The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Do you plan to leave the UK after university?

Scroll to see replies

For everyone that says they are so fed up with the UK, so was I. I was pissed off about the tuition rises, I was annoyed at the people I lived with in halls for keeping me awake all night, I was annoyed at the immigration, the EU, the rise of the tube in London. I left, and honestly, I miss it soooo much. It's so easy to play on all the UKs negatives when you think a better country may be elsewhere. That may be true, but from my experience, I cannot wait to come back!
Reply 21
I know loads of people that want to go to Qatar or the UAE, because they not only pay well but you get given a free car and house. But who knows, I'd probably only leave if I can't find a job here.
Original post by i-love-coffee
For everyone that says they are so fed up with the UK, so was I. I was pissed off about the tuition rises, I was annoyed at the people I lived with in halls for keeping me awake all night, I was annoyed at the immigration, the EU, the rise of the tube in London. I left, and honestly, I miss it soooo much. It's so easy to play on all the UKs negatives when you think a better country may be elsewhere. That may be true, but from my experience, I cannot wait to come back!

very interesting wherebouts are yeh now?
Reply 23
I don't plan to, but if the opportunity came up to go to somewhere better then I'd take it.
Yes! My Australian passport is calling me. I would probably end up moving back here though after a few years...
Maybe...

Annoyed at the immigration, so you became an immigrant...

I have 0 plans to stay in the UK after graduating, but I know it is something that's easier said than done. Realistically I think that I'm gonna have to stay and get some experience first.

The reason isn't because I hate living in England... There's a whole world out there, why limit yourself to living in one country all your life?
Original post by tommydeaks

I have 0 plans to stay in the UK after graduating, but I know it is something that's easier said than done. Realistically I think that I'm gonna have to stay and get some experience first.

The reason isn't because I hate living in England... There's a whole world out there, why limit yourself to living in one country all your life?

- doesn't like foreign people
- moves to a foreign country

with that logic i wouldn't trust her judgement on anything else
Reply 28
Might work abroad a bit for the experience, but I have no desire to live anywhere else on a long term basis. But I guess I can never know what the future holds.
So immigration is only bad when people move to your country, and not when you move elsewhere? :rolleyes:

But I agree with your overall point; a lot of people don't realise the positive aspects of life in the UK until they move away.
wouldn't really want to move tbh, possibly Canada as i have a bit of family out there doing well but even so that would be a long way away!

the way I see it, a lot of Europe is in the sh**er economy wise, america is a pain with healthcare insurance and the way they pay for uni is absurd, makes me feel lucky to have such a "cheap" degree.

I like the UK. its safe and doing pretty good.
Original post by Sanctimonious
Both Vancouver and Toronto are truly incredible places, English is the spoken language making integration easier, similar ways to us, incredibly picturesque with great wildlife, great deals on property can be had etc.

Unless you have a couple of years work relevant experience and a degree in an area that Canada actually needs, you won't get a visa.
Reply 32
Hell yeah.
Original post by I love shopping
I know 3K to 9K was a huge jump, especially after the promises Clegg made, but i think we should still be grateful that we don't have to pay upfront. Anybody can get a student loan in this country and go to uni if they want, whereas in a lot of other countries if your parents can't pay upfront or are not eligible for a private bank loan because of low income, you won't be able to go to uni.

This is what's happening to me...:cry2:
Original post by trustmeimlying1
very interesting wherebouts are yeh now?

France! :smile:
Original post by tommydeaks

I'm not annoyed at people immigrating, I'm annoyed at the the open-door EU policy which I think doesn't particularly help the UK economy.

Not sure why your asking me that when I have moved abroad for that exact reason.

and you dont like it:?

why not ....ud think it would be one of the nicer countries
Original post by returnmigrant
Unless you have a couple of years work relevant experience and a degree in an area that Canada actually needs, you won't get a visa.

Don't you think I've already looked into all that?

I don't need a VISA to start off as I'm a British citizen. I can move there with funds to support myself, find a job and then apply for a work permit to extend my stay. Its pretty much the same process most of my friends had to go through to move to Australia.

Difference is France is very different. They speak a different language, different culture and way of life. This will make a lot of things different so I'd imagine its a lot harder to integrate and feel at home as opposed to English speaking countries. I've considered Norway too but again I'd face similar issues there although a lot of them speak good English.
I'm not annoyed at people immigrating, I'm annoyed at the the open-door EU policy which I think doesn't particularly help the UK economy.

Not sure why your asking me that when I have moved abroad for that exact reason.

That last statement was more rhetorical than aimed at anyone in particular.

Do you think the freedom of movement for workers has a more detrimental effect on the UK's economy (tip - it doesn't) than it does in France? How can you be annoyed at free movement of persons in the EU when you've taken advantage of it yourself?
(edited 9 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending