The Student Room Group

Why are students perceived as open and tolerant?

Everybody is told, 'you'll be fine at uni, everybody is tolerant there and they'll love you for who you are.' - Pretty sure I've seen statements to that effect on this site multiple times, and probably been told it myself too.

However a quick perusal of this site shows at least a large minority dislike/discriminate against:

- Mentally ill people
- Fat people
- Jews
- Homosexuals
- Transsexuals
- Israelis
- Muslims
- Opposite genders

Obviously this varies from mild dislike to burning hatred.

So is this representative of students as a whole, or are students on tsr simply worse? Does university policy simply hide such discrimination without properly addressing it?
Original post by samba
Everybody is told, 'you'll be fine at uni, everybody is tolerant there and they'll love you for who you are.' - Pretty sure I've seen statements to that effect on this site multiple times, and probably been told it myself too.

However a quick perusal of this site shows at least a large minority dislike/discriminate against:

- Mentally ill people
- Fat people
- Jews
- Homosexuals
- Transsexuals
- Israelis
- Muslims
- Opposite genders

Obviously this varies from mild dislike to burning hatred.

So is this representative of students as a whole, or are students on tsr simply worse? Does university policy simply hide such discrimination without properly addressing it?

I don't think this is unique to TSR. As we all know, Audience + Anonymity + Contrary Opinion = Troll.

If you give a platform for people to express themselves in this way, it will be exploited. There's very little consequence for it. It's like playing Cards Against Humanity, with yourself - you get the consternation of the disgusted majority, but it's just meaningless words on a screen, and the "Coathanger Abortions" card, when teamed up with the right black card is still hilarious.

Normal society makes it socially unacceptable for people to express their vile opinions, but that doesn't stop them thinking about it, or worse, (un)consciously discriminating against people because of it. University students have just got a lot more to lose if they get called out as a bigot or a bully,

These opinions are probably far more prevalent than we'd like to admit.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Mad Vlad
I don't think this is unique to TSR. As we all know, Audience + Anonymity + Contrary Opinion = Troll.

If you give a platform for people to express themselves in this way, it will be exploited. There's very little consequence for it. It's like playing Cards Against Humanity, with yourself - you get the consternation of the disgusted majority, but it's just meaningless words on a screen, and the "Coathanger Abortions" card, when teamed up with the right black card is still hilarious.

Normal society makes it socially unacceptable for people to express their vile opinions, but that doesn't stop them thinking about it, or worse, (un)consciously discriminating against people because of it. University students have just got a lot more to lose if they get called out as a bigot or a bully,

These opinions are probably far more prevalent than we'd like to admit.

I also don't think it's unique to tsr. The point I'm trying to get at is bolded in your final line.

Often the result of such bigoted opinion can be catastrophic. I knew a girl [born a guy] at Cambridge who killed herself due to the hate, and if you look at this thread the poll indicates that fat people have been taught to hate themselves as some sort of vile disease.

Eating disorders, poor mental health, all indicative of this sort of attitude.

If attitudes are so prevalent, should we not be addressing them head on instead of brushing them under the carpet?
Reply 3
Students are at that perfect stage of being young enough to be naive, yet old enough to think their opinion is well-informed. Also, universities are a melting pot of every different social group, including racial, financial and sexual. Mix this with the fact that students are taught from a young age to question everything they are presented with, and provide facts for their own opinions, and you have the perfect conditions for liberal thinking to grow. It is why arts and humanities students are stereotyped as much more left-wing, with Art and English students being characterized as the most radical. Note: these are not my opinions, I am merely referring to well known stereotypes and generalizations.
Compared to most secondary schools, university is a lot more tolerant. It isn't a perfect utopia by any means but it is usually a much more accepting environment.
Original post by TroyAndAbed
Compared to most secondary schools, university is a lot more tolerant. It isn't a perfect utopia by any means but it is usually a much more accepting environment.

It is, but that isn't necessarily due to people suddenly realising that their opinions were awful and intolerant. As samba pointed out, the environment seems more accepting, but only because people are strictly mandated to (appear to) accept and be tolerant because the university regulations are strict and the financial (and reputational) consequences of breaking those regulations are severe.
Original post by samba
I also don't think it's unique to tsr. The point I'm trying to get at is bolded in your final line.

Often the result of such bigoted opinion can be catastrophic. I knew a girl [born a guy] at Cambridge who killed herself due to the hate, and if you look at this thread the poll indicates that fat people have been taught to hate themselves as some sort of vile disease.

Eating disorders, poor mental health, all indicative of this sort of attitude.

If attitudes are so prevalent, should we not be addressing them head on instead of brushing them under the carpet?

I absolutely agree, but how do you propose to address a hidden issue like this? Is it even possible to change people's opinions on some of these things? I've certainly never genuinely persuaded a homophobe to accept homosexuality.
Reply 7
I absolutely agree, but how do you propose to address a hidden issue like this? Is it even possible to change people's opinions on some of these things? I've certainly never genuinely persuaded a homophobe to accept homosexuality.

I dunno, perhaps teaching cause and consequence would help a lot of people. Obviously the true bigots would stay true, but it could help sway a lot of the still naive students who could go either way in later life. If people knew how destructive their attitudes could be, it could change them. Also catching self loathing faster; as it's often people in those categories who can be the biggest bigots.

If I knew the answers I wouldn't make the thread though :p:
It is, but that isn't necessarily due to people suddenly realising that their opinions were awful and intolerant. As samba pointed out, the environment seems more accepting, but only because people are strictly mandated to (appear to) accept and be tolerant because the university regulations are strict and the financial (and reputational) consequences of breaking those regulations are severe.

I don't know; I think some people do shed some of the ignorant views they only went along with because of peer pressure. Obviously there will still be some racists/sexists/homophobes at universities but I think some of the discrimination that takes place in a school environment is to seem "cool" & fit in. Away from people they've known since they were 11 or younger, people have a chance to look at their own views independently and reassess what they think. The hardcore racists/sexists/homophobes will still have their intolerant views but those who were more just swept up in the pressures of school can genuinely have a change of heart.
Reply 9
Original post by TroyAndAbed
I don't know; I think some people do shed some of the ignorant views they only went along with because of peer pressure. Obviously there will still be some racists/sexists/homophobes at universities but I think some of the discrimination that takes place in a school environment is to seem "cool" & fit in. Away from people they've known since they were 11 or younger, people have a chance to look at their own views independently and reassess what they think. The hardcore racists/sexists/homophobes will still have their intolerant views but those who were more just swept up in the pressures of school can genuinely have a change of heart.

I think what Mad Vlad is saying is that there is actually more pressure at university, not only from peers (the social consequences of an adult being deemed intolerant are severe), but from society and, more importantly, the university. Students are essentially bullied into appearing tolerant so that they don't face the repercussions, thus universities are actually more about being pressured into appearing 'cool' and 'tolerant' than secondary school.
Original post by BenAssirati
I think what Mad Vlad is saying is that there is actually more pressure at university, not only from peers (the social consequences of an adult being deemed intolerant are severe), but from society and, more importantly, the university. Students are essentially bullied into appearing tolerant so that they don't face the repercussions, thus universities are actually more about being pressured into appearing 'cool' and 'tolerant' than secondary school.

I know what he's saying but I'm just saying I think that people growing & maturing away from the school environment plays a role in why students are seen as more tolerant and accepting. I wasn't saying it's the only factor but I don't think universities "bullying" students is the only factor either.
In my experience, the whole "you'll be accepted for who you are" crap is just that, bull****. I had a terrible time at university and although it's nice to think that people have "grown up" (somehow magically in a few months over the summer) I don't think that's the case at all, sadly. I was ostracized and made fun of for mental health problems - they made sure in both seminars and lectures that I knew I was different and wouldn't be accepted.
(edited 9 years ago)
Honestly, I think it depends who you hang around with, and TSR is not a good representation of students as a whole. I find that at my uni people are really accepting of all of those people, and pretty much anyone can fit in and make friends. The sort of people who post awful things on TSR probably don't ever leave the house, so you don't have to worry about running in to them in the real world.
Certainly a step up from delinquent hoodlums.
TSR is filled with students that don't get out much. The ones that don't like to party every waking minute and they quite clearly don't drink like the average student.
Reply 15
Original post by DiddyDec
TSR is filled with students that don't get out much. The ones that don't like to party every waking minute and they quite clearly don't drink like the average student.

So you think there's causation between not getting out much and being more discriminatory, and those who are out more are more open and accepting?
Original post by samba
So you think there's causation between not getting out much and being more discriminatory, and those who are out more are more open and accepting?

Yeah, I think so. If you don't get out and actually see the world for your self, you are relying on other peoples views. Which is normally the media, which is not a very good source for your world view.
Original post by samba

- Mentally ill people
- Fat people
- Jews
- Homosexuals
- Transsexuals
- Israelis
- Muslims
- Opposite genders

Gee I wish I was actually part of those categories. Just remember that not all students are filled by the minorities, there's loads of us that are normal people, likewise with those on TSR
It's complex.

We live in a PC era, but many people either selectively apply it or pay lip service to it.

I find many TSR people say stuff they don't mean, or have a very sheltered/blinkered view of life.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending