The Student Room Group

You CAN'T justify anti-homosexual views.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Zorgotron
Of course, it's obvious that this view is greatly antiquated in the modern world, I do not disagree. It pains me to see that aspects of reproduction and pleasure have been completely separated in the context of sex. I despise our culture of promiscuity, our culture that promotes mindless pursuit of instant gratification. Homosexual behavior (I mean the sexual side) is something that is only orientated to carnal pleasure. It has no reproductive element and is therefore a perversion of what sex, in my opinion, should be about. Men are for women and women are for men.

Virtues like self-control, self-mastery and discipline are aspects that have become irrelevant and shunned in modern culture. Why be virtuous when I can slap on a condom and continue indulging in my carnal desires like an animal that operates on instinct, not like human that operates on free will.

Ok, so I can build up upon your beliefs and state what must rationally follow:

sex with my wife is wrong if the purpose is not orientated towards reproduction.

Agree or disagree?
(edited 10 years ago)
I laughed so hard at this thread because a phobia is an irrational fear so how exactly does someone justify their irrational fears?
You can justify homophobia in some ways.

Homosexuality is not the most desirable characteristic of a sustainable society.
Original post by Divv
well whats the point in being gay if you like sex with woman (or man if thats the case)? If you have sex with someone, you also find them attractive and if you find people of other gender attractive then you arent gay anymore -you are bisexual

Yeah, nobody ever has sex with people they aren't attracted to...
Reply 84
Original post by Snagprophet
I laughed so hard at this thread because a phobia is an irrational fear so how exactly does someone justify their irrational fears?

Edited.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Snagprophet

Homophobia is a misnomer - it has nothing to do with phobias. I prefer the much simpler "anti gay", which is what people most often mean.
Original post by Venomilys

-Anal sex is dirty, painful and can spread diseases - Not all male homosexuals engage in sodomy, some engage in fellacio (penis in mouth), kissing and touching only.

Fact of the matter is, homosexual relationships are perfectly fine if they stay safe (use lube if going from the backside) and use condoms.
pls..

don't need to be reminded about how hairy gay men pound each others rectums
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 87
Original post by chazwomaq
Homophobia is a misnomer - it has nothing to do with phobias. I prefer the much simpler "anti gay", which is what people most often mean.

This. Good point.
Reply 88
Original post by JayJay-C19
It's also slightly obvious that you're male due to your input on previous threads. I do like to stay one step ahead of my game - ha.

hah, what inputs?
Reply 89
Original post by minimarshmallow
Yeah, nobody ever has sex with people they aren't attracted to...

whats the point in having sex with some1 you don't find attractive?
Original post by Divv

Well, in this example, to have a child.
Reply 91
agree
Original post by Divv

To avoid being outed? Social pressure? There are any number of reasons that people have had in the past and still do today.
Original post by RandZul'Zorander
To avoid being outed? Social pressure? There are any number of reasons that people have had in the past and still do today.

Because he's George Clooney, definitely what my lesbian friend said, she doesn't fancy him but she still would.
Reply 94
Hate to burst a bubble about this 'plurality of opinions' but if your homophobia can actually impact the well-being of a whole societal group, than it is no longer just your business and in a democracy can be potentially dangerous. It isn't about tolerance, or keeping it behind closed doors to satisfy the handful of bigoted straight people who can't handle 'flamboyancy' - it's about acceptance for what it is, in all of its forms. As someone said earlier, the root of almost all homophobia comes from a belief that homosexuality can cause harm. Thus far I can not see how homosexuality has caused society any harm, and yet the benefits to all individuals are huge. Acceptance of themselves, from family and from all of society benefits every LGBT person, and that demographic is NOT a piddly 1 or 2%. So OP, I echo this sentiment - homophobia truly is irrational in all of its forms.

And to satisfy those who are persistent in the definition of homophobia who have so graciously taken it upon themselves to redefine much to everyone's dismay: if a gay guy fondled you, or vomited a rainbow in your face whilst singing along to RuPaul, punching him/her wouldn't be homophobic. Having said that, there is a very clear difference between a Gay Pride Parade, and a LGBT directly getting all up in your face. If you think a Pride Parade you are in no way obligated to attend is too much for you or a personal offence, I'd suggest getting out a little bit more :wink:
Reply 95

social pressure to do sex? Come on, noone cant force you to go to bed with someone you don't like.
Original post by minimarshmallow
Well, in this example, to have a child.

I strongly believe you shouldnt make a child with someone you dont find attractive. Not only their body or face but a character too
Original post by Jordooooom
I'm not homophobic (I know this is the typical way a homophobic would start their sentence) as in I have no problem with men having sex with each other. It's the characteristics of SOME gay men which I do not like. You know the type... the bitchy, vain and attention seeking men who seem to be basing their personality on the stereotypes of women. Incidentally I also hate women who are also like this.

I agree with what you've said about the religious reasons not making sense.

Man I agree. Also the ones who want to be called "She?" Or the ones with moustaches who wear makeup and heels and wigs? Not the drag queens. Actual men who consider themselves men but wear lipgloss?
Original post by Divv
social pressure to do sex? Come on, noone cant force you to go to bed with someone you don't like.
I strongly believe you shouldnt make a child with someone you dont find attractive. Not only their body or face but a character too

Yes? Historically there has been huge amounts of pressure put on by society or other institutions (think religion) to be straight regardless of your own personal desires. And if you are to stay alone all your life and be celibate people question why and you are ostracized and even possibly demonized. At the very least you are considered the 'other' and are not desirable. So you find someone romantically. You are not interested in them sexually, maybe they aren't interested in you sexually, but in order to be 'legitimate' in the eyes of society you are supposed to have sex otherwise many would say that you don't have any intimacy. There is also the issue of marriage etc. Really you are incredibly ignorant if you think there are no social pressures to have sex. Especially in modern times where it is seen as bad to be a virgin after oh so many years of life.

As far as making a child with someone you don't find attractive...how does that matter? Being attracted to them doesn't mean you two are going to raise the child together. Are you against a lesbian having sex with a male in order to get pregnant and raise a child with her partner? If so, why exactly?
Reply 98
Yes? Historically there has been huge amounts of pressure put on by society or other institutions (think religion) to be straight regardless of your own personal desires. And if you are to stay alone all your life and be celibate people question why and you are ostracized and even possibly demonized. At the very least you are considered the 'other' and are not desirable. So you find someone romantically. You are not interested in them sexually, maybe they aren't interested in you sexually, but in order to be 'legitimate' in the eyes of society you are supposed to have sex otherwise many would say that you don't have any intimacy. There is also the issue of marriage etc. Really you are incredibly ignorant if you think there are no social pressures to have sex. Especially in modern times where it is seen as bad to be a virgin after oh so many years of life.

As far as making a child with someone you don't find attractive...how does that matter? Being attracted to them doesn't mean you two are going to raise the child together. Are you against a lesbian having sex with a male in order to get pregnant and raise a child with her partner? If so, why exactly?

just because people will say you dont have any imtimacy with your partner doesnt mean you have to make sex with him/her. And besides that, do people really need to know about your sexual life? I guess someone said it before on here: noone cares what you do in bed. People won't verify if you have sex or not unless you tell them.

As for making a child, the kid will resemble their parents so it isn't a wise thing to *make one* with someone you don't like.
Reply 99
Original post by miser
It's perfectly possible to justify homophobia - it just depends on what your values are.

From a rational perspective, that was the first sentence in my OP. I could have added "from a secular perspective" but I didn't feel it to be necessary.

If you look at it from that perspective then it is indeed impossible to justify it. The pro-homosexual acceptance team will always put forth the more convincing argument/rebuttals.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending