The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Brown people on tsr do you think white people are naturally racist ?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by poohat
You've kind of missed the point. Its not that white people have a gene that makes them prefer white people, and that black people have a gene that makes them prefer black people. Its that everyone is wired to view the world in terms of "people like me and my close relatives" vs "people not like me". In-group vs out-group discrimination is pretty fundamental and is observed in essentially every human society in history.

So yes what you have said is true to some extent, but irrelevant.

Tbh the whole experiment presupposes that the babies have an understanding of race which is Eurocentric rather than scientific

Some people class throw Chinese, Koreans, Japanese etc in the same category as White people because they both have pale skin. Would a curly dark-haired White baby prefer a curly dark-haired Black baby friend over a White straight-haired blonde babyfriend?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 21
Original post by yo radical one
Tbh the whole experiment presupposes that the babies have an understanding of race which is Eurocentric rather than scientific

Babies obviously arent operating with sophisticated concepts of race but its pretty obvious that black people look different to white people at an immediate visual level.

I dont know what you mean by 'eurocentric' here, this behaviour is present in all races.

Some people class throw Chinese, Koreans, Japanese etc in the same category as White people because they both have pale skin. Would a curly dark-haired White baby prefer a curly dark-haired Black baby friend over a White straight-haired blonde babyfriend?

There is a lot of evidence showing that people struggle to distinguish between members of races other than their own ("all black people look alike"), and that this is present in babies. See for example: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/04/racist-babies-nine-month-olds-bias-faces_n_1477937.html

Noone classifies Chinese/etc people with white people, you just made that up.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by poohat
Babies obviously arent operating with sophisticated concepts of race but its pretty obvious that black people look different to white people at an immediate visual level.

Blonde pale Irish people look pretty different to Dark French people, even though both are White, where do you draw the line of differences?

Original post by poohat

There is a lot of evidence showing that people struggle to distinguish between members of races other than their own ("all black people look alike"), and that this is present in babies. See for example: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/04/racist-babies-nine-month-olds-bias-faces_n_1477937.html

Noone classifies Chinese/etc people with white people, you just made that up.

No I didn't, in Brazil race is defined exclusively on skin tone so you can (theoretically) have situations where people say they are a different race to their siblings, if one happens to be darker, even if they both had the same parents. Or in America, Pacific Islanders used to be catergorised with Black Africans. My point is there is no unified concept of race.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 23
Original post by yo radical one
Blonde pale Irish people look pretty different to Dark French people, even though both are White, where do you draw the line of differences?.

'I' dont draw the line anywhere, the question is how people actually behave.

Chinese and Korean people look very different too, if you have spent a lot of time in China and Korea. No East Asian would confuse them, certainly. But to most Europeans, they look very similar.

No I didn't, in Brazil race is defined exclusively on skin tone so you can (theoretically) have situations where people say they are a different race to their siblings, if one happens to be darker, even if they both had the same parents.I dont know much about Brazil but I seriously doubt that they categorize Japanese people alongside German people based on similar skin tones.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by 99%
White people are seen as more racist because they take over the world, India, Australia, America, Africa and the footprint they leave behind after leaving is not a good one its full of slaughter destruction and mass scales of murder of other colonies.

That's why people perceive them as more racist. Maybe it's true, but not white people, but in fact American And British people. And in Russia only whites are allowed. They attack blacks and gays. In Israel they ethnic cleansed black people by giving them secret abortions.

So they can be generally more racist as every other race was the oppressed one and because of Russia Israel UK and America...including now Australia. They are generally more racist on a large scale.

This doesn't really show that they are more racist, just more able to act upon those prejudices on a large scale.
Reply 25
Original post by theoferdinand
Do you?

I'e do you think they are born that way.

If so why?

Yes I think all white people racist

I believe that all white people raised in a society where racism has been and still is common will have internalized various elements of racist thinking.

So in countries where beliefs in white superiority have been embedded, it is likely that everyone in such places will have ingested some of that conditioning.

Can non white people be racist ?

People of color can be racist in theory, but not in practice.

Black people in an authority positions can discriminate against a white person but this kind of thing rarely happens because,

A) There are very few non-white people in those positions relative to whites in authority.

B) There are ALWAYS authorities above those people of color who are white, and who would not stand for such actions

C) Even in cases where a person of color sits atop of a power structure (as with President Obama), he is not truly free to do anything to oppress or marginalize white people (even were he so inclined), given his own need to attract white support in order to win election or pass any of his policy agenda.

There are no institutional structures in the U.K. in which people of color exercise final and controlling authority: not in the school systems, labour market, justice system, housing markets, financial markets, or media.

As such, the ability of black and brown folks to oppress white people does not exist
Having said that, in countries such as Nigeria, Ghana, China, Japan, Jamaica or India it's true that people of color could have power sufficient to discriminate against whites

Although even anti-white bias in those places is somewhat limited by the reality of global economics and the desire for good relations with the West,

Whites think they are a better judge of racism because they think blacks or non white people imagine racism

The truth is blacks imagine little. Discrimination in hiring, housing and education has been well documented. The government should take forceful action to end it as it goes against value of equal opportunity for all regardless of race.

Yet no white person talks like that.

At best they will admit to discrimination but then discount its effects. Or they will say they believe in equality of opportunity but then find reasons to oppose any policy with the teeth to achieve it.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Kruz
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Did Brown people colonize the world?

lol
they would if they could, every nation would have acted exactly like europeans had they the power. if europeans hadnt of found that power (superior technology and science) you wouldnt be typing this right now, so slavery and oppression were a bit like unavoidabke birth pains of the modern world tbh.
look at the bright side:
now we can all just get along and let by gones be by gones :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 27
No.
Haha 'Brown people'.
Original post by Kruz
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Did Brown people colonize the world?

18/19th Century 'Brown' People would have if they had the same power base which the European Empires did at that point.

Every nation on earth at the time, if powerful enough would have followed the same exact model of trying to accumulate the most power. It's just that White people were the most successful in doing it.
Original post by LpoolDel
Yes I think all white people racist

I believe that all white people raised in a society where racism has been and still is common will have internalized various elements of racist thinking.

So in countries where beliefs in white superiority have been embedded, it is likely that everyone in such places will have ingested some of that conditioning.

Can non white people be racist ?

People of color can be racist in theory, but not in practice.

Black people in an authority positions can discriminate against a white person but this kind of thing rarely happens because,

A) There are very few non-white people in those positions relative to whites in authority.

B) There are ALWAYS authorities above those people of color who are white, and who would not stand for such actions

C) Even in cases where a person of color sits atop of a power structure (as with President Obama), he is not truly free to do anything to oppress or marginalize white people (even were he so inclined), given his own need to attract white support in order to win election or pass any of his policy agenda.

There are no institutional structures in the U.K. in which people of color exercise final and controlling authority: not in the school systems, labour market, justice system, housing markets, financial markets, or media.

As such, the ability of black and brown folks to oppress white people does not exist
Having said that, in countries such as Nigeria, Ghana, China, Japan, Jamaica or India it's true that people of color could have power sufficient to discriminate against whites

Although even anti-white bias in those places is somewhat limited by the reality of global economics and the desire for good relations with the West,

Whites think they are a better judge of racism because they think blacks or non white people imagine racism

The truth is blacks imagine little. Discrimination in hiring, housing and education has been well documented. The government should take forceful action to end it as it goes against value of equal opportunity for all regardless of race.

Yet no white person talks like that.

At best they will admit to discrimination but then discount its effects. Or they will say they believe in equality of opportunity but then find reasons to oppose any policy with the teeth to achieve it.

What do you make of South Africa? White people there are said to have most of the economic power, but lack any political power.

Thus, white poverty is increasing exponentially, and white (mostly farmer) genocide has been ignored both by the government and the international community, the murder rate of white farmers being one of the highest of any ethnic group within a country in the entre world.

Where are the anti-apartheid protestors now? Silent.
Original post by can'tbeleftblank
ethnic minorities feel it's within their rights to counter years of racism back at us despite the fact (the younger generation) never had anything to do with the original racism.

Haha this is the same bull**** I have heard so many racist individuals spout!

I am not saying you're racist at all but this is so ignorant, racism is still very much alive and well. Minorities are not hating and blaming every white person for what goes on now let alone what happened hundreds of years ago.
Original post by poohat
For good or ill, the UK is demonstrably one of the most racially tolerant countries in the world: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2013/05/15/a-fascinating-map-of-the-worlds-most-and-least-racially-tolerant-countries/ (in fact almost all racially tolerant countries are located in Western Europe and the anglosphere - the entire concept of treating all races equally is largely a 20th century European invention, and a historical anomaly. The vast majority of societies in world history are, and have always been, incredibly racist)

If the UK was 'racist' then it wouldnt have been willing to let so many non-white people into the country and grant them citizenship and full rights. But then, give people an inch and they take a mile.

I was listening until you made that racist generalisation. You can't be taken seriously if you expect all non-white people to be greedy. As that IS what you're saying right there.
What about all the non British immigrants that also happen to be white?
No mention there, which is convenient.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 34
Original post by Harrie Lyons
lol
they would if they could, every nation would have acted exactly like europeans had they the power. if europeans hadnt of found that power (superior technology and science) you wouldnt be typing this right now, so slavery and oppression were a bit like unavoidabke birth pains of the modern world tbh.
look at the bright side:
now we can all just get along and let by gones be by gones :smile:

Not true

What happened in Africa and North America could have happened in Europe too.

If the Mongols would have had similar agenda to white Europeans. They would have taken over the lands, killed off the armies of Europe, which they almost did, and then gathered rest of the Europeans and marched them off to the reservations.

There would be a small territory of Britain in the Orkeny islands, perhaps one small bit in Ireland, one reservation in Lapland and there would have been a territory of European Nation in present day Spain into which all the Germans, Poles, Austrians, Italians, French would have been marched into. And then. only few years later, that territory would have been made available to all mongols for free.

European languages would have been banned. European religions would have been banned and places of worship destroyed, priests killed, political leaders imprisoned. European clothes and hairstyles would have been banned and European children would have been taken to schools where they would have learned only Mongolian history and language.

THAT COULD HAVE HAPPENED EASILY IN 1200's

If the mongols would have had similar ideas as those whites who went to America and Africa and Asia and Oz.

Remember white people (Europeans) would be nowhere without four Chinese inventions: gunpowder, the compass, paper and the printing press. Their rise to world power was built on these.

Marco Polo brought Gunpowder back to Europe and soon as whites got a hold of it, they used it to kill and that is the difference, whites love to kill more than other races

O yes they do !!

I used to watch them, as a kid, when my dad used to take me to a farm in North Wales. I'd watch white people when they shoot at rabbits or something and when they shot and killed something, they'd lose their freaking minds and just go CRAZY, start shouting and screaming like they were really getting their kicks
After lunch flaming?
Why do most white girls 'prefer' white guys? We're just ugly, obviously.

Australia is quite backwards and crass compared to other predominantly white nations.

The level of disresepect, snobbery and discrimination towards the aborigines is so disgusting that it puts me off going there. I've also seen the way that some of them speak about Indians and know that there have been racially aggravated murders and attacks on newly arrived and established Indian people in Australia. Evn the Indian press recommended against going to Australia. I'm not even forgetting that Indian society is in itself quite a xenophobic and dogged by discriminatory caste structure.

This is another level though.
(edited 10 years ago)
No, but I do find some users very intolerant to different ways of thinking/ point-of-views of people from other cultures.
Yes, white people are generally racist.

Latest

Trending

Trending