The Student Room Group

Minimum Wage

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sunny_Smiles
and my question (or at least if not express, implicit) was why should I have to do something like that? I live here, the government restarted itself in 2010 (e.g. because if everybody voted anarchy, which of course is very unlikely but still possible, or nobody voted at all perhaps, we wouldn't have the government, so the new government "begins" on 2010 due to this "does it exist still or not?" de facto vote), I lived here before that, and I and my family privately own this house whereas they don't so why should they have the right to force me/us to pay taxes on this house when we didn't do anything wrong and they have no moral authority here simply because they have a mob behind them? saying "you can always leave"

I'd make two points. The first is that, at root, you do not own the land outright. You have a (presumable) freehold estate in land, held from the crown, which is the ultimate owner of all land in this kingdom. By purchasing this estate in land, your parents consented to the rules under which land is owned. The crown holds the "allodial" title, which is sovereign title to land without any constraints. Ordinary people do not have allodial title, they have freehold title held from the crown's allodial title

Say there was a little urban garden, with plots that had different owners, but also a body corporate made up of all the owners of the plots, and the body corporate would charge a fee from all the owners of the plots for the upkeep of watering systems, the external fence, and so on. In exchange, each plot owner would be a member of the ruling council of the garden. This had been agreed as a system when the garden was set up.

Say an outsider buys a plot from one of the existing owners, but then decides he doesn't want to pay the charges owed to the body corporate for fence upkeep and irrigation. Well, he can't do that. By buying the plot from the existing owner, he is consenting to the body corporate system, and if he doesn't like it he shouldn't buy a plot in that urban garden. That is analagous to your parents' decision to buy the freehold of your property. They can't buy the freehold and then choose to opt out of the body corporate system (i.e. our governmental system).

The second is that your estate is not some independent island, whenever you leave your house you are using infrastructure that has been paid for by the community. You are receiving the benefits of the collective activities (like road building, water systems, electricity systems) of the community, and you also have a say in making the rules of the community.

if I consent to live in a country, I am simply suggesting that I prefer this country over other statist countries - that's it. I never signed anything saying "I consent to the existence of a state".

The law does not require a signature, consent can be inferred by behaviour or actions, or lack of actions.

that wasn't the point - I was saying if I am born somewhere that isn't consent to staying there

When you are a baby, your parents are your guardian so they consent on your behalf. When you turn 18, you are entitled to make your own decisions about whether you continue to consent to live here and be part of this community, or to buy a yacht and live in international waters as your own king.

I'm not talking about legal definitions from the state, I'm talking about what taxation actually is

Taxation is an arrangement that is analogous to a contract; there is a social contract between the citizenry as a whole and the government which is the body the community has charged with the execution of their collective activities.

the government is nothing but the historic monopoly on the ability to exercise violence without punishment (in a given area); an uncoerced coercer; it has gone from monarch(ies) (e.g. so the government in and of itself is not a collective expression of the common will) into quasi-democratic states (where only the "majority" get what they want and there, in this country, is no constitutional limit upon that against the minority)

Historically, that was certainly the case. But it is quite obvious that the system we live under now is undeniably quite civilised compared to what we had in the past. It is undeniable that the citizenry as a whole chooses the laws through our elected parliament, and thus gives its consent to the laws under which we live and the taxes that we pay.

so the minority here can be virtual legal-slaves here if a majority vote to victimise them, and they have no power to resist. and that's what I'm talking about

True in theory, and even true in fact. There have been examples of the majority oppressing the minority. But we are certainly better in that respect in 2014 than we have been in the past, and it's hardly an improvement to simply hand over the power of the government to private wealthy individuals so that they can oppress anyone they like with impunity and without the oversight of general public opinion and the community-at-large

- the theft then begins, and "community" becomes "majority will" and "majority will being the basis of theft" doesn't make it any less theft because the victim of that theft isn't consenting

We have checks and balances in our system to mitigate the tendency to majoritarianism. Whilst it's not perfect, it is improving and it's a whole lot better than handing over the "monopoly on violence" (also known as the "policing power" in civilised realms) to private magnates and plutocrats.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by MostUncivilised
So basically, might makes right. If you are wealthy and powerful, you will be able to force other people to do things. And of course, you seem to be ignoring the question of what happens to a poor person who could not afford to opt in to a police force?

well "might makes right" seems to work fine for the government, but with the government they enforce laws that individual people don't like or have much choice over. and the prediction of anarcho-capitalism is probably that people won't bother to enforce laws upon others because it would cost them direct money (opposed to taxation whereby you don't know if you're getting your money's worth on top of it being compulsory) and it wouldn't usually be profitable (e.g. stopping a neighbour from doing drugs). although in theory it's possible, just not the prediction, seeing as people usually don't have that level of interest for something so immaterial. in terms of if someone gets kidnapped, I see no reason why individuals who have an interest in that person kidnapped would hire out their own services to get that person back, and even better if multiple people instrutcted their police services to detect the missing person (with the payment/full payment being made upon success).

And why does this private police force have any right to compel an individual outside their system to do anything? If I'm happily minding my own business on my property, with my slaves, what right does a police force I have nothing to do with to come and try to take away my slaves?

if the town you were in found out about keeping slaves and, as this is my personal prediction in an anarchist society, if they had such an issue with this that they all came together in some kind of club, e.g. the "anti-enslaves society" and got all their policemen out to get all those that committed slavery, then that would stop you (although if they could avoid conflict, discussions would begin): your lawyer/policemen and their lawyers/policemen would talk to preferably avoid expensive conflict (as policemen risking their lives would be an expensive transaction for you), you might negotiate to not enslave those people any more so long as our society didn't cause you any further trouble.

This still leaves the question of what will happen to someone who is unemployed and without assets? If they are enslaved by a wealthy landowner, then there is no recourse whatsoever. That is a very unjust system, and appears to involve far more coercion than the existing system we have

then their family and friends (and other members of the sympathetic wider community) would probably take care of them. and for the other care of "being enslaved by a wealthy landowner" then they'd do the same and hire their policemen to stop the person from committing slavery.

That's all well and good, except that this private police force will have no right to enforce any particular law. If I am on my vast estate, and I have decided not to have a police force but I employ a private army, no outside police force will have any right to take away my slave, or even to stop me from murdering my slaves. I have not consented to any anti-slavery law

by "police force" I mean that flexibly; calling it an army isn't going to make it categorically any more effective than other people's services seeing as guns without restrictions will be easy to come by. and again, if the wider community take a high issue with you exercising slavery, then they will stop you, whether or not you consent if their forces are better.
Reply 182
what if I wanted to hire someone that wasn't worth the price of the minimum wage? what if they were evidently more expensive to hire than not hiring them? wouldn't I have to hire less people and make my workers have to work much harder to keep their jobs on a minimum wage if that's possible? and what if I wanted to pay someone to work less than an hour's work (I assume there is a minimum wage for an hour's work)? what if it was work that they consent personally to being paid for under a minimum wage (e.g. if it was really easy work that most people would do for free e.g. video game testing, sofa testing, etc)?

I'd just like to point out that video game testing really isn't particularly easy, fun, or something anyone would do for free lol... My brother is in the industry.
Original post by Hanvyj
I'd just like to point out that video game testing really isn't particularly easy, fun, or something anyone would do for free lol... My brother is in the industry.

then go with my example of sofa testing
Reply 184
Original post by Rakas21
It's expensive due to the amount people would receive and number of people entitled (more so than administering all the benefits we have now) and as non-means tested i could not possibly support it. Not to mention that i don't like the idea of people getting 'something for nothing' and it seems a libertarian notion that people should be free not to work.

It would be ludicrously expensive, I did some quick calculations for how much it would cost Switzerland (they're currently considering a guaranteed income) and they would need to triple their federal budget.

It would also distort incentives to work. As it is, we already have a system that, whilst not perfect, generally provides for the unemployed, the aged and disabled. Why mess with a system that has created a society that is the best educated, best housed, best clothed, longest lived and freest in the history of these isles? The society we have today is a paradise compared to 150 years ago

The basic income is enough to survive, but not enough to live. Everybody would still have to work, but as they already receive a small income, unskilled workers would be more willing to accept low salaries (as a complement). So it means less unemployment and spending cuts for companies.

Obviously, it would also mean to get rid of the welfare state and use private insurances and pensions only. I made a rough calculation for France and a basic income of 700€/month benefiting to all the French from birth to death would cost €500 billion per year. Currently, the French social expenditure is about €680bn (33% of the GDP). So basic income would represent a spending cut of €180 billion.
I hope my calculation is correct. If yes, how much would it cost for the UK?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 185
Original post by Josb
The basic income is enough to survive, but not enough to live. Everybody would still have to work, but as they already receive a small income, unskilled workers would be more willing to accept low salaries (as a complement). So it means less unemployment and spending cuts for companies.

Obviously, it would also mean to get rid of the welfare state and use private insurances and pensions only. I made a rough calculation for France and a basic income of 700€/month benefiting to all the French from birth to death would cost €500 billion per year. Currently, the French social expenditure is about €680b (33% of the GDP). So basic income would represent a cut of €180 billion.
I hope my calculation is correct. If yes, how much would it cost for the UK?

My parents are on £8k in welfare now and you can survive so don't need to work. The assumption that people would more willing to accept lower wages is also flawed, humans are a very greedy species and want to be paid for the type of job they do, we don't set a mark at £20k and accept smaller pay rises once we get there). Further, the current system already forces people into work so any gains from people accepting a lower wage would be very minimal. A basic income represents rampant inefficiency on the part of the welfare system and simply encourages welfare dependency.

The UK welfare system costs around £200bn per year, we are not all that generous so it would cost more to throw money at the middle and upper classes who morally should be receiving nothing.
Reply 186
then go with my example of sofa testing

Really? Imagine the paperwork. Unless it's full of setting up testing equipment and filling out SSR37s (Sofa Softness Report version thirty seven) like, well, pretty much most other jobs: the best it could be is sitting on sofas?

8-9 hours, five days a week of... sitting. Imagine how soul destroyingly boring it would be.... I'd rather serve fast-food, which is generally considered a menial job.
I'd make two points. The first is that, at root, you do not own the land outright. You have a (presumable) freehold estate in land, held from the crown, which is the ultimate owner of all land in this kingdom. By purchasing this estate in land, your parents consented to the rules under which land is owned. The crown holds the "allodial" title, which is sovereign title to land without any constraints. Ordinary people do not have allodial title, they have freehold title held from the crown's allodial title

where did my parents ever sign a form saying they consented to the rules of the kingdom? they live here because it is the preferred place to live, not that they personally like it. if a slave prefers one slave master over another than doesn't mean they prefer being enslaved to not being enslaved :lol: and as I've implied, the government shouldn't claim a right to land without purchasing it at least or something similar, even though that's immoral if it's done with other people's money

Say there was a little urban garden, with plots that had different owners, but also a body corporate made up of all the owners of the plots, and the body corporate would charge a fee from all the owners of the plots for the upkeep of watering systems, the external fence, and so on. In exchange, each plot owner would be a member of the ruling council of the garden. This had been agreed as a system when the garden was set up.

if you privately contract to own pieces of a garden, sure, but that's not like happening to be born in a place with guns in your face to "pay up" :lol:

Say an outsider buys a plot from one of the existing owners, but then decides he doesn't want to pay the charges owed to the body corporate for fence upkeep and irrigation. Well, he can't do that. By buying the plot from the existing owner, he is consenting to the body corporate system, and if he doesn't like it he shouldn't buy a plot in that urban garden. That is analagous to your parents' decision to buy the freehold of your property. They can't buy the freehold and then choose to opt out of the body corporate system (i.e. our governmental system).

you mean if he buys one piece he has to pay for all the pieces of garden? if thats what his contract said, I guess that's fine

The second is that your estate is not some independent island, whenever you leave your house you are using infrastructure that has been paid for by the community. You are receiving the benefits of the collective activities (like road building, water systems, electricity systems) of the community, and you also have a say in making the rules of the community.

again, just because the government owns the roads, that doesn't mean it didn't steal the money to pay for them from people like me - if I had a say, assuming I was an anarchist, I'd say I'd rather have my money back, and the government deregulated the industry of roads to private contractors

The law does not require a signature, consent can be inferred by behaviour or actions, or lack of actions.

yeah, maybe the law doesn't, because the law protects the interests of the state

When you are a baby, your parents are your guardian so they consent on your behalf. When you turn 18, you are entitled to make your own decisions about whether you continue to consent to live here and be part of this community, or to buy a yacht and live in international waters as your own king.

no they don't - they never even consent to being ruled themselves, and what if I personally say no when I turn 18 assuming they did consent to being ruled (which they didn't)?

Taxation is an arrangement that is analogous to a contract; there is a social contract between the citizenry as a whole and the government which is the body the community has charged with the execution of their collective activities.

again:
1) politics isn't legal; if a politician makes a promise, it can't be enforced, unlike for contractors
2) I never signed this invisible contract - contracts exist as writing on a piece of paper (if we're not using the law of our state), and a social contract is an imaginary concept from people who consent

Historically, that was certainly the case. But it is quite obvious that the system we live under now is undeniably quite civilised compared to what we had in the past. It is undeniable that the citizenry as a whole chooses the laws through our elected parliament, and thus gives its consent to the laws under which we live and the taxes that we pay.

not as a whole, so the anarchists' rights are being violated, and how do you think about those richer individuals who had to pay huge amounts of taxes in the past? even the middle~ class today are having to pay almost half their income

True in theory, and even true in fact. There have been examples of the majority oppressing the minority. But we are certainly better in that respect in 2014 than we have been in the past, and it's hardly an improvement to simply hand over the power of the government to private wealthy individuals so that they can oppress anyone they like with impunity and without the oversight of general public opinion and the community-at-large

what do you mean private individuals oppressing people? are you talking about corporatism/cronyism, a lack of equality in the rule of law or anarchy?

We have checks and balances in our system to mitigate the tendency to majoritarianism. Whilst it's not perfect, it is improving and it's a whole lot better than handing over the "monopoly on violence" (also known as the "policing power" in civilised realms) to private magnates and plutocrats.

I personally think our government has a very weak checks and balances system; there are literally huge numbers of ways our masters could improve it for us but they don't, and surely if they're the "wisemen" of the land who are delegated to intelligently "improve our lives through the law" then they are being extremely negligent or not concerning themselves with the best interests of their public )which I imagined was the kind of thing they do)
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Hanvyj
Really? Imagine the paperwork. Unless it's full of setting up testing equipment and filling out SSR37s (Sofa Softness Report version thirty seven) like, well, pretty much most other jobs: the best it could be is sitting on sofas?

8-9 hours, five days a week of... sitting. Imagine how soul destroyingly boring it would be.... I'd rather serve fast-food, which is generally considered a menial job.

imagine literally anything then, the specific example wasn't important - imagine a rock star, I don't know - anything you want
Reply 189
Original post by Rakas21
My parents are on £8k in welfare now and you can survive so don't need to work. The assumption that people would more willing to accept lower wages is also flawed, humans are a very greedy species and want to be paid for the type of job they do, we don't set a mark at £20k and accept smaller pay rises once we get there). Further, the current system already forces people into work so any gains from people accepting a lower wage would be very minimal. A basic income represents rampant inefficiency on the part of the welfare system and simply encourages welfare dependency.

The UK welfare system costs around £200bn per year, we are not all that generous so it would cost more to throw money at the middle and upper classes who morally should be receiving nothing.

8k would probably get you a one bedroom flat where I live, and it's not London or anything fancy. That's rent, and *just* rent. So unless you outright own property (very few people) you're never going to be able to live on that kind of money...
Reply 190
no they don't - they never even consent to being ruled themselves, and what if I personally say no when I turn 18 assuming they did consent to being ruled (which they didn't)?

Then you leave the country? If you don't want to live under these laws... bugger off I guess.
Original post by SocialistIC
I only said that because people seem to have no idea of what Marx actually put forward.

I know. I was just messing around and showing how stupid a lot fo people are (including me) in thinking they know everything about something they haven't actually looked into properly.

Original post by SocialistIC

I'm a lefty and I'm quite fond of Adam Smith. This is my favourite quote about him: "He's pre-capitalist, a figure of the Enlightenment. What we would call capitalism he despised. People read snippets of Adam Smith, the few phrases they teach in school. Everybody reads the first paragraph of The Wealth of Nations where he talks about how wonderful the division of labor is. But not many people get to the point hundreds of pages later, where he says that division of labor will destroy human beings and turn people into creatures as stupid and ignorant as it is possible for a human being to be. And therefore in any civilized society the government is going to have to take some measures to prevent division of labor from proceeding to its limits." Noam Chomsky

Exactly what I am getting at.
Original post by Hanvyj
Then you leave the country? If you don't want to live under these laws... bugger off I guess.

I answered this already twice but I'll explain to you because I know you're obviously not trying to make me say it repeatedly because you probably didn't notice me say it the first time:
1) the government doesn't have a legitimate contractual or voluntary (so, the "moral") claim on the ownership of the country or at least my land
2) saying "you can bugger off" isn't actually being helpful because again, I could be a black person in apartheid africa protesting the regime and then if someone came around and said "you're always free to move!" when I'm saying "I shouldn't need to be turfed out of my country" then they don't have a moral high ground. I could equally say this to any statist situation where someone is saying "hey, you're always free to move to another country where basically the exact same thing will happen there"
Reply 193
Original post by Hanvyj
8k would probably get you a one bedroom flat where I live, and it's not London or anything fancy. That's rent, and *just* rent. So unless you outright own property (very few people) you're never going to be able to live on that kind of money...

I should have qualified that by saying that this is only the amount that was relevant to my student finance application, it's plausible that it did not include housing and council tax benefit.
1) so if I steal from someone's bank account through threats/application of violence, pay most of it on "serving them" in unknown and bureaucratic ways, wasting some of it and then giving some for myself for doing "such a great day's work", is that okay? do I have a right to do that from robbery?
2) how does the government even have a right to establish itself, though? if I was born here and I established my home somewhere in the south west, why does the government have a right to tax me to even possess it via council tax? it's a question of "who has the right to steal from whom and why", not "you can always leave", if stealing is wrong; I didn't choose to live here, I was born here either way, and I was here before any tax man of the current government found me

I'm a leftist-anarchist/libertarian socialist/whatever you want to call it so I think in an ideal world there wouldn't need to be taxes but I think your overall "taxes are theft. we need a free market" beliefs are pretty naive. Take a company like Amazon for example. They rely on the internet that owes a lot to publicly payed scientists, they transport products along roads that are payed built etc so aren't they the ones that are stealing from the government by not paying taxes? You're also ignoring the fact that a lot of large businesses have relied on massive government subsidies. If there weren't governments during the 2008 financial crisis, the world's financial system would have crashed because the banks went bust from the buying and selling of mortgage backed securities and they relied on massive bank bailouts from governments.
with the government they enforce laws that individual people don't like or have much choice over

And that's precisely what could happen in an anarchistic society. If the wealthy magnate next door uses his private army to take you into slavery, and you have not opted into a police force, the general community might well decide it's more trouble than it's worth to declare war on the magnate to get you back.

in terms of if someone gets kidnapped, I see no reason why individuals who have an interest in that person kidnapped would hire out their own services to get that person back

That's presuming they have sufficient resources to challenge the wealthy magnate's private army. In more remote areas like the Caithness, you could have one very wealthy landowner being the largest employer and richest man in the area, few people would dare to cross him.

and even better if multiple people instrutcted their police services to detect the missing person (with the payment/full payment being made upon success).

By what right do these private police forces enter the wealthy magnate's estate? Under the anarchist system, they have absolutely no right to compel the wealthy magnate to allow them into his estate to rescue the slave.

if the town you were in found out about keeping slaves and, as this is my personal prediction in an anarchist society, if they had such an issue with this that they all came together in some kind of club, e.g. the "anti-enslaves society" and got all their policemen out to get all those that committed slavery, then that would stop you

What right do they have to enter my private lands, and take my slaves, who under my law are my personal property?

you might negotiate to not enslave those people any more so long as our society didn't cause you any further trouble.

Or I might tell them to go **** themselves, given I am the largest landowner in the region, I am the largest trading partner of the town and many of the town's citizens are employed on my estates, and my daughter is married to the son of the richest merchant in the town. My influence in the town far exceeds the influence of some random newcomer to the town.

If they try to come and take my slaves, there will be violence as my estate is well fortified and as I don't have any tax to pay, my private army is well-paid and armed to the teeth. When the board of the town's police service considers what action to take, they come to the conclusion that it's not worth starting a war to get back one person, who is a newcomer anyway and doesn't have any family or much wealth

by "police force" I mean that flexibly; calling it an army isn't going to make it categorically any more effective than other people's services

I'm calling it a private army to distinguish it from a police force which would involve opting into certain rules or laws. They are my private army because they follow my commands, rather than enforcing rules.

Fundamentally, it seems that this anarchistic society, would involve many injustices and regular use of force, the only distinction being that the use of force would be exercised by countless private armies and militias rather than a centralised state.
(edited 10 years ago)
And that's precisely what could happen in an anarchistic society. If the wealthy magnate next door uses his private army to take you into slavery, and you have not opted into a police force, the general community might well decide it's more trouble than it's worth to declare war on the magnate to get you back.

so what? you're recognising the imperfection of a human institution. anarchism isn't by default a libertarian society (that's why I'm a libertarian opposed to an anarchist because I simply see minarchy as easier) whereas anarchism is a contract-based society whereby force could be successful against individuals, I suggested that it was more morally legitimate to have a society where most transactions are voluntary opposed to coerced, even if some people don't have the money for a private police force

That's presuming they have sufficient resources to challenge the wealthy magnate's private army. In more remote areas like the Caithness, you could have one very wealthy landowner being the largest employer and richest man in the area, few people would dare to cross him.

which they may or may not have, sure, but they could also still be given money from other community's charity groups e.g. that "anti-slavery society" I talked about

By what right do these private police forces enter the wealthy magnate's estate? Under the anarchist system, they have absolutely no right to compel the wealthy magnate to allow them into his estate to rescue the slave.

are you asking in particular what right they have to free the slave? there is no government; "rights" are based on either private contracts or there are no "rights" in the sense of positive liberties if they aren't enforced. in an anarchist society, if someone is being enslaved without a contract, then it is up to the volunteers of the society to stop the slavery through their private agencies/their contracted trained users of force.

What right do they have to enter my private lands, and take my slaves, who under my law are my personal property?

I think I probably already explained this in the answer above - this isn't a libertarian constitutional society, this is anarchy we're talking about; everything moves not by law but by interests.

Or I might tell them to go **** themselves, given I am the largest landowner in the region, I am the largest trading partner of the town and many of the town's citizens are employed on my estates, and my daughter is married to the son of the richest merchant in the town. My influence in the town far exceeds the influence of some random newcomer to the town.

you might do or you might not seeing as you'll probably be starting a mini war whereby the citizens probably have the power to beat you into submission for their own safety, and if they don't, then either they'll die trying or they'll aim to move as far away from you as possible and your land will not be popular, and therefore you'll get no money from rents

If they try to come and take my slaves, there will be violence as my estate is well fortified and as I don't have any tax to pay, my private army is well-paid and armed to the teeth. When the board of the town's police service considers what action to take, they come to the conclusion that it's not worth starting a war to get back one person, who is a newcomer anyway and doesn't have any family or much wealth

I hope you realise I'm not actually disagreeing with what you're saying, I was simply giving you the anarchist theory :lol: but if you have effectively a castle built just so you can enslave people I think that's probably going to cost you more than it pays you in unpaid labour

I'm calling it a private army to distinguish it from a police force which would involve opting into certain rules or laws. They are my private army because they follow my commands, rather than enforcing rules.

that's what the privately police force does - executes your own contract of "rules" (so one's own private laws) that you wish to be executed for money. the courts of which will probably (or at least predictably) be working co-operatively with the courts whenever there is a dispute between two police/militant/combatant companies on the basis of skill/popularity etc whereby negotiations will be cheaper usually than using violence to risk the lives of their companies' workers
where did my parents ever sign a form saying they consented to the rules of the kingdom?

They don't have to sign a form, the law doesn't require a signature for there to be consent. By buying the freehold, they are implicitly consenting to the rules under which property can be acquired and disposed of, given that the mechanism of the transfer of the property from one party to another is the land law you are claiming they are not bound by.

they live here because it is the preferred place to live, not that they personally like it

And the rules of the community in which they live must play a part in determining their preference.

if a slave prefers one slave master over another than doesn't mean they prefer being enslaved to not being enslaved :lol: and as I've implied, the government shouldn't claim a right to land without purchasing it at least or something similar, even though that's immoral if it's done with other people's money

The crown's claim on that land far predates your own parents' proprietary interest in it.

How is it immoral for the state to use money raised by taxation? Is it immoral for me to pay a company to do something?

if you privately contract to own pieces of a garden, sure, but that's not like happening to be born in a place with guns in your face to "pay up" :lol:

That's a nonsensical comparison given that in an armed robbery, you can't just walk away. Living in this country, you can absolutely walk away (move somewhere else in the world) if you don't agree to the rules of the community.

you mean if he buys one piece he has to pay for all the pieces of garden? if thats what his contract said, I guess that's fine

It's not "if he buys one piece he has to pay for all the pieces of the garden", if he buys his plot he has to pay a charge to the body corporate which benefits all the plot-holders equally. This is the same as your relationship with the state.

again, just because the government owns the roads, that doesn't mean it didn't steal the money to pay for them from people like me

They didn't steal the money from you, the citizenry as a whole raised the money with the collective consent of the citizenry, to build the roads. Theft has a very specific legal meaning, and taxation simply does not fit into that specific, legal definition. You will have to find another word to describe "taxation with which the taxee disagrees".

- if I had a say, assuming I was an anarchist, I'd say I'd rather have my money back, and the government deregulated the industry of roads to private contractors

Okay, if you want to opt out of the state, the government can give you your money back, and build a very high fence around your property to ensure you never use any of the state's resources.

yeah, maybe the law doesn't, because the law protects the interests of the state

That's a ludicrous statement. If I have been beaten up by a criminal, and the police arrest the criminal, put him on trial and imprison him, how is that law protecting the interests of the state? How does it protect the interests of the state to provide services to the disabled and unemployed (minority interests of generally disadvantaged and disenfranchised people)?

You can say no when you turn 18 by leaving the country. If you decide to stay in the country, you are agreeing to live by the rules that the community has agreed.

again:
1) politics isn't legal; if a politician makes a promise, it can't be enforced, unlike for contractors

Because a political promise isn't a contract; contracts require consideration to move from the promisee, what consideration is moving from the promisee in this case?

2) I never signed this invisible contract - contracts exist as writing on a piece of paper

You seem to be confused. Contracts do not need to be on paper, haven't you ever heard of a verbal contract? When you buy a newspaper from a store, that is a contract that has just been executed. When did you sign on a piece of paper that you would pay the store owner for the newspaper?

The fact that there is no piece of paper doesn't mean a contract doesn't exist. With respect, you are not well-educated when it comes to the law, so you really should consider whether you truly understand the terms you're using (relating to both contracts and the criminal law viz. theft)

not as a whole, so the anarchists' rights are being violated, and how do you think about those richer individuals who had to pay huge amounts of taxes in the past? even the middle~ class today are having to pay almost half their income

Oh no, wealthy people have had to pay a lot of tax. That's clearly far worse than having a society where slavery exists, as it would under your anarchist state. :rolleyes:

what do you mean private individuals oppressing people? are you talking about corporatism/cronyism, a lack of equality in the rule of law or anarchy?

Under your anarchist system, might makes right. If a billionaire sets up a private army and uses it to oppress the people in his region and force them to pay taxes to him, who is going to stop him?
(long list of replies)

look, we have reached the inevitable point where replying to each other is going to take forever each time so I'll leave you with this: there are imperfections of anarcho-capitalism and nobody is denying that, but it to some is the more morally legitimate society because there is no central office of institutionalised robbery (the state, specifically the government) and instead all acts are presumably peaceful seeing as violence is probably going to be expensive. I, as I've said before, am not an anarchist, I simply acknowledge the fact that taxation is theft - maybe we can cut a deal and say that it's "subjective necessary theft", but still theft :lol:
maybe we can cut a deal and say that it's "subjective necessary theft", but still theft :lol:

I'm not trying to be provocative, but you are not well-educated when it comes to law; theft has a specific legal meaning. If you don't even know what that meaning is, how are you placed to comment on what is theft and what is not?

In any case, in the post above you just admitted you are a minarchist so you have accepted that taxation would exist. Once you have conceded that fundamental point, every single one of your objections about taxation essentially collapses and we are merely debating what is the correct level of taxation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending