The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Should You Receive Benefits If Your "Laziness" Is Caused By A Mental Health Condition

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SmallTownGirl
The different is that when you have to you can. I can't.

Why do people without mental illnesses think they're an authority on it? It would be like a white person telling a black person racism is no big deal.
Original post by Oschene23
Well actually I have a parent who works in Mental Health so I have heard quite a lot about it thank you. And again you offer no solutions, you even admit tax payers have to fund years of diagnosis which is never 100% certain anyway, how do you justify that? Why should we pay for people to fraud the system? And before you get all aggressive, I actually support people receiving what they need if it is justified, but some people take the absolute piss and they are allowed to get away with it, especially in the public sector in this country. You have people on around 70k a year, going on 2 years stress leave on full pay (heard this on several occasions) , this kind of rubbish just didn't happen back in the day (say pre 1950's - 80's) , its not people are more likely to get mentally ill now than back then.

People just need to get some perspective, after WW1 soldiers with legs blown off were stuck in workhouses with no job prospects and no benefits and nowadays people can take 2 years off a taxpayer funded well-payed job because of stress? How is that right?

The fraud rate of DLA, the benefit people with mental illnesses claim, is 0.5%. You really justify taking it off the majority for 0.5% of people?

Also, physical illnesses are not more severe than mental ones.
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
Why do people without mental illnesses think they're an authority on it? It would be like a white person telling a black person racism is no big deal.

Well I've been told by straight, cis men than there is no homophobia and transphobia in this country and the only sexism is towards men.

People just love to hate those that are less fortunate than them.
Reply 83
The different is that when you have to you can. I can't.

Being able to do most things is in our minds. You're not physically paralyzed, therefore yes you can if you convinced yourself.

It's funny how people with physical disabilities complain less than those with mental ...
Reply 84
Right, so because something works for some people it must work for everyone or we leave those that it doesn't work to deal with it on their own...

The standard one that is prescribed work perfectly well for 90% of people, seriously what's your point? that all medication should have 100% efficacy otherwise it's useless? if that;s the case we should withdraw virtually all modern treatments.

And actually, I have just failed two important uni exams because I had no energy to revise. I've wanted to be a physicist for years. That's not an option any more. I've got to leave my degree because of the stress and my lack of motivation. I've got to change my dreams and now all I can hope for is being well enough for a minimum wage job with no commitment. THAT is the reality of being ill.

There are a thousands of other people who will say the exact opposite. They coped with their illness to get to uni and managed graduate from it and lead successful lives. I'm not trying to come off as insensitive here but I just don't see that as a good enough excuse.
Original post by SoftPunch
Being able to do most things is in our minds. You're not physically paralyzed, therefore yes you can if you convinced yourself.

It's funny how people with physical disabilities complain less than those with mental ...

Most of the time I don't complain. I just get on with what I can do. But when someone tells me I'm making this up I'm going to get angry because I need to stand up for myself and those who aren't strong enough to.
Reply 86
1) Medication doesn't work for 6/7 :rofl: Just because they don't kill themselves doesn't mean it works. Look it up.

Well you're implying that the 1/7 killed themselves because medication didn't work, logic follows that 6/7 who continue to treat their condition function perfectly well.

:dunce:

2) Explain? Let me guess, "I have to work 9-5 so you do too", the typical bitter jealous response? Let me tell you something. I'll work full time, and you can work part time, o the conditio you take my depression and anxiety. Yeah?

lol you think I'm jealous? that's what you put it down to :lol:

You're just digging yourself in a deeper hole. You're not faced with a debilitating mental or physical condition, you have bouts of highs and lows, more extreme than the rest of us but you can get through it, I have faith in you :h:

3) The only one perpetuating stigma is you, "of course you are" isn't an argument

......and you're perpetuating this stigma that people with psychological issues are lazy and inept.
(edited 10 years ago)
Well I've been told by straight, cis men than there is no homophobia and transphobia in this country and the only sexism is towards men.

People just love to hate those that are less fortunate than them.

Ah, the good old "it doesn't affect me so therefore it doesn't happen". Just yesterday on my facebook feed, there was a woman making very horrible comments about a lady who she thought was trans. A photo had been shared by a body positive blogger I liked, and was getting comments like "why are you sharing this, this is for real women, shes not real she looks like a transgender". "A transgender". Because transwomen aren't real people, let alone real women! As it turns out, the woman isn't trans, but that isn't the point.

It pissed me off.
Reply 88
Well actually I have a parent who works in Mental Health so I have heard quite a lot about it thank you. And again you offer no solutions, you even admit tax payers have to fund years of diagnosis which is never 100% certain anyway, how do you justify that? Why should we pay for people to fraud the system? And before you get all aggressive, I actually support people receiving what they need if it is justified, but some people take the absolute piss and they are allowed to get away with it, especially in the public sector in this country. You have people on around 70k a year, going on 2 years stress leave on full pay (heard this on several occasions) , this kind of rubbish just didn't happen back in the day (say pre 1950's - 80's) , its not people are more likely to get mentally ill now than back then.

People just need to get some perspective, after WW1 soldiers with legs blown off were stuck in workhouses with no job prospects and no benefits and nowadays people can take 2 years off a taxpayer funded well-payed job because of stress? How is that right?

:ditto:
Original post by 2ndClass
Well you're implying that the 1/7 killed themselves because medication didn't work, logic follows that 6/7 who continue to treat their condition function perfectly well.

:dunce:

lol you think I'm jealous? that's what you put it down to :lol:

You're just digging yourself in a deeper hole. You're not faced with a debilitating mental or physical condition, you have bouts of highs and lows, more extreme than the rest of us but you can get through it, I have faith in you :h:

......and you're perpetuating this stigma that people with psychological issues are lazy and inept.

1) I'm talking about mental health services as a whole. Therapy, medication, crisis teams, CPNs etc. I don't understand why you can't see this

2) Explian. You still haven't said why me, or anyone, working part time pisses you off. The only logical reason is because you think because you have to work full time, they have to too, which is bitter

3) No, I'm not. Other than you and SoftPunch, everyone agrees with me. Hmmmm
Reply 90
"negative symptoms" are not a constant occurrence and feeling depressed or bipolar doesn't greatly inhibit you from doing your work. I'm sure if you had a family to feed you wouldn't use that petty excuse. No one should foot the bill for your laziness because you just don't "feel like" going to work today.

Stop whining.

Do you know any parents that suffer from depression?

Because I do.

She can't even motivate herself to get out of bed in the morning to take her children to school never mind work to feed them.

She took the kids to Disneyland Paris and lay in bed all day every day. Luckily my godmother was there to take the eldest out but the youngest wouldn't go without her.
Reply 91
Most of the time I don't complain. I just get on with what I can do. But when someone tells me I'm making this up I'm going to get angry because I need to stand up for myself and those who aren't strong enough to.

Let's just agree to disagree; you stand your point, I will stand mine.

But one interesting anecdote: I know a lady who labeled herself as having depression; so she does nothing to look after her 8 year old son and sleeps whole day like most people with 'depression' ... However, offer her to go shopping and that's an entirely different story altogether.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 92

God forbid society has progressed since ww1
Well, it's obvious from reading this who the people who suffer from MH issues and the people who don't are.
The standard one that is prescribed work perfectly well for 90% of people, seriously what's your point? that all medication should have 100% efficacy otherwise it's useless? if that;s the case we should withdraw virtually all modern treatments.

There are a thousands of other people who will say the exact opposite. They coped with their illness to get to uni and managed graduate from it and lead successful lives. I'm not trying to come off as insensitive here but I just don't see that as a good enough excuse.

But the 'standard' treatments don't work for most people. If you asked most people with long term mental illness they'll have probably been on 3 or 4 different meds trying to find the right one. Some (like me) haven't yet got the right meds. You were saying because the meds work for some then anyone that they don't work for should basically be thrown out on the street.

So what? I coped during my A Levels and in my first year. Doesn't mean I wasn't ill. And doesn't mean I'm faking it now. Mental health problems (like all illnesses) affect people in different ways. Those people may 'seem' ok but be self harming or abusing alcohol or drugs to get through. Or maybe they just recovered. But that doesn't mean that I don't suffer and that my inability to cope with my degree isn't real.
Reply 95

You're right, soldiers in WW1 were treated terribly. Thank god we have a supportive system in place to prevent. People succumbing to stress and developing further health problems.

My mum had to leave work permanently due to stress related illness. You try being a child social worken in Birmingham.
Reply 96
1) I'm talking about mental health services as a whole. Therapy, medication, crisis teams, CPNs etc. I don't understand why you can't see this

Because you're blowing it out proportion and being overly emotional about it. The fact remains whether you choose to accept it or not, most people with psychological disorders take their medication and go about their lives.

2) Explian. You still haven't said why me, or anyone, working part time pisses you off. The only logical reason is because you think because you have to work full time, they have to too, which is bitter

It doesn't piss me off at all. It just reinforces everything I believe. You're lazy and can't justify being so hence, you want to use your bi polar as an excuse. Thus perpetuating all stigma thrown against you.

3) No, I'm not. Other than you and SoftPunch, everyone agrees with me. Hmmmm

What is it a popularity contest now? none of you have had anything to say other than repeating the same thing over and over again. There's no logic or validity to anything you're saying.
Reply 97
Original post by redferry
Do you know any parents that suffer from depression?

Because I do.

She can't even motivate herself to get out of bed in the morning to take her children to school never mind work to feed them.

She took the kids to Disneyland Paris and lay in bed all day every day. Luckily my godmother was there to take the eldest out but the youngest wouldn't go without her.

I'm sorry but if her kids were starving, crying for food she would've found that motivation.
Ah, the good old "it doesn't affect me so therefore it doesn't happen". Just yesterday on my facebook feed, there was a woman making very horrible comments about a lady who she thought was trans. A photo had been shared by a body positive blogger I liked, and was getting comments like "why are you sharing this, this is for real women, shes not real she looks like a transgender". "A transgender". Because transwomen aren't real people, let alone real women! As it turns out, the woman isn't trans, but that isn't the point.

It pissed me off.

Well half the guys on this forum seem to think women aren't people. And people with mental health problems aren't real people. It makes me so angry. I would do something about it if I had the energy.

Original post by SoftPunch
Let's just agree to disagree; you stand your point, I will stand mine.

But one interesting anecdote: I know a lady who labeled herself as having depression; so she does nothing to look after her 8 year old son and sleeps whole day like most people with 'depression' ... However, offer her to go shopping and that's entirely different story altogether.

No. We will NOT agree to disagree. You have no knowledge of mental illness. You are ignorant and bigoted and wrong.

Also, I can't comment on whether she's ill or not because I'm not her or her medical team but I know that I can't get out of bed to shower most mornings but I can get up to do archery because I KNOW it makes me feel better. People with mental illness have hobbies, so what? Is that illegal now?
Some weird, depressing **** on this thread :erm:

Latest

Trending

Trending