The Student Room Group

shocking uk rape statistics

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by silverbolt
only in a numerical sense is it greater

It does not make it a less serious issue.

This year on TSR, I learned that an issue is of absolutely no importance or concern unless it places a focus on men.
Original post by IlexBlue
Of course you will, sunshine. Keep up those excuses!

Hold onto your right to say those precious rape jokes for all it's worth, you're not going to let some petty rape victims tell you what is and isn't funny! Let that misogynistic male pride of yours shine on through!

Just because you don't find rape jokes funny, doesn't mean you can try to constrain what others are amused by. What about rape victims that crack rape jokes or laugh at them? Would you tell them what they're allowed to laugh at?
Reply 62
Original post by Algorithm69
Being an enemy of totalitarian feminazis like you who are gleeful advocates of censorship now makes me a misogynist, does it?

Also, seeing as it is you who has ignored my responses to you much more than the other way around, I don't think you have the right to doubt my resolve to respond to your inane arguments.

Thought you were going to bed, dear?

Censorship? Not feeling allowed to tell rape jokes is censorship? Oh, you poor baby, let me wipe away those man tears. How awful it must be not to be able to tell your rape jokes. Ignore those survivors with their traumatic pasts they struggle with on a daily basis and stay in therapy for years with, ignore that by trivialising what they've been through you're adding to a much bigger problem - you tell those jokes. That is the biggest issue here. Your right to joke about hilarious topics like sexual violence. Those tiny details pale in comparison to a guy feeling "censored."

What am I ignoring? All I heard was "blah sneer blah feminist insult blah humour is complex blah more snarky insults."

What brilliant point of yours am I so clearly missing?
Reply 63
Original post by yepyepyep
Just because you don't find rape jokes funny, doesn't mean you can try to constrain what others are amused by. What about rape victims that crack rape jokes or laugh at them? Would you tell them what they're allowed to laugh at?

Yes, find me all the rape victims that find their assault so hilarious they want to make jokes about it.

Rape jokes are not funny. Again, if you get some amusement out of jokes made around sexual violence, that is deeply concerning. More so if you're feeling the need to valiantly defend your right to do so.
Yes, find me all the rape victims that find their assault so hilarious they want to make jokes about it.

Rape jokes are not funny. Again, if you get some amusement out of jokes made around sexual violence, that is deeply concerning. More so if you're feeling the need to valiantly defend your right to do so.

Have you heard of Sarah Silverman? She's made rape jokes and talked about sexual assault she suffered. But I bet you'll ignore that, because it doesn't suit your view.
A joke doesn't have to trivialise something, but you don't seem to understand that.
I've laughed at rape jokes before. I shouldn't need to defend my right to do so. Some of them are funny. Don't tell me what is and isn't funny; that's like saying 'this book is NOT a good read'.:rolleyes: Humour is subjective.
Also, you might think you're being all great for feminism but you are actually quite sexist in your responses on here. You've been condescending and rude to the guys who presented you with logical arguments and I think if they had responded to you in a similar manner you would have accused them of misogyny.
(edited 10 years ago)
Thought you were going to bed, dear?

What can I say, you're a rare sort of entertainment, love.

Censorship? Not feeling allowed to tell rape jokes is censorship?

Actually, yes. That's the very definition of censorship!

Oh, you poor baby, let me wipe away those man tears. How awful it must be not to be able to tell your rape jokes. Ignore those survivors with their traumatic pasts they struggle with on a daily basis and stay in therapy for years with, ignore that by trivialising what they've been through you're adding to a much bigger problem - you tell those jokes.

Traumatised people have absolutely no right to censor freedom of speech and expression. Why can't you grasp such a concept? Rape is the most taboo subject in our society. Jokes are not adding to the problem, just as it has been categorically proven that movies and videogames do not increase the incidence of murder. Now there is a topic that's trivialised in the media. Rape, anything but.

That is the biggest issue here. Your right to joke about hilarious topics like sexual violence. Those tiny details pale in comparison to a guy feeling "censored."

Appeal to emotion. Boring. Easily dismissed.

What am I ignoring? All I heard was "blah sneer blah feminist insult blah humour is complex blah more snarky insults."

What brilliant point of yours am I so clearly missing?

There was a thread where you tried to categorise males who weren't marrying/commiting as "embittered 20 somethings". I responded to your asinine bull****. You ignored it.

Do you admit that you're a misandrist? Because your posts on TSR point to a palpable disdain of men and a complete rejection of their viewpoints on all subjects. I know feminists like to state domestic violence and rape are female issues, but men are a significant casualty of both. Their opinions matter.
Reply 66
Right. I am out. I am officially out.

I'm now in a place where I'm actually engaging men who are complaining that their right to joke about rape is more important than considering the emotions and experiences of victims of what is one of the worst crimes you can ever be a victim of and that, as men, you will never fully understand what it is to go through it or fear it on a daily basis. This is male privilege at its finest, and you are so laughably blind to it you're stumbling into walls.

I have these same men regularly insulting me and calling me a misandrist because I'm not responding with pleasantries - conveniently ignoring the fact that most of the insults come from themselves and they take issue with my tone because I flatly refuse to respond in any way even remotely cordial, despite what the rules say - and are shocked when I treat them with disdain when I come up against persisting attitudes such as an issue being only worth bothering with if it focuses on men, reductionist and misogynistic attitudes towards women to justify male resentment (conveniently labelling any woman who refuses to take this lying down a "feminazi") and a group of people so in denial of societal problems I don't know whether to laugh or shake my head. I would respond in a reasonable manner if what I heard was in any way reasonable. The flat out denial of the problem with rape in this country with comments such as "yeah but MEN get raped just as much too sort of not really in prison" and "well you're not in the Middle East" and "I just don't believe those statistics" is the very definition of sexism and "rape culture" I talk about, a prevalent problem still mocked by the same privileged men who are incapable of thinking beyond themselves and acknowledging an issue that doesn't directly affect them, lest they not be the victim in that case. And this goes for issues of domestic violence, sexual harassment and sexist/ objectifying attitudes in general. I have never said that the way these crimes affect men isn't not an issue, but I've lost count of the number of times these crimes, when perpetuated against my own gender, have been trivialised and ignored.

The privileged and immature belief that emotions have no place in arguments or that you are somehow vastly superior by having the middle-class stick of composure stuck up your arse makes it all the more futile to argue, because it will never be a fair debate. Not when men have the privilege not to have to live as a woman and walk a day in a woman's shoes to see the problems they face. Not when they can deny all evidence imaginable, even in the face of concrete numbers, to suit their own deluded world view. TSR is not and never really has been a fair place for discussion, unless you follow the consensus that white men have it just as bad, if not worse than you, and it's become a hub for racist and sexist attitudes that make me physically nauseated and left feeling like I no longer want any place in this forum. I was going to wait until new year, but with this, I've had enough. I'm not subjecting myself to pointless debate and quite frankly disgusting attitudes (under the pretense of "logic") any longer. I'm very thankful to the wonderful members I've met who have been genuinely good people, differing view points or not, who have made TSR a place I've greatly enjoyed frequenting at times. But my time here is done, and I'm not taking this into the new year.
Hopefully one day TSR will be a better place I feel I can take pleasure in visiting again.
You're a guy, of course you don't.

Nor do a great number of male TSRians because it's an uncomfortable truth that indicates that feminists aren't just saying nasty, misandric things to make them feel bad.

Got nothing to do with me being male or not i just dont believe its as common as 1 in 5 women ..
Rape and sexual violence are absolute terrible crimes but I can easily make up something and call it a "statistic" doesn't make it true .
[video="youtube;6D8r-wH0dkk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6D8r-wH0dkk[/video]
Except you don't actually have a point. Rape jokes are simply one category of many used for their shock value. It is the shock value that makes it funny. Just like jokes about murder, dead babies, racism, paedophilia etc. These jokes are not a symptom of a society condoning or accepting these views, it is reinforcing the negative attitudes towards them. I know feminists are renowned for being humourless drones, so I doubt you'll grasp this. Humour is complex, multi-layered and multi-faceted. Hell, there is an entire genre of humour called anti-humour whose humour rests squarely on the jokes not being funny. Your analysis of rape jokes is shockingly poor.

What do 9 out of 10 people enjoy? Gang rape!

What's funnier than a dead baby? A dead baby in a clown costume.

What's the difference between a gay guy and a fridge? A fridge doesn't farm when you pull your meat out.

Man, I see what you mean! The taboo ones are definitely the funniest :smile: Sadly, this is TSR though! Where 16 year olds will overlook this in order to claim the moral high ground and be the best diplomat they can be!
Reply 70
[QUOTE]
Original post by kunoichi
I think almost every girl gets touched inappropriately.

It really depends on the integrity of the guys the girl knows.

Most of the guys I know do not touch girls inappropriately because they are respectful. Sadly though there does seem to be more and more guys who don't respect girls and who only see girls as a sex object, which is highly annoying. So, it is vital to get to know and hang around guys who are respectful and who have a high level of integrity.

Ive been followed, harassed, touched inappropriately on an almost weekly basis when i worked and spent more time in my closest city. Now i dont it isnt as bad but still a regular thing.

I'm sorry. :frown:

I wont go in a club without a male friend, and even then if they leave the dance floor to get a drink, then i still have to push guys away.

I've never been to a club, so I don't know how that is, but I do think guys behave much better in places such as libraries and museums than at clubs.

I have been raped as have several people i know, it wasnt by some evil guy down an alley or that drunk guy at a party. It was, each and every time, by a sober boyfriend, none of whom seemed to realise what they were doing was rape.

Did you report them to the police?

The type of guys that you would never suspect, that go on to go to uni etc.
None of them have been reported and probably never will.

Oh. :frown: I hope they do not rape another girl. There is no excuse for rape. Sadly many rapists get away with it and continue to rape when they face no consequences for their actions.

Please don't feel that I'm getting after you for not reporting. I am not mad at you at all. I am mad at those who raped you and I think they do need to face a consequence for raping you.

Thats all im going to say about the experiences themselves. Dont bother to quote me unless you wish to discuss ways this could be improved or similar things.

I think men encouraging their fellow men to treat women with respect and not as sex toys is a great way for rape to lessen. Rapists have a perverted perception of who they rape; they don't see them as people worthy of respect. So, it's vital for men to learn to respect women, no matter what they're wearing, no matter where they are, and no matter their relationship.
Reply 71
Original post by shouldbestudying
[video="youtube;6D8r-wH0dkk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6D8r-wH0dkk[/video]

Love it!!! Awesome video! I think every girl needs to watch this and practice these escape moves!

I'm a pacifist and am against killing, but I do think fighting in self-defense (provided the goal is not to kill the person but rather to detain the person for authorities or to escape the person) is very important!

Thanks for sharing! 'Fight like a girl' lol! I like it! I'm going to show my hubby this youtube and practice on him :smile:
This is a bit like paedogeddon all over again.
Reply 73
Here's another great youtube video for beginning women's self-defense:

I think every girl should watch/go to a woman's self defense class and practice, practice, practice so that these maneuvers become second nature and ready for when you need them. Who knows? They just might save lives!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WIOUvTQd20&list=PLglqvu5wxQQs85Dr1sLVAjgyeXim1idoo
Reply 74
This might sound terrible, but blame the immigrants.

Rape has gone up like 100% since changes in immigration law.
What can I say, you're a rare sort of entertainment, love.

Actually, yes. That's the very definition of censorship!

Traumatised people have absolutely no right to censor freedom of speech and expression. Why can't you grasp such a concept? Rape is the most taboo subject in our society. Jokes are not adding to the problem, just as it has been categorically proven that movies and videogames do not increase the incidence of murder. Now there is a topic that's trivialised in the media. Rape, anything but.

Appeal to emotion. Boring. Easily dismissed.

There was a thread where you tried to categorise males who weren't marrying/commiting as "embittered 20 somethings". I responded to your asinine bull****. You ignored it.

Do you admit that you're a misandrist? Because your posts on TSR point to a palpable disdain of men and a complete rejection of their viewpoints on all subjects. I know feminists like to state domestic violence and rape are female issues, but men are a significant casualty of both. Their opinions matter.

Continuing on from Ilexblue but with a far less extreme approach:

While I understand everyone has freedom of speech (ie can make jokes and laugh at jokes), even though those making or laughing at rape jokes may not be laughing AT rape, I feel it may promote this to others around them. Others may misunderstand and by hearing such a light hearted approach on rape, they may be more relaxed about it and not care about its effects. There also may be others around that have experienced rape and when overhearing this, they may feel worthless and they believe what they went through is funny and that people are laughing at them etc. Also, if children are around when making these jokes, they are then from a young age believe that rape can be made fun of.

I understand your point on censhorship, but I'm saying that instead of outright banning all jokes, which you cant do as that goes against freedom of speech, I think everyone should come to an understanding?
Original post by Flexa

Sorry, that shows a correlation, not a cause and where are your statistics, out of interest?
Reply 77
Original post by Flexa

Not all rapes are reported. I wonder though if most reported rapes are when a person is raped by a person from another country?

Many rapes of people by people from the same country/ethnicity often go unreported, I think.

Concerning stopping rape, I've been watching women's self defense videos and came across one with important points concerning rapists in general:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjJOmj90Knw&list=PLglqvu5wxQQs85Dr1sLVAjgyeXim1idoo
Except you don't actually have a point. Rape jokes are simply one category of many used for their shock value. It is the shock value that makes it funny. Just like jokes about murder, dead babies, racism, paedophilia etc. These jokes are not a symptom of a society condoning or accepting these views, it is reinforcing the negative attitudes towards them. I know feminists are renowned for being humourless drones, so I doubt you'll grasp this. Humour is complex, multi-layered and multi-faceted. Hell, there is an entire genre of humour called anti-humour whose humour rests squarely on the jokes not being funny. Your analysis of rape jokes is shockingly poor.

Slightly understand how it may be funny because its such a taboo subject, but personally don't find it funny at all. In fact, I find it quite sickening when a guy says something like this a joke: "Why are girls so scared of rape? Y'all should feel pride that a guy risked his life in jail just to **** you." and its sort of like girls making fun of forced male circumcision. And a lot of people, like me, who don't have the 'funniness = shock value' explained to them, will genuinely think the "joker" is being a dickhead and suggesting rape is a light hearted issue.
(edited 10 years ago)
You know what: SOMEONE PLEASE GIVE ME A RAPE JOKE THAT THEY THINK IS FUNNY and I explain why its not funny and/or wrong

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending