The Student Room Group

How do you react to annoying 'chavvy' types?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Meyrin
Manchester and Bolton accents aren't even remotely similar...

To be fair, my family is from Bolton so I recognise the difference but to somebody from the south all of the North-West (Wigan, Blackburn, Burnley, Bolton, Salford, Manchester) would probably all sound extremely similar.
Reply 21
Who do you think you are to tell someone not to swear in public?

I can say whatever I want with MY own mouth, I'd encourage them to swear more lol.

I'm not even a 'chav' and I don't like that word because it degrades the working class. If someone's behaving badly then they are a thug, don't bring their 'social class' into it.

Only time I'd confront someone is if they were stealing from me or physically hurting me.
Reply 22
Original post by Gjaykay
I don't see why everyone gets all worked about swearing.

I think it's perfectly fine, they're just words. I don't understand why people choose to be offended by swearing, attention seeking, I guess?

They're just annoyingly squirmish who whine about 'creepy crawlies' or like to over analyse everything. The best thing to do is ignore those types of people, there's no reasoning with them. They choose to be offended by a few words. Pathetic.
Reply 23
I don't mind swearing. But when there's a young kid right next to you, people should have a bit of respect and at least try not to swear in front of them. It's only decent.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 24
Original post by Secretnerd123
Stop being such a judgemental prat.

You're a cutie.
Original post by samba
You're a cutie.

Lol how? :tongue:
Original post by Anthony_H
I don't mind swearing. But when there's a young kid right next to you, people should have a bit of respect and at least try not to swear in front of them. It's only decent.

Why?? Swearing isn't going to do the kid any damage, the worst thing that is going to happen is some adults get embarrassed...

OT: I've learnt to ignore chav-types and look to leave pretty quickly. When I was a bit younger I used t get a lot of abuse where I lived, from people shouting things at me to clear displays of violence, seriously, a guy threw a brick at me once, another guy run up to me and punched me in the head for being 'a ****ing queer' (i'm not gay, I was just wearing skinny jeans). Frankly I've been burnt so many times, if there is even a slight inkling of it happening again I'm off.
Reply 27
Original post by Secretnerd123
Lol how? :tongue:

I just found it a little amusing that you find him a judgmental prat for feeling whatever behaviour is inappropriate on public transport, but you're not being a judgmental prat for not respecting how he feels about it :tongue:

okok, I explained that poorly. "You're a cutie" just sounded better!
Original post by samba
I just found it a little amusing that you find him a judgmental prat for feeling whatever behaviour is inappropriate on public transport, but you're not being a judgmental prat for not respecting how he feels about it :tongue:

Oh :frown:
Original post by Ripper-Roo
They're just annoyingly squirmish who whine about 'creepy crawlies' or like to over analyse everything. The best thing to do is ignore those types of people, there's no reasoning with them. They choose to be offended by a few words. Pathetic.

There's nothing inherently wrong with swear words, it's just that using them loudly on a bus or around children isn't considered appropriate. It doesn't matter that there's no good reason why it shouldn't be appropriate. There's no good reason why it should be considered inappropriate not to wear clothes in public, either, but you wear them. They know that that's how it comes across and do it anyway. It's disrespectful.

I'm not even a 'chav' and I don't like that word because it degrades the working class. If someone's behaving badly then they are a thug, don't bring their 'social class' into it.

No, a thug is just someone who is violent. A chav is someone who is usually violent but who is characterised more by this kind of behaviour in public.

Like these chaps.

(I should say that I think if you are calling someone a chav just because of their accent or how they're dressed then it is fair to say that you're demonising the working class.)
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 30
Original post by TimmonaPortella
There's nothing inherently wrong with swear words, it's just that using them loudly on a bus or around children isn't considered appropriate. It doesn't matter that there's no good reason why it shouldn't be appropriate. There's no good reason why it should be considered inappropriate not to wear clothes in public, either, but you wear them. They know that that's how it comes across and do it anyway. It's disrespectful.

Children aren't delicate little flowers that need to be protected for swear words. My dad used to swear in front of me all the time (I said my first swear word when I was about 3), it never did me any harm (or him because he has a successful job). I hate the attitude that you should change your behaviour because think of the children! while they are around.

No, a thug is just someone who is violent. A chav is someone who is usually violent but who is characterised more by this kind of behaviour in public.

Like these chaps.

(I should say that I think if you are calling someone a chav just because of their accent or how they're dressed then it is fair to say that you're demonising the working class.)

I said a thug is violent... I need to go right now so I don't have enough time to watch the clip, I will reply by editing this post when I do have time..

It's a comedy sketch what do you expect? They're bound to exaggerate it. I think the woman was more annoying than them... "House of God", "House of Jesus", at least they made me laugh instead of :facepalm2:
(edited 10 years ago)
Children aren't delicate little flowers that need to be protected for swear words. My dad used to swear in front of me all the time (I said my first swear word when I was about 3), it never did me any harm (or him because he has a successful job). I hate the attitude that you should change your behaviour because think of the children! while they are around.

It's not 'think of the children', it's 'show respect to everyone else on the bus who is thinking of the children'. As I said, there's nothing wrong with swear words, it's just that swearing loudly in public offends a lot of people and there's no need to do that. If you want to swear around your kids at home, I don't care -- I'm sure they've heard it all before* -- but around others' on the bus is a different matter.

The comedy sketch was just there as an illustration. That's how people look at you when you get on a bus and start shouting swear words (or playing music loudly, etc). It's just inconsiderate.

edit: *I mean kids in general have heard it all before.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 32
Original post by TimmonaPortella
It's not 'think of the children', it's 'show respect to everyone else on the bus who is thinking of the children'. As I said, there's nothing wrong with swear words, it's just that swearing loudly in public offends a lot of people and there's no need to do that. If you want to swear around your kids at home, I don't care -- I'm sure they've heard it all before* -- but around others' on the bus is a different matter.

The comedy sketch was just there as an illustration. That's how people look at you when you get on a bus and start shouting swear words (or playing music loudly, etc). It's just inconsiderate.

edit: *I mean kids in general have heard it all before.

I don't see it that way. Nobody has a right to tell others to control what comes out of their mouths. Someone being offended by something isn't an excuse to censor what is and what isn't allowed on buses.
Bask in a feeling of superiority

Posted from TSR Mobile
What a **** response this was, bet it was left by a chav.
Original post by username1039383
Stop being such a judgemental prat.

Sounds like this comment was left by an annoying chavy prat.
I don't see it that way. Nobody has a right to tell others to control what comes out of their mouths. Someone being offended by something isn't an excuse to censor what is and what isn't allowed on buses.

Says the chav.
Reply 37
Original post by Penicola
Says the chav.

This thread is 7yrs old, pipe down and stop bumping it to call everyone chavs for no reason.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending