The Student Room Group

Suicide 'Attempts' - Genuine Intention or Seeking Attention?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by pizzle223
I'd say a good 99% are looking for attention. I think if I wanted to kill myself I could do it very easily and without disrupting other people day to day lives.

I think you don't know what you're talking about.
I'd say a good 99% are looking for attention. I think if I wanted to kill myself I could do it very easily and without disrupting other people day to day lives.

I'm fairly certain that you could not kill yourself as easily as you say. You are pretty arrogant to judge people who are going through tough times and make this kind of statement

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's a cry for help. If someone genuinely wanted to kill themselves there are a million ways to do it effectively.
Original post by paddlesnap
It's a cry for help. If someone genuinely wanted to kill themselves there are a million ways to do it effectively.

There are a million ways it can be prevented, too. This thread is so triggering and offensive to people with mental health issues, I really think that belittling people who attempt something so serious amounts to nothing more than bullying. Have you nothing better to do>
Original post by Messalina
I think you don't know what you're talking about.

Why do you say that? I'm sure mentally it takes a lot to kill yourself. But in terms of actually getting the job done I'm sure I could come up with a method which would be 99% fool-proof.
There are a million ways it can be prevented, too. This thread is so triggering and offensive to people with mental health issues, I really think that belittling people who attempt something so serious amounts to nothing more than bullying. Have you nothing better to do>

I've no intention of bullying anyone, what I'm stating is a fact. You wouldn't commit suicide if you didn't have any underlying issues that needed to be addressed, as you wouldn't have any reason to commit suicide. The point I'm trying to make is it's certainly plausible that nobody attempts suicide with the intention of truly killing themselves, subconsciously or not, and that they want the help to solve their issues and they feel they've run out of options.

As I said. If you really wanted to kill yourself, why would you choose an unreliable method, such as stabbing or shooting which can potentially leave you alive, when all you really need to do is drink bleach or go and throw yourself off a motorway bridge? (I understand people actually do this, by the way.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Sammy Lanka
I'm fairly certain that you could not kill yourself as easily as you say. You are pretty arrogant to judge people who are going through tough times and make this kind of statement

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why do you say that? For one, you're very quick to judge me on how I judge people, so please don't act like you're any better than me.

I'm sure mentally it takes a lot to kill yourself. But in terms of actually getting the job done I'm sure I could come up with a method which would be 99% fool-proof.
I've no intention of bullying anyone, what I'm stating is a fact. You wouldn't commit suicide if you didn't have any underlying issues that needed to be addressed, as you wouldn't have any reason to commit suicide. The point I'm trying to make is it's certainly plausible that nobody attempts suicide with the intention of truly killing themselves, subconsciously or not, and that they want the help to solve their issues and they feel they've run out of options.

As I said. If you really wanted to kill yourself, why would you choose an unreliable method, such as stabbing or shooting which can potentially leave you alive, when all you really need to do is drink bleach or go and throw yourself off a motorway bridge? (I understand people actually do this, by the way

Yeah, I drank 550ml of industrial bleach when I was 16. It didn't work. I'm still here.

As I said, this thread is triggering and upsetting. Thanks for basically proving my point.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 48

Then please stop posting in this thread. You've already once implied you're leaving the thread but yet you continue to post.

This is a topic that is a genuine interest to me. Stop claiming how offensive it is 'to people with mental health issues'. Not everybody finds it offensive, it was created to have a deep discussion but you're being so incredibly ignorant to absolutely everybody without engaging in any thought provoking conversation.

Okay, I understand that you are offended but please stop throwing around arrogant blanket statements without engaging your brain. It's really irritating. If it is that offensive and upsetting to you, just leave. Don't post. Let me carry on talking to people who actually want to engage with me.
Yeah, I drank 550ml of industrial bleach when I was 16. It didn't work. I'm still here.

As I said, this thread is triggering and upsetting. Thanks for basically proving my point.

Well, I'm sorry you felt you had to do that. Did you do it because you woke up one morning and thought, "I know, I fancy topping myself today, that's a good idea" or did you wake up and think that you had underlying problems that you felt nobody was helping you to solve so you had to do something drastic about it?
Reply 50
From what I've read, it seems it's subconsciously for attention. I mean, if you wanted to kill yourself, you'd do it,properly.
Reply 51

Just a random question, do you use tumblr?
There is so much I want to say on this thread but I'm not going to. I know people who've been depressed. I've a family member who's killed themselves and a friends also. One thing I will say is, they did it first time and although it was apparent there was issues there was no indication these issues had brought them to that point. Very few people would want to die and tell people about it.
Well, I'm sorry you felt you had to do that. Did you do it because you woke up one morning and thought, "I know, I fancy topping myself today, that's a good idea" or did you wake up and think that you had underlying problems that you felt nobody was helping you to solve so you had to do something drastic about it?

I had acute depression from around age 12-18 thanks to various outside influences. So I guess that's a part of it. But hey, I was just attention seeking according to OP, I deserve no sympathy. (p.s. don't drink bleach. It's ****ing bleak.)
Original post by arkhamz
Just a random question, do you use tumblr?

No, I occasionally read things on there if I'm linked to them but I don't have an account. Why?
Reply 55
I had acute depression from around age 12-18 thanks to various outside influences. So I guess that's a part of it. But hey, I was just attention seeking according to OP, I deserve no sympathy. (p.s. don't drink bleach. It's ****ing bleak.)

What on earth are you on about... absolute drivel.
Reply 56
No, I occasionally read things on there if I'm linked to them but I don't have an account. Why?

Hmm no important reason really, It's just when I do somehow venture over there, I keep seeing that term, "triggering/triggered", everywhere.

How old was you when you drank bleach?
How old was you when you drank bleach?

Already told you, learn to read.
I wouldn't say suicide attempts are attention seeking

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending