The Student Room Group

Anyone else worried about the demise of the Royal Family?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by crayz
No because the Britain has the power to defend itself from any would be debtors whereas the royal family can't defend itself from us.

Your an idiot.
Reply 21
Original post by mojojojo101
Your an idiot.

Says the guy who doesn't know the difference between you're and your.
Original post by crayz
Says the guy who doesn't know the difference between you're and your.

ooo my phone made a typo...

What's your excuse?
Reply 23
ooo my phone made a typo...

What's your excuse?

That i'm not stupid and am in fact right? If we decide we want to take possessions from the royal family we can. If another country decides they want some of our possessions how are they going to do that?
Original post by crayz
That i'm not stupid and am in fact right? If we decide we want to take possessions from the royal family we can. If another country decides they want some of our possessions how are they going to do that?

Your position is pure hypocrisy.

If the Crown Estate was 'stolen', then so too were the countless artifacts and territories collected by the British during the days of Empire, however you seem to think that the things 'stolen' by the crown should be returned but those 'stolen' by the Empire shouldn't...
I am not worried because of the affection there is for the Queen, and for the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge.
Reply 26
Your position is pure hypocrisy.

If the Crown Estate was 'stolen', then so too were the countless artifacts and territories collected by the British during the days of Empire, however you seem to think that the things 'stolen' by the crown should be returned but those 'stolen' by the Empire shouldn't...

It is about doing what is in the interests of Britain. It is in the interests of Britain to put as much money in the pocket of British people as possible, my proposals deliver that. You can scream hypocrite at the top of your lungs it changes nothing. The British government represents Britain not France not Turkey etc. So it will act in the interests of Britain it is in Britain't interests to take the land from the royal family as it will mean more income. It isn't in the interests of Britain to give away its possessions to foreign nations.
Reply 27
It would be in the interest of Britain to abolish the monarchy. It is an anachronism that has outlived its usefulness. Today, the aristocracy and the monarchy are but a corrupt fixture, around which people uncertain of their own cultural identity rally. The existence of this privileged group contradicts one of the key principles of modern democracy that all men are born equal. In light of the stark inequalities between the social classes, removing this redundant upper layer would be to send a powerful message that the masses do not condone those who behave as though they were above the rest just by merit of their birth.
While the idea of "little Asian children" running in packs around Burford is nothing more than a fevered dream, you have touched on one reason why the monarchy is better than having a president: they have no greasy poles to climb and no need to hand over presents to oleaginous Russians because they're all rich already and the currency of that wealth is bound up with the country's heritage and long-term survival, unlike a president who is more interested in sucking up to power networks and doesn't see further than the next election.
I far prefer the heritage and history of the royal family over its practicality, but I don't think we'll be getting rid of them anytime soon.
I love the history of the Royals and I don't want to see them go just yet.
Original post by crayz
It is about doing what is in the interests of Britain. It is in the interests of Britain to put as much money in the pocket of British people as possible, my proposals deliver that. You can scream hypocrite at the top of your lungs it changes nothing. The British government represents Britain not France not Turkey etc. So it will act in the interests of Britain it is in Britain't interests to take the land from the royal family as it will mean more income. It isn't in the interests of Britain to give away its possessions to foreign nations.

Well then this is where this discussion must stop. I was under the impression we were going to be discussing the benefits/problems with the monarchy but now I see you don't actually care either way.

You are in it for yourself, to get whatever benefit you can, regardless of others. Don't get me wrong I respect you, you're more than welcome to your views, but I don't deal with people who are wholly short-sited, narrow-minded and self-interested. Just not my thing.
Reply 32
Not worried at all. I'd welcome it.

Also, on the last page, some were debating about what money they bring in to the country- do tourists come for the Royal family? They sure as hell aren't going to meet them. No, tourists come for the buildings; Buckingham Palace, Windsor Castle, Clarence House, Kensington Palace. The Royal family are a mere commodity.
Reply 33
The Royals may not themselves be the reason why tourists come to UK but it is their trappings ; the castles, the palaces, the culture that DOES the business.

If they royals are gotten rid of somehow then so goes the culture and so goes Britain.

It will be a Euro - version of the USA; uncultured rubbish which is exactly what the extremists want.

I am not White btw, as I know many will assume. I am an Oriental Chinese. I settled in UK cause I like the culture if that changes then there's very little left of it.
Original post by Zenomorph

If they royals are gotten rid of somehow then so goes the culture and so goes Britain.

You do know that Palace of Versailles is still a major tourist attraction, despite the French monarchy being long gone right?
Reply 35
Original post by Telecaster Steak
You do know that Palace of Versailles is still a major tourist attraction, despite the French monarchy being long gone right?

Noooo.

Selective quotation - scroll it !
Reply 36
The monarchy are like ****ing lamp-posts. They are just there.
Reply 37
Well then this is where this discussion must stop. I was under the impression we were going to be discussing the benefits/problems with the monarchy but now I see you don't actually care either way.

You are in it for yourself, to get whatever benefit you can, regardless of others. Don't get me wrong I respect you, you're more than welcome to your views, but I don't deal with people who are wholly short-sited, narrow-minded and self-interested. Just not my thing.

For myself, Britain and the British people. Our nation is our identity and we must do what we can for it.
Not at all worried, the sooner their demise the better. I can't see it happening anytime soon though tbh.
Reply 39
if the Royals die , UK will end up being a Giant Brighton - not something I'd wish on anyone

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending