain ideas about the monarchy. It's just ideas are changing and the law is changing and society is changing to accommodate them. It's not as dramatic as you're making it out to be.

The bigoted thoughts aren't expressed except in people's heads and in the privacy of their own homes/with friends. Any disagreement that is expressed is done so in a logical, well thought-out way rather than the huge amount of ignorant **** flinging that goes on. Less people are oppressed and more people are happy.
Original post by JessicaGarlai
the allowance of our slapping is a way of getting back at men after years of inequality and discrimination.

Don't tar feminism with your idiotic theory. Nobody should hit anyone. If I hit a man, I would not be surprised or offended if he hit me back, because I can't hit him then cry "Hey, you can't hit me, I'M A WOMAN!"

We want equal rights, so let's have 'em.
Reply 50
Original post by Zenomorph
Anyone assaulting anyone is a crime and the victim has a right to strike back. We'll see how the women feel about that.

Most of us feel perfectly fine about it i would imagine :rolleyes:

Maybe you should get rid of your belief that every woman thinks they should be allowed to slap guys for any reason.
Original post by aspirinpharmacist
If a guy hits a girl, he's abusing her and he's a despicable human being. If a girl hits a guy, it's perfectly fine, nobody bats an eyelid, if anything they cheer because she's been "empowered". Why do we all act like it's alright?

When has that ever happened?
Why neg lol? Why not answer?
(edited 10 years ago)
Girls use this 'rule' to their advantage. It's ridiculous how much it tests a guy's patience. It is unfair and not commendable at all to slap a guy when you don't have total right to, it's some stupid display of power which would go right out the window if the guy slapped her back.

Generally I would never hit a girl and I never have but if my patience was tested to it's limits then it's not fair I should be looked down on for retaliating. Also most people don't realise that many domestics have the man as the victim. This kind of thing even creeps into law, WOMEN CAN RAPE MEN TO, think about it, you don't actually need a penis to violate someone.
Reply 53
Girls should really be careful with this attitude that you can get away with hitting guys. This girl slapped this guy back in sixth form, he took her by hair to the corner and stomped the **** out of her. I don't condone it but never ever slap a man, that is perhaps the most physically humiliating thing you can do to him.

She would've been OK if she just punched him in the arm/chest but she went that step further. Some guys don't even put up with that.
Gender roles will never be abolished. There will just be new expectations set in place unless there was no way of telling men from women.
Original post by Voltozonic

Everyone wants equality between men and women otherwise quite simply they're an idiot.

cant accuse me of not moving on from past cultural views if apparently noone has a right to their own opinion
Reply 56
cant accuse me of not moving on from past cultural views if apparently noone has a right to their own opinion

You have a right to an opinion but when your opinion consists of saying it's alright for you to hit a guy to make up for previous generations which he had no control over then that doesn't mean your opinion has to be respected.

I do agree there is a problem with this, I watched a video of a basketball match in the US where a woman slapped her partner while on the big screen and everyone cheered, can you imagine if it had been the opposite way around?

For me personally regardless of if they are a boy of girl I am going to punch back if someone comes swinging for me.
Ok ya got me, but that gif is amazing isn't it? :awesome:

Edit: wait, are you talking about my gif or my videos?

Edit 2: Nevermind lol, I thought you were being sarcastic.

Definately the gif :biggrin: Managed to utterly confuse you though.
Reply 58

you have the right to hold an opinion, and we have the right to insult it as the idiocy it is.

women have been oppressed in the past. ok, why does that mean you can hit men for things completely unrelated to that? women fought for equality, and that is exactly what they deserve and no more. you don't get the bonus right to slap men and expect no reaction.
Original post by 2ndClass
Girls should really be careful with this attitude that you can get away with hitting guys. This girl slapped this guy back in sixth form, he took her by hair to the corner and stomped the **** out of her. I don't condone it but never ever slap a man, that is perhaps the most physically humiliating thing you can do to him.

She would've been OK if she just punched him in the arm/chest but she went that step further. Some guys don't even put up with that.

He took that too ****ing far though. You should hit back with the same sort of force - like if I punch you, I should get a punch back. Not being beaten.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending