The Student Room Group

Minimum Wage

Scroll to see replies

I'm definitely all for the concept but as it currently stands it needs to go up!
Original post by Sunny_Smiles
"here, let me punch you in the face until you do what I want you to do because you're too evil and stupid to do if without me threatening you" -

Kind of. You would only get punched in the face in you refused to pay tax and then tried to resist arrest etc or got violent with the law enforcement. Of course people like me were also voted in by fellow citizens so not everyone will dislike it. Especially as a large proportion of society can benefit from it themselves. But ye, some exceedingly rich person doesn't want to give a small amount of his wealth to help those that generate his profit or to those who are in need of help then tough ****, he will feel the force of the law.

I'm not trying to dance around what I believe in. Or trying to preach I have found the one true moral/economic/philosophical truth like you are with your extreme individualism. You're entitled to your belief but it is annoying when you can't seem to even comprehend that is is only a philosophical view point, not some scientific absolute truth like gravity.
and again, if we had no welfare state, mutual aid societies would most likely voluntarily perform the tasks with the larger degree of necessity/interest.

So why was poverty so wide spread in say the vicotrian era when the things such as the welfare state and government were so much smaller. Why has poverty dropped massively as these state institutions you despise increased? Why in places like India where there is massive amount of wealth are there so many who are poor? Why are the mega rich not falling over themselves to give away their wealth?

Lets say you are right though and people would help each other of their own accord. Great. Humanity has grown and we should be grateful to the wise mr smiley leading us there.

But lets also consider another scenario. Say people do not behave in the way you predict and leading us to your libertarian utopia. What would you do if enough people were not giving away enough wealth to charity to stop poverty? What if the socioeconomic problems of the past re-emerge? What would you do? Out of interest.

and honestly, there are already homeless people in the streets today, what would you suppose should be done about it? make it illegal to become homeless? make it illegal to fail?

I know. Most people walk past them without even looking at them.

I propose we continue being compassionate and humane and don't resort back to the society you want in which I believe there would be even more homeless on the streets.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Kind of. You would only get punched in the face in you refused to pay tax and then tried to resist arrest etc or got violent with the law enforcement. Of course people like me were also voted in by fellow citizens so not everyone will dislike it.

this is getting really pointless now - you're assuming that an anarchist would recognise a democracy, which would be nothing more than tyranny by the masses. tyranny is still tyranny. using "we all voted on it" with someone who doesn't even want a government (or at least a legislature) is pointless. consider a ballot as a signing of an "I accept to play the political game I can't possibly win as a sheep against wolves and then accept the responsibility of having to accept the result" agreement

Especially as a large proportion of society can benefit from it themselves.

it's not about what people can benefit from if it involves immoral behaviour to get that benefit

But ye, some exceedingly rich person doesn't want to give a small amount of his wealth to help those that generate his profit or to those who are in need of help then tough ****, he will feel the force of the law.

and bringing in rich people to target, right on scheme. it's got nothing to do with who's got money, it's about who's got rights - everybody does. even rich people.

I'm not trying to dance around what I believe in. Or trying to preach I have found the one true moral/economic/philosophical truth like you are with your extreme individualism.

yawn.

You're entitled to your belief but it is annoying when you can't seem to even comprehend that is is only a philosophical view point, not some scientific absolute truth like gravity.

who said I thought that? everything I say is my opinion. if you're referring to the fact that I haven't said "in my opinion" after literally everything I say I could say that for everybody else here.
So why was poverty so wide spread in say the vicotrian era when the things such as the welfare state and government were so much smaller. Why has poverty dropped massively as these state institutions you despise increased?

again, the victorian era was in a time where technology hadn't come around and everything was very expensive. the market and competition slowly caused them to become cheaper with more competitive means of producing the goods and the obvious factor of price competition. it's the same with calling an extremely poor country like somalia an example of a free market.

Why in places like India where there is massive amount of wealth are there so many who are poor? Why are the mega rich not falling over themselves to give away their wealth?

1) india is getting richer all the time; remember, they began industrial capitalism much later than the other countries in europe, america, etc. the fact that there are other problems doesn't help either e.g. a history of colonialism, over-population, etc - india is also notorious for its corruption/cronyism.
2) why should the rich have to be expected to do that for absolutely no reason? I suggested that if they were family or friends or people with a self-interest in helping others, then they should help; in terms of self-interest, the members of the mutual aid societies (which did exist, mind you) would be members of it as an insurance so if they came into troubled times they could rely on the other members, and the other members could rely on them. they had a self-interest in it. if there was no self interest (e.g. taking care of people that they know wouldn't pay them back for their efforts) then there'd be no point. if there are people that can't work, then their family/friends are the people to be looked at.

Lets say you are right though and people would help each other of their own accord. Great. Humanity has grown and we should be grateful to the wise mr smiley leading us there.

But lets also consider another scenario. Say people do not behave in the way you predict and leading us to your libertarian utopia. What would you do if enough people were not giving away enough wealth to charity to stop poverty? What if the socioeconomic problems of the past re-emerge? What would you do? Out of interest.

what do you mean "what would I do"? as an individual? if I had an interest in helping others, I'd help others. if I didn't and it would cost me more to help than it would to help myself, then I wouldn't. consider it personal-utilitarianism.

I know. Most people walk past them without even looking at them.

hah, you'd be extremely surprised how many times I've given them money in the streets where my university is, given I might have been hammered most of the times

I propose we continue being compassionate and humane and don't resort back to the society you want in which I believe there would be even more homeless on the streets.

how about this: if your family/friends become homeless - you should help them, as you probably have a personal interest in doing so, so it would make sense. you should, also, make a lot of friends so that in the time of crisis you have people who want to help you, as should everybody else - consider the result a more friendly society.
also, I really don't have the time to keep going back and forth so make your next message your last
also, I really don't have the time to keep going back and forth so make your next message your last

Hey! I said the same ages ago :tongue:
Reply 267
He deosn't even think that. The weak and unemployable should just be left alone to die.

Not only that, but imagine the crime... Theft is fine. Murder? Okay, unless someone cares enough to stop you. Basically anything goes. The strongest (read richest) can just persecute everyone.

The main problem I see with this utopia with no rules is people would naturally group together. In order to do that they'd set down some rules. Private police forces would develop. You'd have an opt-in but eventually things would progress that you had to pay the private police force and follow the local rules if you wanted to live somewhere. You'd just end up with micro-government and most likely some kind of feudal system developing. Give it a 1000 years and things would naturally progress until, for everyone's safety and well-being they formed some kind of... central... government...
(edited 10 years ago)
Kind of. You would only get punched in the face in you refused to pay tax and then tried to resist arrest etc or got violent with the law enforcement. Of course people like me were also voted in by fellow citizens so not everyone will dislike it. Especially as a large proportion of society can benefit from it themselves. But ye, some exceedingly rich person doesn't want to give a small amount of his wealth to help those that generate his profit or to those who are in need of help then tough ****, he will feel the force of the law.

I'm not trying to dance around what I believe in. Or trying to preach I have found the one true moral/economic/philosophical truth like you are with your extreme individualism. You're entitled to your belief but it is annoying when you can't seem to even comprehend that is is only a philosophical view point, not some scientific absolute truth like gravity.

Personally I'd just like less glue-sniffing scallys roaming the streets and if it takes a tax contribution to do that then so be it.

:wink:
...are you presuming all property in the remote depths of history originated from theft?

Well, I was willing to discuss some abstract 'immaculate conception property' style scenario, but yes, historically that is what happened:

For more detail: http://www.mutualist.org/id4.html

but doesn't that mean if all property is stolen, they, the thief from the past, simply stole from another thief seeing as all property comes from theft? so doesn't that cancel out the badness?

I don't see how you work that out.

what if property originated from a guy finding something (be it abandoned/unused land or some kind of similar possession) and simply said "this is mine" and nobody contested it? is that theft? who'd they steal the property from? mother nature? or...god? :lol: I don't see who could have possibly come to own the property before them if nobody around before them except maybe animals?

He wouldn't be stealing it, no, but why does he have any rights to it? Why does simply finding something and declaring it to be yours automatically give you the rights to forcefully exclude others from it?

because either I own something and have the claim of possession over it, or I don't, and therefore I don't have that right, right?

Not at all. Ownership is often explained as a 'bundle of rights' that by no means necessarily go together,
Original post by anarchism101
Well, I was willing to discuss some abstract 'immaculate conception property' style scenario, but yes, historically that is what happened:

For more detail: http://www.mutualist.org/id4.html

I don't see how you work that out.

He wouldn't be stealing it, no, but why does he have any rights to it? Why does simply finding something and declaring it to be yours automatically give you the rights to forcefully exclude others from it?

Not at all. Ownership is often explained as a 'bundle of rights' that by no means necessarily go together,

I'd continue this with you but yesterday I was actually reported in this thread for being off-topic (as we're not talking about the minimum wage now) so I'd rather not risk that happening again
For- every person who works should be paid enough to live in relative comfort.
Reply 272
Definitely for it. It makes sure working pays over welfare dependency and reduces the need for as much spending on in-work benefits so getting rid of it would lead to higher benefit expenditure by the government. Plus there's the moral side; you can say it makes businesses pay more than someone's worth but I'd say making sure they don't pay less than someone's worth is a bigger issue.
Besides, I imagine the extra spending money and security the MW money gives people leads to more jobs being created than those being taken away by businesses. The service industry has been growing pretty well since the introduction of minimum wage after all.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending