The Student Room Group

Victim Blaming Or Taking Personal Responsibility To Minimise Risk?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The Socktor
Funny how the OP never actually mentioned rape. Maybe he's referring to something else? like this maybe:

I can totally see the point of this, however, I detect straw man.

There is a substantial difference between not doing anything that potentially could lead to a false rape allegation, and taking some means to stray away from extremely likely false rape allegation.

Never having sex with a woman, and making sure you don't leave your drinks unattended/get paralytic without the protection of a friends group on a night out, while with a group of men you don't know, are not equivalent pieces of advice in terms of the means to get away from the crime suggested. If false rape is even a crime; or merely wasting police time, although that's a separate issue.

What might be equivalent advice, for example, would be not having sex with somebody who had a history of false rape accusations, for example, although for the case of false rape, it is harder to find useful advice to avoid it.

However, since the two pieces of advice are not equivalent, the reductio fails and this is mere rhetoric.
Original post by puma21
I've always felt #2 was a weird answer for why people rape. You never hear of an old lady getting raped, the vast majority of rape on women occur when they still look good.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/why-do-young-men-rape-elderly-women-and-why-does-nobody-care-a-special-report-by-linda-grant-on-a-shocking-crime-which-it-seems-we-all-prefer-to-ignore-1408839.html

:lolwut: Wish I hadn't looked now. My search history certainly isn't more dignified for it.
Reply 62
Original post by yo radical one
Oh don't worry my penis is in a chastity cage and my feminist overseer hold the keys

it's the only way I can contain my white privilege

Spoiler

It asked me to rate more members but that cracked me up too much
Reply 63
In the mugger/burglary case though the perpetrator of the crime will usually face a criminal conviction anyway so it's not as important. The point about victim-blaming when it comes to rape is that the rapist quite often gets away with the crime as a result.
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
I can see where this is going. The difference is, women are not objects, and most rapes are

1) committed by someone the victim knows and not the stranger in the alleyway. So what she wears isn't anything to do with it
2) are about power and domination and not sex, again, what she wears isn't anything to do with it/ It's more about putting power over people, which is why those with learning difficulties or mental illnesses are the victims of violent crime more often than other groups

So your whole thread is pointless, and yes, it is victim blaming

Yet these are the rapes that go to court...yet how many "rapes" don't make it to courst because the police have to inform the woman she sadly has no ground to stand on eg. I went drunk to a strangers house (who was also drunk) and after flirting with him all night and some serious groping from both sides he raped me. Yes, the guy is at fault, but just like these examples, she too is too blame for placing herself in a dangerous position.

Also as for "someone you know commits it", most of the time this too stinks of serious ignorance and denial from the woman. You never see nice, normal guys committing rape but angry thugs or angry nerds. Guys are never surprised at who commits rape but some women are which shows a lack of social awareness and character analysis from women. I remember one girl on this very forum who had been raped by 4 different boyfriends. If you look at how many men rape, she clearly was either a) lying b) had never learnt and taken responsibility for her safety and to avoid those people.

Original post by KingBradly
I think both sides of the argument seem to fail to acknowledge or address something important.

It would obviously be a bad idea for a girl to walk through town late at night only wearing a bikini. And of course anyone in their right mind would advise her not to do that.

However, the point is that it shouldn't be like that. A girl shouldn't have to worry about being raped no matter what she is wearing.

Now this may all seem arbitrary, but actually it leads to the conclusion that if a girl gets raped and she was wearing revealing clothes, she should not have to take any blame for it, because its not her that's in the wrong for wearing the revealing clothes, the blame is entirely on the rapist.

If we were to blame women for it would be oppressing women. It would be like saying Sikhs should get blamed for getting beaten up because wearing a turban makes you more of a target for racists.

Also, if a girl has been raped, then I think she has been subject to enough abuse already. I'm sure she won't even be going out at a night for a while so I hardly see how blaming is going to achieve anything.

Or, and this is the shocker, we live in a world with bad people.
You have to take precautions eg. if you are a Sikh, don't walk into a BNP meeting/avoid Barnsley. Same goes for girls on nights out.

Now what is scary is this WAS known and happily accepted for decades, but a few years ago it all changed when the self entitled prick movement happened and swept over modern kids who think if they scream and kick hard enough then the world will change into Candy Land.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 65
OP was physically painful to read, how patronising. Not little children that need to be told to hold mummy's hand as they cross the road. People can do whatever they want, if I want to walk down an alleyway with my phone out it wouldn't be my fault if I was mugged. I wouldn't do it because I don't want to put myself in danger. But I won't assume other people haven't thought about those things before they do something like wear a short skirt, it's their ****ing choice. Telling them the danger of rape is so condescending and deflecting I don't even know where to begin.

Bottom line is, you blame the thief/racist/whatever for taking something that isn't theirs.
Original post by KingStannis
I can totally see the point of this, however, I detect straw man.

There is a substantial difference between not doing anything that potentially could lead to a false rape allegation, and taking some means to stray away from extremely likely false rape allegation.

Never having sex with a woman, and making sure you don't leave your drinks unattended/get paralytic without the protection of a friends group on a night out, while with a group of men you don't know, are not equivalent pieces of advice in terms of the means to get away from the crime suggested. If false rape is even a crime; or merely wasting police time, although that's a separate issue.

What might be equivalent advice, for example, would be not having sex with somebody who had a history of false rape accusations, for example, although for the case of false rape, it is harder to find useful advice to avoid it.

However, since the two pieces of advice are not equivalent, the reductio fails and this is mere rhetoric.

It was a satire...
Original post by The Socktor
It was a satire...

And it doesn't have any more value than that. Therefore, it isn't useful as an argument against the point it it is satirising.
Original post by Ripper-Roo
2 hrs later.

:colonhash:

Not helping

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending