The Student Room Group

How would you cure the obesity epidemic across the world?

Scroll to see replies

Have them executed once they reach a certain weight
Original post by ClickItBack
True - I just used it as an example.

Full blood works - cholestrol levels, triglycerides, waist circumference, body fat %. Do it at your GP once a year. Update NHS contribs accordingly depending on band of morbidity you fall in to.

The NHS can't afford to do that for every single person in the UK. They are strained as they are.
Reply 62
Original post by DiddyDec
High Sugar and High saturated fats would be a good start. Also possibly high salt.

Nothing at all wrong with them unless you eat too much of them. Would you tax fruit too? And what's wrong with 'saturated fat' ?
The NHS can't afford to do that for every single person in the UK. They are strained as they are.

Of course they can, it's basically a check up once a year. And the cost would be more than made up for by the extra contribs from the unhealthy people - or the corresponding reduction in costs associated with obesity as people finally have the financial carrot dangled in front of them to improve their health.
Reply 64
Put down fat people.
Reply 65
Have a easyjet hand luggage-style width measurer and if they fail the test then they do not pass go!

Also would probably be a good thing for catching certain diseases preemptively before they get to the full blown stage where they end up costing the NHS a metric ton more to deal with e.g. diabetes.
I'm against body shaming as in insulting other people based on their weight. However health wise I am against obesity.
It is a big problem for public health services. It's also altering what body size is seen as 'normal'. Because I'm thinner than the average person I've had some ridiculous things said to me like "Do you eat?" NO I'M A GHOST. If I was in a country such as Japan I would never hear anything so dumb because hardly anyone there is overweight.
Speaking of Japan I think it's actually illegal to be overweight there. I know some shops have "FAT" as an actual size on the larger clothes labels.

If you have an under active thyroid or that disease that causes you to swell up because of excess water then fair enough. Otherwise you are fat from poor diet and lack of exercise.
A girl at my school would complain about her weight (she was fat) yet eat a whole big Mars bar every break and not be active!
Yes there are some fat genes, but those who have them aren't really fat.
Original post by Zorgotron
Obesity isn't a disease - obese people are victims of their own indecent, self-indulgent lifestyle. The only way to fix the problem is to teach people virtues of self-control, discipline and self-criticism, but in our society of instant gratification and consumerism, it will never happen.

*Fat Justine gazed at Bella, admiring her slender, petite body. ''What is her secret'', she asked as she stuffed her mouth full of chocolates and truffles.* - Yeah... what is her secret, huh?

also add in the 'anti-shame culture' feminism is championing. Where they tell obese people they are perfect and beautiful and healthy etc. It's only going to get worse.
Original post by Comeback
If obesity is such a simple issue, why has no one 'solved' it?

I think everything, given enough thought, is complex. Yes, we tend to over-complicate things further (it's in our nature) but not much is as straightforward as it might first appears to be.

Alas, I am rambling, so I think I'll leave it there :colondollar:

Because there is nothing to be solved, it's a personal choice and no sane person actually wants the nanny state extended to such a degree.
Original post by Rakas21
In theory you should not be punished but the world does not work on right and wrong. In this case you'd have to suffer for the good of wider society or see the post below yours.

Just send them to concentration camps until they've lost wait and can be returned to society. Much fairer.
Original post by samba
Nothing at all wrong with them unless you eat too much of them. Would you tax fruit too? And what's wrong with 'saturated fat' ?

There is nothing wring with a little bit of alcohol but that is still taxed through the roof. If you don't eat much of it then it wont be a significant increase on spending.
Original post by bertstare
I'd like to know what those scientists have discovered that would stop an obese person losing weight if they stick to a long term calorie deficit

I'll wait.

So you didn't get your answer then? Would have been interesting to find out what it was.
Original post by DErasmus
Because there is nothing to be solved, it's a personal choice and no sane person actually wants the nanny state extended to such a degree.

Well obesity is going to put enormous pressure on the NHS in the next few decades. Something needs to be done about it, or taxes will have to go up.
Original post by Comeback
Well obesity is going to put enormous pressure on the NHS in the next few decades. Something needs to be done about it, or taxes will have to go up.

Fat tax it is.
Original post by Strawberry68
I'm against body shaming as in insulting other people based on their weight. However health wise I am against obesity.
It is a big problem for public health services. It's also altering what body size is seen as 'normal'. Because I'm thinner than the average person I've had some ridiculous things said to me like "Do you eat?" NO I'M A GHOST. If I was in a country such as Japan I would never hear anything so dumb because hardly anyone there is overweight.
Speaking of Japan I think it's actually illegal to be overweight there. I know some shops have "FAT" as an actual size on the larger clothes labels.

If you have an under active thyroid or that disease that causes you to swell up because of excess water then fair enough. Otherwise you are fat from poor diet and lack of exercise.
A girl at my school would complain about her weight (she was fat) yet eat a whole big Mars bar every break and not be active!
Yes there are some fat genes, but those who have them aren't really fat.

lol I remember in 6th form there were these 2 girls that used to sit around eating chocolate and sweets pretty much constantly. Then one day they overheard me and my friends talking about fitness related stuff and butted in our convo wagging her fingers saying 'thats so untrue blah blah. Some people are fat because of their genetics,' bag of haribo in hand lmfao.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 76
There is nothing wring with a little bit of alcohol but that is still taxed through the roof. If you don't eat much of it then it wont be a significant increase on spending.

So your answer to that is to tax more random things? :confused: Nice m8, nice. Why not just slap at 50% tax on all food? Hell, why not just raise income tax to 75%?
lel i double posted.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Rakas21

Extend the school day an hour requiring PE every day for children.

This is a terrible idea. UK PE lessons in their current form can put some children ("less sporty" ones) off exercise, and it isn't the only exercise kids get. Exercise isn't the only factor involved in obesity, and a majority of kids aren't overweight.

It's easy for adults to talk about it, but kids would resent it hugely (and quite rightly). Anyone who supports that idea should think back to how much they would have hated it when they were kids.

Nutrition and healthy eating should be taught and encouraged from an early age, and taught up to GCSE. But without lengthening the school day.

PE lessons in schools should to include more intense exercise (not lengthening it), and a wider range of activities where possible.

Swimming baths and other sports facilities would have their funding maintained (perhaps increased), so that they can play a role and are protected from closures.

Ban fast food and high fat food TV advertising before the watershed.

I could tolerate a modest "fat tax" as long as it was only for foods with a certain (very high) % of RDA, and taxes on healthier foods were reduced. The cost should balance out for those who eat fatty food in moderation but still eat healthy. Any system which forces people who eat fatty food in moderation to pay more would be unacceptable.
Original post by samba
So your answer to that is to tax more random things? :confused: Nice m8, nice. Why not just slap at 50% tax on all food? Hell, why not just raise income tax to 75%?

Stop giving him ideas.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending