The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Study finds that vast majority of Muslims are homophobic

Scroll to see replies

Original post by EarthlingyThingy
Good to hear that you fear us. :tongue:

The feeling isn't mutual.

Could care less about gays. It only becomes a problem when it tries to associate itself with Islam.
Original post by Abdul-Karim
Could care less about gays. It only becomes a problem when it tries to associate itself with Islam.

What about when Islam tries to associate with it?
and in other news, when it rains things get wet
Reply 23
Original post by KingBradly
I don't care what Muslims think about homosexuals who they have no relation to. It just worries me how they must treat family if they come out as being gay. Must be pretty unpleasant for anyone who does.

Sexual orientation is a personal thing in Islam. You don't have to "out" yourself. I don't see and heterosexual Muslims "outing" themselves to their families that they are heterosexuals.

Homosexuals and heterosexuals are treated pretty much the same in public in the sense that no one gives a **** what you do in private as long as it doesn't spill out into the the public.
What about when Islam tries to associate with it?

Islam doesn't associate with it :lol:. It's a major sin, and completely forbidden.
Islam doesn't associate with it :lol:. It's a major sin, and completely forbidden.

Yet many Muslims willingly participate in homosexual acts. And many more Muslims have homoromantic tendencies.

So...

:rolleyes:
Yet many Muslims willingly participate in homosexual acts. And many more Muslims have homoromantic tendencies.

So...

:rolleyes:

Yet Islam doesn't condone it. So its the gays that are trying to justify it, where it can't be justified. You should make your own little group and hang together or something.
Yet Islam doesn't condone it. So its the gays that are trying to justify it, where it can't be justified. You should make your own little group and hang together or something.

We do, it's got a fancy and wicked sounding name "The Free World". :smile:

You're not entirely welcome.
Reply 28
Original post by tsr1269
Sexual orientation is a personal thing in Islam. You don't have to "out" yourself. I don't see and heterosexual Muslims "outing" themselves to their families that they are heterosexuals.

Homosexuals and heterosexuals are treated pretty much the same in public in the sense that no one gives a **** what you do in private as long as it doesn't spill out into the the public.

I'm not sure why you think its significant that Muslims don't come out to their family as being heterosexual. No one does that, because that's what everyone expects.

The point is, if a Muslim man starts going out with another man, I imagine that's going to be very difficult for him as his family will almost certainly take it very badly.

Of course if you're OK with this then we simply aren't going to be able to come an agreement, but personally I really feel sorry for anyone brought up in a Muslim household who is gay.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 29
I'm not sure why you think its significant that Muslims don't come out to their family as being heterosexual. No one does that, because that's what everyone expects.

And why is the default that people are "heterosexual" as opposed to homosexual?

The point is, if a Muslim man starts going out with another man, I imagine that's going to be very difficult for him as his family will almost take it very badly.

It'll also be very difficult if an unmarried heterosexual couple "go out".

Of course if you're OK with this then we simply aren't going to be able to come an agreement, but personally I really feel sorry for anyone brought up in a Muslim household who is gay.

Why would you feel sorry? If they don't like it, then they know where the door is, don't they?
Reply 30
Original post by tsr1269
And why is the default that people are "heterosexual" as opposed to homosexual?

It isn't the default, heterosexuality is just far more common and so it is expected.

Original post by tsr1269

It'll also be very difficult if an unmarried heterosexual couple "go out".

Yes it would.

Original post by tsr1269

Why would you feel sorry? If they don't like it, then they know where the door is, don't they?

Because having your whole family turn their back on you must be unimaginably upsetting.
Reply 31
It isn't the default, heterosexuality is just far more common and so it is expected.

And why do you think that is?

Yes it would.

Then treat homosexual relationships the same as Islam would treat an unmarried heterosexual relationship...

Because having your whole family turn their back on you must be unimaginably upsetting.

They probably won't object to your homosexuality per se, as evidentiated by that study but they may turn their back should you choose to act on said feelings...
Reply 32
Original post by tsr1269
And why do you think that is?

Because its the biological norm.

Original post by tsr1269

Then treat homosexual relationships the same as Islam would treat an unmarried heterosexual relationship...

So you're saying I should treat homosexual relationships as being heathen.

Original post by tsr1269

They probably won't object to your homosexuality per se, as evidentiated by that study but they may turn their back should you choose to act on said feelings...

I'm not sure this is very likely to be true, and even if it is I'm not sure why it matters.
Reply 33
Because its the biological norm.

So why wouldn't people engage in behaviour which is "normal"? and instead, engage in behaviour which is not biologically "normal", as per your statement?

So you're saying I should treat homosexual relationships as being heathen.

Unmarried heterosexual relationship is treated the same as a homosexual relationship in Islam...

I'm not sure this is very likely to be true, and even if it is I'm not sure why it matters.

It goes to show that it's the actual acting on the act which matters, not the orientation of the person. Others will only know of one's orientation if one makes it public and seeing as "how you can't do that", then it seems everyone can just get on with their lives...
I don't care what Muslims think about homosexuals who they have no relation to. It just worries me how they must treat family if they come out as being gay. Must be pretty unpleasant for anyone who does.

If you don't care then why make a thread which is only going to spread hate. Im not a homophobic and most people I know arent either. We dont really care if your gay and a non muslim. We only care and try to offer advice and help to gay muslims
Reply 35
Original post by tsr1269
So why wouldn't people engage in behaviour which is "normal"? and instead, engage in behaviour which is not biologically "normal", as per your statement?

I'm not sure where you're going with this. All you said was that heterosexual Muslims don't 'out' themselves to their family, and I pointed out non-Muslim heterosexuals don't do this either, which is true.

Original post by tsr1269

Unmarried heterosexual relationship is treated the same as a homosexual relationship in Islam...

Which is badly. The problem is that homosexuals can't get married in Islam, so it can't not be haram. In other words, homosexual relationships are always completely forbbiden, where as heterosexual ones are, because a man and a woman can marry.

Original post by tsr1269

It goes to show that it's the actual acting on the act which matters, not the orientation of the person. Others will only know of one's orientation if one makes it public and seeing as "how you can't do that", then it seems everyone can just get on with their lives...

But the problem still stands that a gay Muslim man will never be able to have a relationship with a man, without his family turning their back on him. Not because he can't have an unmarried relationship, but also because he can't have a married relationship with a man. So its a pretty unfortunate position for him.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 36
Original post by Ribbit1234
If you don't care then why make a thread which is only going to spread hate. Im not a homophobic and most people I know arent either. We dont really care if your gay and a non muslim. We only care and try to offer advice and help to gay muslims

Ok, but clearly you're in the minority. What I care about is that among millions of Muslims, homophobia is considered acceptable. I don't care what they think of some gay bloke on the street. But its nonetheless unpleasant the idea that homophobia may be becoming more accepted due to Islam.
Reply 37
Original post by James222
OP is mentally retarded
This is a 5 year old story
Get a life stop flogging a dead horse

> Calling people 'mentally retarded' is offensive, and its bullying, and it has no place on this forum.

> Do you think things have changed in 5yrs enough for this story to no longer be relevant?

> How can this be considered 'flogging a dead horse'. Do you accuse people of that when people complain about neo-Nazis too?
Reply 38
I'm not sure where you're going with this. All you said was that heterosexual Muslims don't 'out' themselves to their family, and I pointed out non-Muslim heterosexuals don't do this either, which is true.

After that, you stated that heterosexuality is the "biological norm" and I'm simply asking you why do you think people would engage in behaviour which you consider "not to be normal"...

Which is badly. The problem is that homosexuals can't get married in Islam, so it can't not be haram. In other words, homosexual relationships are always completely forbbiden, where as heterosexual ones are, because a man and a woman can marry.

As I have said, relationships are considered primarily private in Islam. The only emphasis on heterosexual marriages being recognised "officially" is because Islam believes there to be a viable product or some kind of tangible benefit to society.

But the problem still stands that a gay Muslim man will never be able to have a relationship with a man, without his family turning their back on him. Not because he can't have an unmarried relationship, but also because he can't have a married relationship with a man. So its a pretty unfortunate position for him.

He is able to provided that it is a private affair just like any heterosexual relationship outside of marriage. What goes on in private is between said individual and God and not of the state's concern.

The family needn't know. What business of it is theirs if a member of the family wishes to do something in private?
Reply 39
I'm not at all surprised, religion is a hate-machine

Latest

Trending

Trending