The Student Room Group

Overpopulation: Is there a Solution ?

Scroll to see replies

I am probably gonna be negged here, but, I think India needs the one child per family policy implemented SOON!

The UK could do with this too, although, since the child benefits have been capped to your first 2 children (or going to be, don't know if it has been enforced yet), this will prevent population increase a little.
I think I read somewhere the population of the UK is increasing by 400,000 a year. =l
Reply 41
Education....... And adoption.

I have one idea, but I need to so some background research before I present it. And frankly i don't have the time =p

Posted from TSR Mobile
Although, I have no plans on having my own children and would rather adopt. Although, my inability to find the opposite sex attractive probably contributed towards this decision. =P
Family size tends to reduce with income. Poorer families tend to have more children, especially in developing countries. This suggests tackling poverty and unequal income would be a major step forward.
Reply 44
Original post by Scienceisgood
I am probably gonna be negged here, but, I think India needs the one child per family policy implemented SOON!

The UK could do with this too, although, since the child benefits have been capped to your first 2 children (or going to be, don't know if it has been enforced yet), this will prevent population increase a little.
I think I read somewhere the population of the UK is increasing by 400,000 a year. =l

One of their past leaders, Indria Gandhi, had this drive where everyone falling in this particular category will undergo some operation (like vasectomy). Idk what's stopping them?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh yeah, one more thing.

Castrate all rapists/child molesters/paedophiles.
Reply 46
Oh yeah, one more thing.

Castrate all rapists/child molesters/paedophiles.

How the hell would that ever help with overpopulation? :lol:
Original post by Mechie

You are against the idea?

EDIT:
Ok, fine, don't surgically castrate, too expensive.
I will give you two options.

1. Give me a hammer and hold them down.
2. Chemically neuter them.
Reply 48
You are against the idea?

EDIT:
Ok, fine, don't surgically castrate, too expensive.
I will give you two options.

1. Give me a hammer and hold them down.
2. Chemically neuter them.

Yes, I am, but that's not the point. It would make absolutely no difference in terms of overpopulation. The number of "rapists/child molesters/paedophiles" is so small it wouldn't make even as much as a small dent in terms of overpopulation, regardless of you view of the idea.
Reply 49
A one child policy would end up creating a disproportion within the population structure with an increased proportion of the elderly, and a lower proportion of the working population. Which will lead to a disaster. A two child policy would be more effective in cutting down population growth + minimising the chances of an economic disaster.

In the western world, population levels are naturally decreasing anyway due to public education and better rights for women. Also I support Boserup's theory: "Necessity is the mother of invention".
If we really need to, we will innovate and create better technologies that will increase food yields etc.
People have been saying for hundreds of years that the world is overcrowded, but nothing has happened (Not that we shouldn't expect it). There's no need to panic yet.

Also look at some of the most densely packed areas in the world. Hong Kong, Singapore, New York, London, they all boast superior economies to other areas.

I read some article the other day and it said to triple the world's population and that we'd be better off financially, physically and mentally. Perhaps that may be too far fetched, we don't know, but don't underestimate the human race's capability to innovate and create.
Original post by Kiss
Logan's Run.

Could not remember the name of the story but you did it for me - Thanks!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logan's_Run
Reply 51
the hunger games
Personally I think that humanity has passed the point-of-no-return in terms of overpopulation. Put it this way, in 1900 the population was around 1.6 billion Just a hundred years later, it had multiplied itself six times - reaching just over 6 billion. If it takes ten thousand generations to go from 1 million to 1 billion, and then it takes just 2 or 3 generations (100 years) to go from 1 billion to 6 billion, then something profoundly different is going on right now! With regards to forcefully sterilising the population, I believe that is morally wrong. It is a complete violation of nature, and a step beyond the already evil practices of humanity e.g. birth control, sex changes etc.
Reply 53
Original post by Chlorophile
Absolute rubbish. Yes, we have the technology to provide energy for everyone on earth but that technology is destroying the planet. Enabling Britain alone - a small country of 60 million people - to run off renewable would cost trillions, something that is unfeasable with current attitudes. In addition, there's the issue of consumerism. We are addicted to plastics, yet the oil reserves are running out. At the current rate, plastics are going to be economically unsustainable to produce with in 50 years.

I was referring to nuclear power. In any case, renewable energy would cost trillions to implement right now, but its costs have decreased greatly recently and if this trend continues it will be economically viable. And the only way one can come to the conclusion that it will be economically unsustainable to make plastics is if one assumes that there will be no technological or economic development over the next 50 years. One could make plastics starting with just carbon dioxide and water if the energy is cheap enough, and by the 22nd century it certainly should be.

In answer to the OP, there is no solution. The only ways to combat overpopulation are "uncomfortable", and people in the western world would rather be comfortable than ensure a future for future generations. The human race is going to continue pretty much as it always has done, until something terrible happens. Our species is not proactive and never has been.

We've heard this guff for the past hundred years. Our species "isn't proactive", yet in less than a human lifetime we went from building our first ever flying machine to landing on the Sea of Tranquility. The solution to overpopulation is technology, and our technology is developing as fast as ever.
Reply 54
i honestly think at some point people will move into the ocean on new man-made islands
I love how people in poorer nations and continents are being blamed here when in reality the reason the world is turning to **** is because we in the west are raping the **** out of everything and those in poorer nations are being held to ransom. There is more than enough food and resources in this world to feed it multiple times over, it's just we in britain, europe, north america are being greedy and consuming far more than we need then throwing the rest away. The hypocrisy of people saying "indians need to stop having so many kids", no the indians need to have these kids so they can work in the western owned sweat shops and knit that £10 jumper you're wearing. A family of indians will probably consume and waste far less than one british born child, so people should look a little closer to home before casting the finger elsewhere.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Zero Nowhere
I love how people in poorer nations and continents are being blamed here when in reality the reason the world is turning to **** is because we in the west are raping the **** out of everything and those in poorer nations are being held to ransom. There is more than enough food and resources in this world to feed it multiple times over, it's just we in britain, europe, north america are being greedy and consuming far more than we need then throwing the rest away. The hypocrisy of people saying "indians need to stop having so many kids", no the indians need to have these kids so they can work in the western owned sweat shops and knit that £10 jumper you're wearing. A family of indians will probably consume and waste far less than one british born child, so people should look a little closer to home before casting the finger elsewhere.

While I agree with you to A DEGREE, the western nations have helped tremendously in helping famine in eastern countries, don't suppose you have ever heard of golden rice have you? It is a drought/disease resistant rice crop and is high in a number of vitamins (can't remember which ones) which means it prevents starvation and malnutrition to people in poorer parts of the world, of which it was genetically modified and as of yet, no health implications which are known.
Reply 57
Original post by Mechie

it won't

:sexface:
Reply 58
Well here in the UK there's actually no real need to deal with population size since we are not overpopulated and another fallacy which the eco group often neglects is that the Earth can actually sustain light population growth which is why most of the west is fine, the only problem is areas like India and Africa which are out of control.

On a global basis there are several measures we can take...

1) Contraception

2) Greater vegetarian diet, fish farming rather than trawling

3) Invest in renewable technologies, especially close to the equator or in seismically active areas

4) Greater use of desalinisation technology
While I agree with you to A DEGREE, the western nations have helped tremendously in helping famine in eastern countries, don't suppose you have ever heard of golden rice have you? It is a drought/disease resistant rice crop and is high in a number of vitamins (can't remember which ones) which means it prevents starvation and malnutrition to people in poorer parts of the world, of which it was genetically modified and as of yet, no health implications which are known.

Good hopefully this will help, but if we didn't rape the **** of them in the first place, they probably wouldn't need golden rice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending