The Student Room Group

Black Culture is the new black.

Recently, I read an article written by Sierra Mannie - an African American undergraduate who wrote a very thought provoking article called Dear White Gays: Stop Stealing Black Female Culture.

The appropriation of Black Culture by white people is something that has been ticking me off for a long time. It is not ok for white people to be able adorn Black Culture like a coat parade around in it for their personal satisfaction, because whilst it's fun you don't have to face the "ugliness", as Sierra puts it, of Black Culture and when you are tired you can safely, go back to your place of white privilege.

I whole heartedly agree with Sierra.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I see where Sierra is coming from. I actually saw something similar to what she said on Tumblr which referred to the growing popularity of bindis and henna among non-Asians while the dark side of Asian culture or their ethic struggles are simply ignored.

It's hard because to some extent, I do agree however, I don't think it's wrong for white people to indulge in black culture. It's the way they may go about it that trivialises it instead.
Reply 2
Original post by micksocurly
I see where Sierra is coming from. I actually saw something similar to what she said on Tumblr which referred to the growing popularity of bindis and henna among non-Asians while the dark side of Asian culture or their ethic struggles are simply ignored.

It's hard because to some extent, I do agree however, I don't think it's wrong for white people to indulge in black culture. It's the way they may go about it that trivialises it instead.

Exactly, as she says there is nothing wrong with appreciating a culture, but appropriation is stepping the line.
(edited 9 years ago)
inb4 "no such thing as white privilege"
Reply 4
Oh dear, more diatribe from a female all too ready to scream 'check your privilege'. For someone so eager for blacks and women to gain a foothold in society and truly gain equality, she seems too eager to point out the racial and social differences, and keep in place the divisions and barriers in culture, such as music, slang and so on.
Reply 5
Original post by SophiaLDN
Sorry, but do you mind developing please? I'm confused by the inb4 :/
Reply 6
"Black culture" in america is pretty, well, ****. I don't see why she thinks it's something worth protecting, also "muh privilege!"
Original post by BenAssirati
Oh dear, more diatribe from a female all too ready to scream 'check your privilege'. For someone so eager for blacks and women to gain a foothold in society and truly gain equality, she seems too eager to point out the racial and social differences, and keep in place the divisions and barriers in culture, such as music, slang and so on.

The fact you seem to believe she shouldn't be allowed to do that because you suddenly want to promote 'equality' is pretty much white privilege :biggrin:

How about you just respect black culture?
Original post by SophiaLDN

Just waiting for Cryptoid Alien to appear now :lol:.
Reply 9
Original post by brownbearxo
The fact you seem to believe she shouldn't be allowed to do that because you suddenly want to promote 'equality' is pretty much white privilege :biggrin:

How about you just respect black culture?

I seriously hope you are joking with that 'white privilege' remark, because if you aren't it is quite possibly the stupidest attempt at playing the victim I have seen all week.

If I asked you to respect white culture, I assume you would say that I am just asking you to preserve the status quo of 'white privilege'? The moment we try to preserve 'cultures', we accept that there are necessary differences between the cultures which need to be kept.
So is a white person 'stealing' black culture worse than blacks using the N-word? And yeah, I agree it's not OK to trivialise it but I personally think whites should embrace black culture and not distance themselves from it.
I seriously hope you are joking with that 'white privilege' remark, because if you aren't it is quite possibly the stupidest attempt at playing the victim I have seen all week.

If I asked you to respect white culture, I assume you would say that I am just asking you to preserve the status quo of 'white privilege'? The moment we try to preserve 'cultures', we accept that there are necessary differences between the cultures which need to be kept.

Whether or not you believe its stupid is of no interest to me :smile:

Preserving 'culture' is not a bad thing, asking people to smooth over their differences completely to fit in with their exact geographic location is incredibly damaging

and to answer your question, I respect white culture just as long as mine is also respected.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Procrastin8R
So is a white person 'stealing' black culture worse than blacks using the N-word? And yeah, I agree it's not OK to trivialise it but I personally think whites should embrace black culture and not distance themselves from it.

As a poster above mentioned, appreciation is fine, appropriation is not. I am aware that these terms are subjective however and this is where the problem lies. I personally do not use the n-word but I can understand why some blacks cling so fiercely to their right to use it.
I've seen this, and somebody has written a response to it too if anyone is curious.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/anthony-michael-dagostino/bye-sierra-mannie-a-slightly-ang_b_5588108.html

Personally, I've read the initial article and I very much agree with what she has to say. The response has left me somewhat confused, because there are some good points the writer has to say as well. What do you guys think?
Original post by zakkaz
Sorry, but do you mind developing please? I'm confused by the inb4 :/

This is TSR so you're going to get a horde of white people (typically the same ones) start screaming that there's no such thing as white privilege lol.

Ok I just finished reading her article. You see, America and 'race' is a huge topic. Personally, I don't agree with her article about white gays appropriating black women. The ONLY point I agree with is when she says that they call themselves "a strong black woman" or use stereotypical African American female names when referring to themselves (takes the piss). I have heard people (usually gay) say that they have a black woman inside them. That's not ok because feisty/diva isn't synonym for a black woman. They do reinforce this stereotype through those actions.

Other than that, I honestly see no problem. Its about using words like 'shade' and 'tea' which I honestly think is so over the top that its a non-issue. I know the whole 'pillaging' thing in culture, but in this case its not. She should write a better article about something that's actually relevant and is important about race. Honestly African Americans (specifically the men) are the worst, they are so backward that they themselves support everyone and anyone who appropriates yet belittle their own more than any other race. Its embarrassing. I honestly have given up with African Americans tbh...
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 15

White people do have a privilege, it's the advantages that they have in terms of social mobility, in terms of education or in the job market. That is a simple fact, look at the all the statistics.
I agree with you and Sierra too. A very thought provoking article. Even though I'm British, I have noticed what she's talking about simply from watching gay YouTubers, and following gay people on Twitter. Actually, there are gay British guys over here who behave that way too. Before I used to love it when white people would embrace our culture, but recently to me it seems like it's becoming a joke. They're not actually appreciating it, it's like they're almost making fun out of it. A white person can act like a black person and nothing gets said by anyone, but when a black person acts white it's a different story. If they want to take on our culture, then good for them. But a lot of them need to approach it in a different manner :smile:
Original post by Pasta6163
I've seen this, and somebody has written a response to it too if anyone is curious.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/anthony-michael-dagostino/bye-sierra-mannie-a-slightly-ang_b_5588108.html

Personally, I've read the initial article and I very much agree with what she has to say. The response has left me somewhat confused, because there are some good points the writer has to say as well. What do you guys think?

I feel like the response is a little knee jerk. It seems like the writer is now brandishing homophobia over cultural appropriation as a greater evil. It seems a little unnecessary, as that isn't what the initial blogger was talking about...

Its an equally disturbing issue but why it needs to be dealt with at the same time as cultural appropriation I don't understand.
What rubbish. If African Americans don't want their culture stolen, they should stop shoving it in everyone's faces in every Hollywood film since 1975. And trying to claim that gay men are priveleged, in America, a country where a third of the population believe homosexuality is a sin, and nearly half would not vote for an otherwise well-qualified gay candidate in a presidential election, compared to only 10% if they were black? A joke.
Being white is not a privilege

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending