The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

What would you do if a loved one came out as transgender?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
My boyfriend is gender fluid and he was really scared when he told me.

i don't think it should matter because if you like a person as what they born with, why wouldn't you love them with what they want to be? Surely they will be more likeable because they'll be happy in their true self ^#^

Cliché, but really, the person is just going to be more open and happier if you let them be what they want to be.
Nothing it's their body, they can do as they please with their own property.
Reply 42
Original post by the_lost_boy
*kicks self* You're right there! What I meant to say was that if you identify as a man, you are a man--- male pronouns should be used. If you identify as a woman, you are a woman--- female pronouns should be used. If you identify as other, you are other---other pronouns should be used.

Yeah, I get your point :smile: I just get a little hung up on pointless details.
Reply 43
I'd be a bit of a hypocrite to be gay but anti-trans wouldn't I? I'm friends with three transmen (don't know any transwomen actually :redface:) and I don't treat them any differently
Reply 44
Original post by snowyowl
I feel as if I've lost the dad I knew for 22 years :frown:

((GIANT HUGS))

Have you heard of Laura's Playground? It's a site for trans-people, but I believe they've got a section there where family members of transpeople can get support. I really can't imagine what you must be going through. It sounds hollow coming from someone who has never been in your position: but hang in there! Your dad is still your dad: the person inside has not changed. Let gender be a letter on a piece of paper, maybe a change of wardrobe, but remember that your dad will always be your dad.

One of my best friends is in your position and it took a few years to accept it, but you can still have a close relationship with your dad. Remember that your dad is still there--- she hasn't died. She's just using a new name. Cisgender people change their names and hair colour all the time. Try to think of it like that. Try your best to be supportive, but also don't be afraid to seek professional help for yourself. What you are going through is incredibly scary, and you have every right to feel upset and confused.

((one more hug for the road))
Reply 45
I am a transgender individual and I have reached a point in my life when I feel that if I don't come out now, I'll never have the balls to do it (well, unless I decide to get some balls surgically attached to my body). I love my family and my friends, and though I know I'll need a thick skin for this process, I can't help but care what they'll think of me. And, beyond that, I'm afraid!

Here are some statistics for you guys to think about:

41-46% of transpeople attempt suicide (though some sources report even higher numbers)

Transpeople are 50% more likely to be murdered than gay people

1 in 12 transpeople are murdered in America

19% of transpeople are refused medical care because of their status

2% have been assulted by their doctors

IT IS SCARY TO BE TRANS!

Personal (SOB) story (TLDR):

Spoiler

Sorry for the long post, but now I am just at a crossroads and wondering how you would all react if a family or friend came to you with this information.

There is hope!! My grandmas best friend is trans, he came out at 72. Although his wife felt she couldn't be with him in that way any more (they were married for nearly 50 years!) She was very accepting and he is still very close to her and all his kids. Where my gran lives is all pensioners and almost all of them have been really accepting. He has never been happier!

Edit:
Oh also I'm aware it seems weird referring to him as he as he is now more a woman but he still goes by he out of choice. He's a fairly confusing one, as he isn't actually sure himself whether he fully identified as female and still dresses male for the football and gardening
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 46
Two people who I know, one whom I'm closer to than others are trans and I treat them just as I would anyone else.
When one came out and informed me of that he was trans, I accepted him and called him by his desired name, sure it took some adjusting and I slipped up and called him by his old name a few times but he could understand and we joked about it and that was the end of that
I'm quoting you because what you've said is also incredibly important! I've also discovered that I'm pan (around the time I realized that I liked another transboy). All of my friends within my immediate circle are bi or pan, so I've got that support network.

I was also a victim of cyber bullying on myspace (I'm dating myself, amn’t I?) around the time when I was getting the physical threats at school.

And... MAJOR TRIGGER WARNING!

Spoiler

My best friend is an aspie, so I can imagine it must be so difficult for you being both trans and being on the spectrum.

((hugs))

Thank you so much for responding. It's going to be a rough road, but with a positive attitude, I'm certain we can all come through this experience stronger and more complete. We may lose people we thought loved us (people we loved), but in the end we will also find the ones who matter most. Coming out as trans made me realise just how much my best friend meant to me. Even when everyone else was against me, she's been there all along. If I came out as a rainbow dragon vegan she'd still love me, and even if I do wind up losing my entire family to prejudice, I'll at least have her.

And meeting other transpeople is great too! If you haven't already gone to an LGBT support centre, I suggest that you do it ASAP. You'll make so many friends. Many of us have other mental health issues (some unrelated to our trans* status), and they will be more understanding, in general, than the public. You are allowed to whinge and moan--- you've been through so much!

Also, I'd like to thank everyone on the thread for being so supportive! And even those of you who don't agree with what I have to say, thank you so much for being respectful anyway!

Spoiler

I think you should come out as a rainbow dragon vegan, just to crack a laugh. I'd love to hear the response. :smile:

And I don't need to go to an LGBT centre, because I already do! :lol: I volunteer at one and I already know 3 trans people, so I've got a supportive network of friends too. :smile: I've never heard the term aspie before, but that makes us sound so cool! :laugh:

aspergers_syndrome_by_chaser1992-d6g2qai.jpg

Thanks for the fabulous thread and the support :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 48
Original post by Limpopo
I wonder why the stats in (1) are so ?

What determines someones gender? Well i guess the starting point is biological.

That's my guess as well. I imagine it is similar to what makes some people gay--- hormones in the womb. The brain structures of trans* people are closer to their target gender than their assigned sex, and that almost certainly happens in utero. So, it is a matter of physical environment in the mother and probably also has something to do with genetics.
Original post by Furandesu
My boyfriend is gender fluid and he was really scared when he told me.

i don't think it should matter because if you like a person as what they born with, why wouldn't you love them with what they want to be? Surely they will be more likeable because they'll be happy in their true self ^#^

Cliché, but really, the person is just going to be more open and happier if you let them be what they want to be.

I don't think people who are transgender are born that way though, i believe it's a choice - not made over night but developed directly and indirectly over a long period of time.

Hypothetically, lets assume he was not born that way and that it was his choice, would you still be accepting?
Original post by Zainabahlulbayt
Not to cause anyone who identifies as transgender any offense, but i believe you are either male or female the overwhelming majority of the time, and that 'feeling' you are not a man but a woman is psychological.

I would give them love and support and help them with counseling and treat it.

This includes finding the root cause of their problem and helping them accept what they biologically are. Helping them be at peace with that and identifying the causes of them thinking other than what they are.

Sexuality is such a fluid thing. People are attracted to many, many things, from objects to other genders to animals. I really think it's a mental and psychosocial thing.

What if they said they didn't need counselling, that they would never be happy in their birth sex, that they didn't want "treatment", they wanted transition?

It seems odd to me that people would go through so much to transition if it was a treatable thing. Even if it was a choice, surely someone has the right to make that choice?
Reply 51
I don't think people who are transgender are born that way though, i believe it's a choice - not made over night but developed directly and indirectly over a long period of time.

Hypothetically, lets assume he was not born that way and that it was his choice, would you still be accepting?

Ah, I see your point of view and it makes sense :smile:

Of course I would accept him because I know that he is making a choice which makes him happy.
Original post by Furandesu
Ah, I see your point of view and it makes sense :smile:

Of course I would accept him because I know that he is making a choice which makes him happy.

Not to cause any offense, but accepting someone because they make a choice which makes them happy is a shaky premise.

For example, what if he was into self harm , and that made him happy?

There are many potentially immoral things that make people happy, surely no?
Original post by Mankytoes
What if they said they didn't need counselling, that they would never be happy in their birth sex, that they didn't want "treatment", they wanted transition?

It seems odd to me that people would go through so much to transition if it was a treatable thing. Even if it was a choice, surely someone has the right to make that choice?

Not to cause offense...and i am not comparing the transgender to peadophiles, but again, the argument is - why would someone pick it if it had so much stigma, why would they refuse treatment if it was easily treatable.

Treatment needs to be first made. There really is no proper treatment for the transgender, and becoming transgender isn't an over-night thing, it takes many, many years perhaps, key events, maybe events in their childhood.

Sexuality is a choice.

I mean to cause no offense, and because i view it differently to many here does not make me a troll. Someone with another opinion isn't automatically a troll. This is aimed at the person reporting me not you
Reply 54
Not to cause any offense, but accepting someone because they make a choice which makes them happy is a shaky premise.

For example, what if he was into self harm , and that made him happy?

There are many potentially immoral things that make people happy, surely no?

I guess so, I agree that my wording wasn't right. He actually was into self harm at one point and of course I talked him out of it.

I'm not quite sure how to phrase my thoughts to be honest! The closest I can think of is to say that if he is happy and is doing something moral. Nobody would ever want their loved ones doing something to harm themselves mentally or physically.
Not to cause offense...and i am not comparing the transgender to peadophiles, but again, the argument is - why would someone pick it if it had so much stigma, why would they refuse treatment if it was easily treatable.

Treatment needs to be first made. There really is no proper treatment for the transgender, and becoming transgender isn't an over-night thing, it takes many, many years perhaps, key events, maybe events in their childhood.

Sexuality is a choice.

I mean to cause no offense, and because i view it differently to many here does not make me a troll. Someone with another opinion isn't automatically a troll. This is aimed at the person reporting me not you

I didn't wake up this morning and decide I was going to be a heterosexual female nor did my friend wake up this morning and decide she was lesbian female.

With regards to treatment, what do you mean? How can you treat something that doesn't need to be treated.

You say that "sexuality is a choice" but then you say " why would someone pick it if it had so much stigma,". Your post is contradictory
((GIANT HUGS))

Have you heard of Laura's Playground? It's a site for trans-people, but I believe they've got a section there where family members of transpeople can get support. I really can't imagine what you must be going through. It sounds hollow coming from someone who has never been in your position: but hang in there! Your dad is still your dad: the person inside has not changed. Let gender be a letter on a piece of paper, maybe a change of wardrobe, but remember that your dad will always be your dad.

One of my best friends is in your position and it took a few years to accept it, but you can still have a close relationship with your dad. Remember that your dad is still there--- she hasn't died. She's just using a new name. Cisgender people change their names and hair colour all the time. Try to think of it like that. Try your best to be supportive, but also don't be afraid to seek professional help for yourself. What you are going through is incredibly scary, and you have every right to feel upset and confused.

((one more hug for the road))

Thank you :frown:

I haven't, no. I will look it up at some point :smile:

The one thing I can't get over in my head is "what do I refer to my dad as now?" How do I describe our relationship? Dad? That's male. Mum's partner? That undermines the role she's played in my life this whole time. Mum? No, that doesn't feel right either.

I know it sounds silly but I can't get my head round it.

Outwardly I seem really accepting and happy, and I haven't got a problem with it, but inside I am struggling to come to terms with it all. I accept that that's my own problem though. It's been a year since we found out, and I'm still struggling.

The one thing I can't get over in my head is "what do I refer to my dad as now?" How do I describe our relationship? Dad? That's male. Mum's partner? That undermines the role she's played in my life this whole time. Mum? No, that doesn't feel right either.

Outwardly I seem really accepting and happy, and I haven't got a problem with it, but inside I am struggling to come to terms with it all. I accept that that's my own problem though. It's been a year since we found out, and I'm still struggling.

Some teens (I know of) in your position still refer to their MTF 'dad' as dad still because it describes the role they play and not the gender identify as if that makes sense. I can't offer much advice because I am not in your situation but I'm sure there are forums on the internet that will help you and wish you the best of luck :-)
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 58

My friend just calls her "dad". You should ask her what she'd like you to call her though, because I imagine some women wouldn't feel comfortable being called "dad" as a woman. If you call your mother "mum" you could also call your dad "mama" or something different. You could look up what children of lesbians call their parents for differentiation. You could also call her by her first name, if she is all right with that.

The goal is for you both to communicate so each of you can decide on something that you can call her so there are no hurt feelings. You needn't necessarily say that you're uncomfortable with her, but say you've got some questions. And, ultimately, by asking questions and clearing up confusion you are showing that you are willing to understand her and that will mean so much to her.

It's okay if you slip up every so often. Simply apologise, hug it out, and move on.

And do get help for this! If you're not comfortable talking about your feelings in front of her, find a professional you can see confidentially. There are support meetings for the families of transpeople to be found in most major cities. I suggest going to a few meetings. You'll find that a lot of other people are going through the same thing, and their support can help you to not only understand what your dad is going through, but also to address what you are going through.

Your feelings are important! Don't let your concerns get brushed under the carpet. This doesn't mean you have to treat your dad any less sweetly than you have been (which I commend you for, by the way), but don't be afraid to examine your own feelings, and above all: communicate!

Isolating yourself will only make things worse and may cause you to feel unneeded resentment. You deserve to get help for this. You're not the one transitioning, but her transition will mark a huge transition point in your life. You don't have to do it alone!

Sexuality is a choice.

Um, I don't know if peadophilia is really treatable, and I don't think it's a choice either, if we're talking about being attracted to children, obviously acting on that is a choice. But peadophilia is wrong because it's extremely harmful, transgender people aren't hurting anyone.

You're avoiding my question. What would you do if they insisted they would always be miserable acting in their birth gender, that they totally refused treatment (which I think would be the most common response)? On a separate note, do you have any evidence that transgender people can always be treated?

That isn't an argument, that's a statement. I'm guessing you must be following some religious doctrine to have such views? Assuming you are heterosexual, when did you choose to be heterosexual?

Obviously this is very sensitive to a lot of people, but you wrote in a polite manner and reporting you was ridiculous.

Latest

Trending

Trending