The Student Room Group

Is It Socially Acceptable To Be Fat?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mackay
That's a very blinkered view.

There IS a lot of pressure to be slim in the UK - especially for young women. Try telling your opinion to people with eating disorders up and down the country.

If it was true we wouldn't have obesity problems.

I never understand this 'especially for women'....there is more overweights and obese women than men in the UK. I have been to many gyms and they're always male dominated. UK women continue to be fat because there is little pressure and our drink culture ensures a drunk bloke will shag her giving her validation for her choices.

How many people suffer anorexia compared to being overweight and obese?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by reciproversexclu
Being fat is an individuals business if it is causing no adverse effect to other than the individual.

You've clearly never sat next to some fat stinking slob spilling over onto your seat during a flight.

And there's the cost to the NHS. If fat people paid for their own healthcare and did not use public transport, I would have no problem with them.
Reply 22
Original post by Magnetist-Master
If it was true we wouldn't have obesity problems.

Ridiculous. Anyone who denies that there is pressure to be slim in this country is living in a dream.
Original post by Mackay
Ridiculous. Anyone who denies that there is pressure to be slim in this country is living in a dream.

There is obviously pressure...just not massive amounts. You're not treated like an outcast because it is becoming the norm. Morbidly obese people will be treated and looked upon badly...but chubby people women won't be, in South America and Eastern Europe they will be looked upon as lepas and with pure disgust...a morbidly obese person I cannot even imagine how they would be treated.

That level of actual everyday pressure to be slim is why their obesity rates are so much lower than ours.
Original post by tengentoppa
You've clearly never sat next to some fat stinking slob spilling over onto your seat during a flight.

And there's the cost to the NHS. If fat people paid for their own healthcare and did not use public transport, I would have no problem with them.

You have a problem understanding my comment " if it is causing no adverse effect to other than the individual".
Does the 'stink' offend you as much as the spatial intrusion ?

There is obviously pressure...just not massive amounts. You're not treated like an outcast because it is becoming the norm. Morbidly obese people will be treated and looked upon badly...but chubby people women won't be, in South America and Eastern Europe they will be looked upon as lepas and with pure disgust...a morbidly obese person I cannot even imagine how they would be treated.

That level of actual everyday pressure to be slim is why their obesity rates are so much lower than ours.

Obesity soars to 'alarming' levels in developing countries

http://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2014/jan/03/obesity-soars-alarming-levels-developing-countries
Reply 25

I see what you're saying about outcast - but that is purely as you get older in my view. It's still massively hard for overweight children and teenagers in this country. They face all sorts of problems in schools and socially.
I don't think 'fitness freak' is really that pejorative as it's fundamentally a good thing to be healthy. Some people go a bit crazy with it and it dominates their life - yoga and living on liquid diets of exotic berries and kale - but I think that anybody with a bordering on obsessive level of anything is going to get people telling them they're an 'X' Freak!

It's definitely more socially acceptable to be fit than fat, by a million miles. People pride themselves on it.
Reply 27
Original post by seaholme
I don't think 'fitness freak' is really that pejorative as it's fundamentally a good thing to be healthy. Some people go a bit crazy with it and it dominates their life - yoga and living on liquid diets of exotic berries and kale - but I think that anybody with a bordering on obsessive level of anything is going to get people telling them they're an 'X' Freak!

Exactly. I've heard people describe themselves as Netflix freaks, coffee freaks, etc etc...
Original post by reciproversexclu
You have a problem understanding my comment " if it is causing no adverse effect to other than the individual".
Does the 'stink' offend you as much as the spatial intrusion ?

I suppose the spatial intrusion is the main issue.
No, it's not. I have been fat for the majority of my life. That fact has been a huge factor into why I lack so much self confidence. It wouldn't be an issue if it were socially acceptable.

I have lost 2 stone in the past few months (previously BMI 27/28, now down to 23) though I am still not happy with my weight, despite being 'officially' in the healthy range of BMI. Need to lose some more to be truly content.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending