The Student Room Group

Anyone else worried about the demise of the Royal Family?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Zenomorph
if the Royals die , UK will end up being a Giant Brighton - not something I'd wish on anyone

how do you mean?
Only slightly. Purely for the fact that without the Royals Britain has **** all for a culture.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 42
Original post by Claudiatte
Only slightly. Purely for the fact that without the Royals Britain has sh*t all for a culture.

you've got to be kidding me.
Original post by Monkey.Man
you've got to be kidding me.

Seriously though, what do else to tourists come to see apart from the Royals, Buckingham Palace, and London?
Reply 44
Seriously though, what do else to tourists come to see apart from the Royals, Buckingham Palace, and London?

well first of all you were talking about culture, which he have a huge amount of here undeniably (not involving anything about royalty). and second of all, who says without having actual monarchs our castles and other such structures will disappear with them? did the palace of versailles/the luvre get demolished in 1789 after the french revolution?
well first of all you were talking about culture, which he have a huge amount of here undeniably (not involving anything about royalty). and second of all, who says without having actual monarchs our castles and other such structures will disappear with them? did the palace of versailles/the luvre get demolished in 1789 after the french revolution?

What real, traditionally British, culture do we have? Do we have anything that compares to say, the Spanish and their flamenco dancing, the Hindu's and their Diwali?

Second point I agree with.
Reply 46
What real, traditionally British, culture do we have? Do we have anything that compares to say, the Spanish and their flamenco dancing, the Hindu's and their Diwali?

Second point I agree with.

we have rock and roll, we have pubs/beers, we have drinking tea, we have our old fashioned monoclonal/top hat get-up, we have our kilts and bagpipes, we have our tudor style buildings, we have our country side, we have stone henge, we have double decker buses, we have the houses of parliament, but don't get me wrong, we have a history of monarchical features, e.g. buckingham palace, the tower of london, but just because we have them still in existence that doesn't mean we must have a monarch, in the same way france doesn't need its monarchy to have the luvre, the palace of versailles, etc
we have rock and roll, we have pubs/beers, we have drinking tea, we have our old fashioned monoclonal/top hat get-up, we have our kilts and bagpipes, we have our tudor style buildings, we have our country side, we have stone henge, we have double decker buses, we have the houses of parliament, but don't get me wrong, we have a history of monarchical features, e.g. buckingham palace, the tower of london, but just because we have them still in existence that doesn't mean we must have a monarch, in the same way france doesn't need its monarchy to have the luvre, the palace of versailles, etc

Beer was created in Egypt.
Tea came from China and India, and to say we are so often stereotyped as drinking tea we are only 5th in the world rankings of 'tea consumption per capita'
Rock and Roll really originated in the U.S (don't get me wrong though, Britain does have a fantastic musical history).
Kilts and Bagpipes and Stonehenge - fair enough.
Double decker buses- iconic maybe. Though I wouldn't pay money to come all the way to the U.K to see one.

Edit- Fair enough if you think Britain has sufficient culture, I just don't really see it. :/
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 48
Beer was created in Egypt.
Tea came from China and India, and to say we are so often stereotyped as drinking tea we are only 5th in the world rankings of 'tea consumption per capita'
Rock and Roll really originated in the U.S (don't get me wrong though, Britain does have a fantastic musical history).
Kilts and Bagpipes and Stonehenge - fair enough.
Double decker buses- iconic maybe. Though I wouldn't pay money to come all the way to the U.K to see one.

I mean we have a *culture* of beer/pubs, not that we invented it. we have a very relaxed culture of drinking (although so do other european countries similarly, but other european countries have monarchies yet we still seem to think that the monarchy thing is only our own cultural thing), obviously alcohol was around long before we got it. and in terms of rock music, the 60s "british invasion" was what I was talking about (and heavy metal in the 70s and 80s) - people like elvis and chucky berry were around in the 50s, sure, but they were the mantle for what was to explode into the 60s. and again, china and india don't have a culture of tea like we do. and sure, people aren't going to come just for the buses but I doubt anybody is going to come here for only one reason.
I mean we have a *culture* of beer/pubs, not that we invented it. we have a very relaxed culture of drinking (although so do other european countries similarly, but other european countries have monarchies yet we still seem to think that the monarchy thing is only our own cultural thing), obviously alcohol was around long before we got it. and in terms of rock music, the 60s "british invasion" was what I was talking about (and heavy metal in the 70s and 80s) - people like elvis and chucky berry were around in the 50s, sure, but they were the mantle for what was to explode into the 60s. and again, china and india don't have a culture of tea like we do. and sure, people aren't going to come just for the buses but I doubt anybody is going to come here for only one reason.

The monarchy isn't our own cultural thing, but of all the Royal families left ours is undeniably the most famous, which I think is the main reason tourists come here. I could be wrong, they could be here to drink tea and go in our pubs, I dunno.

However there is a relatively new 'music tourism' scene kicking off - where people are coming to Liverpool and the likes to see where the Beatles started ect.
Reply 50
how do you mean?

Go down there and see for yourself

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending