The Student Room Group

Why don't the different races do equally well at marathon running?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by ridwan12
Omg you never stop providing us with your ignoranve. Mo farah was raised in the UK.... I smell bull****.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/humanbody/body/factfiles/fastandslowtwitch/soleus.shtml

read and come back with an education.

You really don't understand how genetics work do you?

Being raised in the UK doesn't mean your genes magically change to UK genes!
Reply 61
Original post by FriendlyLiberal
The pursuit of equality is the highest virtue, yet black people consistently dominate at the top of marathon running. All races are equal, so this is evidence of systematic racism, just like the racism which leads to whites dominating economically.

How can we stop the structural discrimination and social construct that leads to blacks dominating marathons? How can we have fairer representation across the races and reduce inequality?

Some countries have introduced quotas and affirmative action for boardrooms and politics to give women the help they need to reach the top. We tax the rich more to distribute wealth more evenly. The National Union of Students has recently introduced gender quotas to shoehorn more women into the NUS.

Could we introduce something similar to ensure fairer representation of whites and asians in marathons?

Perhaps we could require 40% of the top 10 finishers to be non-black? If blacks were going to come 7-10th they would need to stop and wait for some whites or asians to go past. Because, equality.

Or perhaps we could give non-blacks a head start, like they do for women in the LA Marathon?

What are your ideas for making marathon running more equal and fair? Or are you a racist that thinks different races have different ability levels? :angry:

Your pont doesn't really stand given white people have never been systematically discriminated against in athletics, unlike black people in pretty much every other aspect of life. What's your agenda op, you don't think that black people should have a helping hand despite the fact they've been disadvantaged by decades of prejudice?
Reply 62
Original post by redferry
Can you please point out why this makes me racist? Michael Jordan himself was the one who got everyone talking about this theory again.

You can't just cover up slavery, it is a major part of human history. Having an open dialogue about it is in no way racist.

Micheal jordan was not the cleverist of people... Talking about slave trade is not racist but your suggestion that black people were breed like horses to form super humans is racist. Slavers when buying slaves checked teeth , associated it with health, and muscle mass. What would a slaver need a fast slave for... Ill believe you when you find a source which says slaves were bought based on speed.
Reply 63
Micheal jordan was not the cleverist of people... Talking about slave trade is not racist but your suggestion that black people were breed like horses to form super humans is racist. Slavers when buying slaves checked teeth , associated it with health, and muscle mass. What would a slaver need a fast slave for... Ill believe you when you find a source which says slaves were bought based on speed.

Slavers historically picked the best slaves to breed with other best slaves. Its just a fact. And biologically that is called selective breeding.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 64
You really don't understand how genetics work do you?

Being raised in the UK doesn't mean your genes magically change to UK genes!

My bad misread what you wrote thought you were the one bashing on about altitude when in fact it do to muscle fibres which comes from lifestyle survival of fitest ect..
Reply 65
Slavers historically picked the best slaves to breed with other best slaves. Its just a fact. And biologically that is called selective breeding.

Yes however you suggested the critea was based on speed yet there is no prood to back this up. West african sprinters still dominate other races in sprinting. Only reason americans dominate west africans is due to facilities and carribeans domminate due to sprinting culture. Your suggestion that Black sprinter are only dominate due to breeding is false.
I guess I am racist then? Lol it may be true that different races have different ability levels - why can whites swim better than blacks?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 67
Well that is because they are genetically adapted for that due to the conditions in that part of the world love.

What a lame attempt at being condescending.
Genes don't alter through generations that quickly, so why can't it be reasonably assumed that US/UK black athletes are also genetically gifted like East Africans? See, I think you're bringing up the slavery argument to justify the white British/USA's inadequacy when it comes to running.
(edited 10 years ago)
Cue broscience.
Original post by matthewduncan
sorry lovey but this is absolute rubbish .
its got nothing to do with slavery . Its called hard work

By that logic if I worked hard enough I could run faster than Usain Bolt. At the elite level, genetics becomes and important factor in deciding who can be a second faster or not. Obviously hard work is a part of it, but genetics are important as well in elite level sport.
Reply 70
Yes however you suggested the critea was based on speed yet there is no prood to back this up. West african sprinters still dominate other races in sprinting. Only reason americans dominate west africans is due to facilities and carribeans domminate due to sprinting culture. Your suggestion that Black sprinter are only dominate due to breeding is false.

At no point did I say it was ONLY due to 'breeding'.

So getting so defensive and crying racism for Christ's sake

She wasn't being racist, she was pointing out the attitudes at the time.

How about muscle strength, type and stamina? Slaves would definitely have been selected based on those characteristics, which are linked to sprint/marathon running.
Reply 72
sorry lovey but this is absolute rubbish .
its got nothing to do with slavery . Its called hard work

It's not hard work! You think that's why the majority of runners are black? If anything, it's because their bodies and genes are built better for that purpose.
Original post by Chihiro95
Somalis and East Africans in general were never enslaved and they're still better at long distance than you lot. I smell bull****.

This . Its foolishness
Reply 74
My bad misread what you wrote thought you were the one bashing on about altitude when in fact it do to muscle fibres which comes from lifestyle survival of fitest ect..

Uh no aal I said was the Slave trade involved selective breeding for superior genes...
Reply 75
Original post by Chihiro95
What a lame attempt at being condescending.
Genes don't alter through generations that quickly, so why can't it be reasonably assumed that US/UK black athletes are also genetically gifted like East Africans? See, I think you're bringing up the slavery argument to justify the white British/USA's inadequacy when it comes to running.

As I don't identify as British or american and couldn't give a crap if either win I'm not sure why I would do that...
Original post by ThatPerson
By that logic if I worked hard enough I could run faster than Usain Bolt. At the elite level, genetics becomes and important factor in deciding who can be a second faster or not. Obviously hard work is a part of it, but genetics are important as well in elite level sport.

I already said it has a bit to do with genetics but it has nothing to do with slavery
Original post by KingKumar
It's not hard work! You think that's why the majority of runners are black? If anything, it's because their bodies and genes are built better for that purpose.

Yes for the most part we are better runners because we obviously train harder why is that so hard to grasp ? Heres an example ,a footballer who is playing in the premier league is going to be a better than a footballer playing in league 1 because he trains harder and for longer
Not really

as other have already probably mentioned

You'll never see someone of west African descent winning the Marathon, they have explosive fast twitch muscles, same way you'll never see someone of east African descent winning the 100m (barring the Great frankie Frendricks)

Poeple seem to Forgot between 1993-2005 North africans dominated distance running and the east africans were nowhere to be seen, same way the Britihs dominated long distance running before that

All come in cycles
Reply 79
Yes for the most part we are better runners because we obviously train harder why is that so hard to grasp ? Heres an example ,a footballer who is playing in the premier league is going to be a better than a footballer playing in league 1 because he trains harder and for longer

But then why is it that only black people have decided to work hard at this specific sport? You're clearly wrong.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending