The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Why does China have little respect for animals?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Bethany221
Aw I've never eaten any rabbits and no one takes rabbits as food here in hk.

The European hotels and restaurants are almost certain to have rabbit on the menu. There's an Alain Ducasse in Hong Kong, isn't there? Be pretty certain it's on the menu there.

Imo eating rabbits is as disgusting as eating cats(ppl in mainland China actually do). Ain't they usually kept as pets?:confused:

Cultural gap I guess?
Posted from TSR Mobile

They're pets in the UK too - but that doesn't mean we won't kill an unlimited number of them as they are also pests. In Australia, they used biological warfare to wipe out hundreds of millions of rabbits.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 21
Original post by Habsburg
I think it's sort of the exact opposite to that.

Apologies for my ignorance :colondollar:. I just know that muslims don't eat pork and know a few who say "ew" to people who do.
Reply 22
Aw I've never eaten any rabbits and no one takes rabbits as food here in hk. Imo eating rabbits is as disgusting as eating cats(ppl in mainland China actually do). Ain't they usually kept as pets?:confused:

Cultural gap I guess?
Posted from TSR Mobile

Last time I ate rabbit was in a pub beside the Thames. It's a herbivore, there's nothing disgusting about it.
Reply 23
Original post by ladynova
They still think animals have ingredients for medicine. It is vile and disgusting and means they have little respect for all animals. The most upsetting thing is that most tiger and lion skins are shipped to china for 'medicine' and is one the main reasons for them facing extinction.

And the worst thing is bile bears. I was so horrified at this torture! If you do not want your day ruined do not look it up!

I believe anyone who tries to downplay or condone the torture inflicted upon these animals is just as bad as the evil chinese "people" who do it.

And do we need to start on the list of animals that've become endangered/extinct because of colonists? Evil colonists. :rolleyes:

We're not trying to downplay it, we're just trying to open the eyes of ignorant people who believe that their culture can do no wrong and would rather point fingers and name call other nations without seeing that their own has flaws that can be just as bad.
I've been to China twice and have many Chinese friends there. The question of strange foods came up before, and they have assured me that it's not normal to eat dogs and cats in China.

I'm not specifically against the idea of anyone eating dogs and cats if they want to though, after all, the only reason we are against them is because they are common cuddly UK household pets. Plenty of people the world over eat guinea pigs and rabbits for example. People in the UK love to tuck into bacon and sausages for breakfast, which would horrify Muslims, and some cannot do without a Big Mac once a week, which would certainly offend Hindus. There are restauraunts in the UK selling horse, llama, ostrich, zebra, kangaroo, shark and many other meats.

Even if you have found a video of someone boiling dogs alive, which I'm sure has happened somewhere before, it gives no indication that it is a widespread practice, and I'm sure that your average Chinese person would find such cruelty abhorrent.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 25
It's got a lot to do with the fact that on the whole, animal cruelty is pretty far down the list of priorities for a nation that was in poverty just three decades ago. A lot of Chinese people are poor and there hasn't been an opportunity for the animal rights people to catch on yet. As China gets more developed it will adopt better attitudes.

Dog and cat etc aren't actually popular at all.
Also I've never seen or heard about such acts described - they're probably isolated incidents that are hyped on the internet. Although cooking seafood alive is pretty common. For example that guy who microwaved his pet.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Habsburg
As I said about dogs, I generally thought that the weirder stuff like cats and dogs is actually more unusual than you'd think in China.

Anyway, I can see why people who consider such animals as pets could be grossed out by it. I, for one, love dogs, and probably wouldn't eat one. However, that is my own personal feeling, and I wouldn't make a moral judgement on those who do eat dogs (the animal's treatment is a different issue).

I see your point. I do have my personal feelings about it but I'm not gonna say if it's morally acceptable or not as well. Apologies if you are offended. :smile:

Anyway, not sure about cats but I know eating dogs is literally a commonwealth thing. So yes it's really that common in China. :-/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 27
I see your point. I do have my personal feelings about it but I'm not gonna say if it's morally acceptable or not as well. Apologies if you are offended. :smile:

No worries. I wasn't offended at all. :smile:

Original post by marcusfox
I've been to China twice and have many Chinese friends there. The question of strange foods came up before, and they have assured me that it's not normal to eat dogs and cats in China.

I'm not specifically against the idea of anyone eating dogs and cats if they want to though, after all, the only reason we are against them is because they are common cuddly UK household pets. Plenty of people the world over eat guinea pigs and rabbits for example. People in the UK love to tuck into bacon and sausages for breakfast, which would horrify Muslims, and some cannot do without a Big Mac once a week, which would certainly offend Hindus. There are restauraunts in the UK selling horse, llama, ostrich, zebra, kangaroo, shark and many other meats.

Even if you have found a video of someone boiling dogs alive, which I'm sure has happened somewhere before, it gives no indication that it is a widespread practice, and I'm sure that your average Chinese person would find such cruelty abhorrent.

This. Thank you.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 28

Anyway, not sure about cats but I know eating dogs is literally a commonwealth thing. So yes it's really that common in China. :-/

Posted from TSR Mobile

China's not in the commonwealth? It's really not common at all. It's more prevalent in Korea and Chinese people actually joke about the Koreans eating dog as it is seen as so unusual in China.
Reply 29
WARNING/SPOLIER ALERT: ONLY THOSE WHO ARE EXTREMELY OPEN-MINDED MAY READ THIS POST. PLEASE IGNORE IF YOU CANNOT ACCEPT ANOTHER CULTURE.

I've actually got a Korean friend who explained dog-eating to me. In Korea (and dog-eating cultures), dogs which are eaten are specifically farmed for this purpose. They do not eat pet dogs. Find this concept confusing? Let's put it into perspective. Would you eat your pet goldfish? No, of course not. Why? Because it is your pet. Would you have a problem eating tuna, cod, salmon, etc.? No. Why? Because they are specifically farmed for our consumption. Are we evil for eating fish then?

Personally, I wouldn't eat a dog or cat because I've had pets before and can't imagine doing so. But I wouldn't judge someone else on what they eat because that's their choice. How would you like it if vegetarians got disgusted at you and called you evil for eating meat?
Original post by Clip
The European hotels and restaurants are almost certain to have rabbit on the menu. There's an Alain Ducasse in Hong Kong, isn't there? Be pretty certain it's on the menu there.

Urm I think it's not surprising as the food culture in hk is really diverse indeed. What I am trying to say is I hv never see any supermarkets here provide rabbits and as a local I won't have rabbits in my daily meals. So I use "no one" for emphasis. :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
This is a country without the minimum wage that treats their workers like crap.

How do you expect them to treat animals?
Reply 32
Urm I think it's not surprising as the food culture in hk is really diverse indeed. What I am trying to say is I hv never see any supermarkets here provide rabbits and as a local I won't have rabbits in my daily meals. So I use "no one" for emphasis. :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think there's anything cultural in that. Rabbits are probably just not a big wild species in Canton, hence they're uncommon in the cuisine, ergo there's no demand. I don't think it's one of those things where the population is averse to eating them because they're cute and cuddly.
Original post by Clip
I don't think there's anything cultural in that. Rabbits are probably just not a big wild species in Canton, hence they're uncommon in the cuisine, ergo there's no demand. I don't think it's one of those things where the population is averse to eating them because they're cute and cuddly.

Yes, that's exactly what I mean - rabbits are not common ingredients in canton.(and seriously, no offence here:frown:)

And as I mentioned before, I'm not saying if it's acceptable. Just because it's unusual to me doesn't mean there's a problem at all. My own views don't really matter.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 34
The attitude towards animals in general comes from extreme poverty that is inbuilt within the Chinese psyche. Although you may think about manufacturing and the boom associated with that, the truth is the vast majority of people are living in poverty.

There is no welfare system, if you don't work or steal then you die, it's pretty much lawlessness in country regions. That is an extreme way to live and I'm sure many in the West would suffer badly or perish under such conditions, from this comes the belief that any animal can be eaten for survival purposes.

It's been mentioned before about dogs and cats........that is a cultural interpretation which we in the West might reel at because we might consider such animals as pets with personality and capable of 'love' and affection, but let's be truthful this applies to every animal, I don't hear people moaning when eating a Big Mac, but Daisy the cow might have been an extremely lovable creature, therefore the superiority complex exhibited by many in this thread is completely misplaced.

As for the veggies, some say that plants can feel pain.

What does that mean if true?

Nothing much if you bear in mind that what as entities at the top of the food chain we should just be grateful for what is available.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 35
Because many of the chinese don't have the comfort of being able to go down to a supermarket and buy whatever thy please
Reply 36
Original post by That Bearded Man
This is a country without the minimum wage that treats their workers like crap.

How do you expect them to treat animals?

It's funny how minimum wage is thought of as a barometer for a 'civilized' society.

If you examine the reality you'll note that minimum wage in the UK is not enough to live on, if this statement is untrue then things like tax credits/pay day lenders/food banks etc would not exist. On that basis I would conclude that minimum wage simply pays lip service to those who wish to believe that the UK is somehow better than countries that don't have a minimum wage.

Workers are treated like crap because the consumers demand cheaper goods and they demand them now.

It's all well and good taking this stance but if you really walked the walk you would throw away, and stop buying, anything made in China, somehow I don't think you will get rid of your laptop.
(edited 10 years ago)
What's so different between an adult Dog or an adult Chicken?

I think you should you should only complain about people eating dogs etc if you're a strict vegetarian that does not eat ANY other meat.
Original post by SamW78
It's funny how minimum wage is thought of as a barometer for a 'civilized' society.

If you examine the reality you'll note that minimum wage in the UK is not enough to live on, if this statement is untrue then things like tax credits/pay day lenders/food banks etc would not exist. On that basis I would conclude that minimum wage simply pays lip service to those who wish to believe that the UK is somehow better than countries that don't have a minimum wage.

Workers are treated like crap because the consumers demand cheaper goods and they demand them now.

It's all well and good taking this stance but if you really walked the walk you would throw away, and stop buying, anything made in China, somehow I don't think you will get rid of your laptop.

If companies offered to produce something themselves, thus provide a viable alternative to outsourced Chinese goods I would support it - no doubt about that.

Minimum wage protects the rights of the workers, otherwise they get trod on by employers willing to take advantage. We should be paying a living wage, but theres no pressure on employers to pay that.

In my opinion, it is a good barometer for a civilised society, but of course this depends on what way you lean politically.
Reply 39
Before we get all judgemental, it is important to realise that China is still a developing country and that countless people are living in absolute poverty that they would do just about anything to earn a little money to survive. Yes, to survive themselves and probably to feed their children and provide for their families too (It's a pretty common thing that a man has to earn money for the whole family, which includes wife, children and parents..)
Like somebody said before, animal rights are not on the top of the priority list of these people right now, which in my opinion, is totally understandable. Of course, I hope that this will change in the future, but until then I think it would only be unfair (and very narrow-minded) to judge a country where many people are so much poorer and didn't even have the chance to receive good education based on ridiculous things like selling turtle keychains or eating dogs... (these things are not common anyway)
In the meanwhile, the rest of us should probably take a minute to think about how lucky we are to be born into wealthy, educated countries... just saying... :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending