The Student Room Group

Do you look down on fat people?

Scroll to see replies

Depends, how fat.
Reply 81
Original post by manchesterunited15
Discuss

I do

I try not to, we're all human and I like to see us all as equals.

It's hard though due to social constructs.
No because the majority of time they're taller than me :angry:
Reply 83
No, but I do wonder why they are fat

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 84
Sometimes you have to ask "do they want to be like that?" Answer will probably be no. Why make someone feel worse than they are?
Only people I know. Not out of hate but because I'm generally worried about them. One of my family members is obese but wants to be a doctor. She also has other health problems due to the fact that she is obese. She's not trying to help her self get better no matter what my family say.

Posted from TSR Mobile
"Do not equate as equal that which is unequal." - Nietzsche

Am I really supposed to value as equal that which is blatantly inferior? It is like when people say not to judge on looks or not to judge on intelligence. Why? Because men will be insecure about their natural deficiencies? Or when the poor, ugly, weak and stupid point to the rich, beautiful, strong and intelligent and murmur

"But don't look up to them. They are no better than us. In the EYES OF GOD we are all EQUAL."

What crime against aesthetics that we even give these people the time of day. What a vulgar God that equates as equal the Beautiful and the Bland.
Original post by VladThe1mpaler
So you look down on anyone who has traits you consider "negative"?

I suppose the real question is why you would look down on anyone? Is it because you think you are better than any of these people with "negative traits"? Because that really shows some "negative traits" of your own.

I feel the need to preface this by saying that fat is not inherently negative. The argument people are putting across is that it demonstrates greed, laziness and a lack of control. I am not saying that is fair, but these are not good traits and let's accept the logic.

Because, if you can't look down on someone because of negative traits they possess then when can you?

This 'you shouldn't look down on people, everyone is equal and you shouldn't judge' rubbish is silly. Of course there are such things as negative traits, and judging someone is not necessarily unfair. I look down on rapists for instance, or bullies, or liars, or slobs or people who show all manner of traits which I deem to be undesirable. From a social perspective, if you cannot identify negative traits then you cannot identify the reciprocal positive traits, such as kindness, hard work or trustworthiness. If you cannot discourage bad habits you cannot encourage good. It may not always be kind, but this sort of social judgement serves a purpose.
Original post by Pectorac
The people who sign the benefits forms to pretend they are sick, have too many kids to support, need their rent paid through housing benefit, need more and more child benefit, need tax credits, need tax exemptions, etc are not 'clueless'. They know full well what they are doing; they need to know or else they won't get as much money as they do. They are not clueless knowing that the more children they have the more child benefit they will receive, and the more chance they have of the council giving them a bigger and better house to accommodate themselves and their children. They all bother to research what they could be 'entitled' to and make up stories to fit the description of who is eligible to claim whatever benefits they see.

When you are working full-time and just about being able to pay the rent, bills, food and to treat yourself a tiny bit, you'll understand why other people look down on these people. By being told I mean not to educate them (because they already know), but if they were told they had to get a job, couldn't claim for everything they pretend to have and not have so many children or their benefits would stop and they'd be left with nothing, there wouldn't be so many of these scroungers.

Did you even read what I wrote?

My point is that looking down on someone is making yourself feel superior to them. Which no one is! You are so embittered by them (benefit cheaters), can't you see how awful that is in itself? You need to rise above it. Help them up.

Could you read what I've written again because we've gone off-topic please? I argued against with your points, could you to do the same please?

Original post by JayJay-C19
No, I never could. I don't know the story behind their weight and everybody is different, it isn't as easy as eating more vegetables and doing an hour everyday at the gym or something to make you slimmer/the right weight. Not to mention I think it's wrong to look down on anyone.

Thank you! Hardly anyone thinks this... :frown:

Equal at birth yes, but our choices make us unequal. How anyone could say that Mandela and Hitler should be equally respected is beyond me.

Equal humans. If you strip all that away you have a human. Each of would be same. As humans, not what they've done.

Also, with you saying this. Are you trying to say that you look down on skinny people?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by karmacrunch

Equal humans. If you strip all that away you have a human. Each of would be same. As humans, not what they've done.

Also, with you saying this. Are you trying to say that you look down on skinny people?

Posted from TSR Mobile

But that doesn't mean anything. If you strip away our thoughts, feeling, actions, choices then yes of course we're all the same as we're just empy human shells, but why would you? They make us who we are.
But that doesn't mean anything. If you strip away our thoughts, feeling, actions, choices then yes of course we're all the same as we're just empy human shells, but why would you? They make us who we are.

I wouldn't. :/ Us having different thoughts, feelings and actions makes us individuals like you said but we're still human. We make the human race. No one is born better or worse, as we grow we'll all go in different ways. Some will make bad choices (really bad choices even) or some might not at all. Not one of us is superior to another. We have no right to look down on someone.
One person might find a cure to something, one might become a thief. The one who finds the cure will be acclaimed obviously and the thief will be punished. Still equal. Neither is superior.

This is making me feel miserable. This bit (of this debate/ argument).reminds me of Animal Farm :frown:

"All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others"

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
If they are shorter than me, yeah I do.
Reply 92
Look down on fat people because of their appearance? Nah. Look down on ridiculously fat people for their lack of care for their health? Yeah... mainly because they're more likely to have obese children who can't do anything about it and end up being bullied in school or have health problems.

It annoys me when they complain that they can't lose weight as well, right before they order a quadra big mac with extra cheese.
Generally, no. If I'm walking around and see a fat person I don't 'look down upon them' for it - I really couldn't care less. However, I will look down on fat people if:

- They get in my way (fat people on trains, planes and the tube are very annoying)
- Fat girls that wear clothes made for normal sized girls (it offends the eye) - I suppose this could be said for blokes too
- They talk about how being fat is not their fault.
Not as such, but if they're really fat, as if they've compromised their mobility etc, I'll think they should sort themselves out. Ultimately, though, that's their call, I suppose.

If they're fat and they complain about it, and say they can't help themselves etc, I'll tend to look down on them as weak, yes.

edit: so I voted yes.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Rinsed
From a social perspective, if you cannot identify negative traits then you cannot identify the reciprocal positive traits, such as kindness, hard work or trustworthiness.

Excellent point.

If you can't look down on someone because 'we're all human and equal', it would seem to follow that you can't look up to particularly admirable people.
I look down on short people.
Here's how I think.

I think that everyone has a choice to change their body. But this choice may be restricted by psychological factors such as depression, mental illness, and financial circumstances. For those people who have their choice restricted, I would not judge them in the slightest.

For those who not possess the above mitigating circumstances, then I will look down on people who have the time, money, and basic knowledge nutrition which can be acquired by talking to ones GP, or the internet if they are fat.
I don't really care as long as they aren't bothering me or complaining about their weight to me.
No, I look down on ***** like you... or at least I would if it weren't for my height impairment. I'll get the axe. :erm:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending