The Student Room Group

Men need freedom to discuss male issues, but bashing women is not the solution.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by sherlockfan
Reasonably intelligent? Really? Because from what ive seen most users have a pretty backwards view towards feminism and thats not going to be representative of the whole population, just a minority of sexually frustrated teenage boys.

Read my argument on RedPill again. I believe the respondents to that thread were of reasonable intelligence certainly. I try to discard the obvious trolls and misogynists (can't name names)
Original post by Riku
Read my argument on RedPill again. I believe the respondents to that thread were of reasonable intelligence certainly. I try to discard the obvious trolls and misogynists (can't name names)

Have you considered going into journalism? Have a feeling you might be good at it.
masculism?
They do have this freedom, for the large part. There are already organisations that focus exclusively on men's health issues, such as Movember. There are organisations that specifically provide counselling and support for male rape and sexual assault victims. There are organisations that advocate help for problems that mostly concern men, such as prisoner abuse and homelessness.

MRAs do none of these things because they don't give a **** about the actual personal experiences of the men who suffer because of the aforementioned issues; to them they're just stats to bash feminism and women with.
Reply 24
Original post by anarchism101
They do have this freedom, for the large part. There are already organisations that focus exclusively on men's health issues, such as Movember. There are organisations that specifically provide counselling and support for male rape and sexual assault victims. There are organisations that advocate help for problems that mostly concern men, such as prisoner abuse and homelessness.

MRAs do none of these things because they don't give a **** about the actual personal experiences of the men who suffer because of the aforementioned issues; to them they're just stats to bash feminism and women with.

I didn't think society acknowledged that there was such a thing as male rape.

To much.. sensible.
Original post by Riku
I didn't think society acknowledged that there was such a thing as male rape.

According to British law (woman-on-man rape does exist in US law), men can be raped by other men but not by women, because rape is defined as forced penetration with a penis, though in my experience people still tend to refer to situations where women have forced men to penetrate as rape.
Also, just a note on terminology that I've made before; "radical feminism" has a specific meaning and is not just a synonym for extremism or militancy. It is a school of feminism which believes gender oppression is the most basic or fundamental form of oppression, and all other forms of oppression ultimately derive from gender oppression. There are very militant feminists who reject this idea, and non-militant ones who believe it.
Reply 28
Also, just a note on terminology that I've made before; "radical feminism" has a specific meaning and is not just a synonym for extremism or militancy. It is a school of feminism which believes gender oppression is the most basic or fundamental form of oppression, and all other forms of oppression ultimately derive from gender oppression. There are very militant feminists who reject this idea, and non-militant ones who believe it.

I see, I was wary that this may have a specific meaning. I would have to disagree with that because e.g. racism doesn't come from gender oppression, although I can see how they would make the 'man-woman master-servant' translates into other master-servant r'ships such as white master black slave.

So, extremists/militants. Thanks for sharing! I will TRY to use the correct term in future :smile:
Original post by sherlockfan
Reasonably intelligent? Really? Because from what ive seen most users have a pretty backwards view towards feminism and thats not going to be representative of the whole population, just a minority of sexually frustrated teenage boys.

Of course, why engage critically with people when you can spout rhetoric and insults instead?
Original post by TurboCretin
Of course, why engage critically with people when you can spout rhetoric and insults instead?

Because some opinions are just not worth engaging with.
I agree.

To me feminism is about completely equal opportunities between men and women. I think one of the main problems men face is against the law system. Men accused of rape should be protected until proven guilty. There should be more rights for fathers and for men who are going through divorce and so on so forth. And of course in case of murder, the sentence should not be more lenient just because you're a woman.

The problem a lot of women will have with 'male issues' is the fact that women have been fighting hundreds of years against the patriarchy and used to be seen as second class, less worthy citizens. Even in this day and age, some people still think like this so to women 'male issues' will seem insignificant. Not my view, but that's how a lot of people will think.

As far as I'm concerned gender doesn't matter. First and foremost we are all people, not a gender and as people we should all have equal rights to discuss our issues and not have them considered as 'male' or 'female' issues when they are people issues.
Reply 32
Original post by battycatlady
I agree.

To me feminism is about completely equal opportunities between men and women. I think one of the main problems men face is against the law system. Men accused of rape should be protected until proven guilty. There should be more rights for fathers and for men who are going through divorce and so on so forth. And of course in case of murder, the sentence should not be more lenient just because you're a woman.

The problem a lot of women will have with 'male issues' is the fact that women have been fighting hundreds of years against the patriarchy and used to be seen as second class, less worthy citizens. Even in this day and age, some people still think like this so to women 'male issues' will seem insignificant. [B]Not my view, but that's how a lot of people will think.

As far as I'm concerned gender doesn't matter. First and foremost we are all people, not a gender and as people we should all have equal rights to discuss our issues and not have them considered as 'male' or 'female' issues when they are people issues.

Agree absolutely :smile:

I know it's not your view, but one has to ask, as an extreme; does the fact that the Nazis, a lot who were Germans, once oppressed Jews now mean that Jews should be able to collectively invade Germany? This is a much more difficult ethical dilemma to deal with when we try and argue it in different contexts, I'm not using the best example either :tongue: Authoritarians and those on the right will always seek more for social justice than the left

To put it more amply imo two wrongs don't make a right, it only continues to reinforce the master-slave system (in this case pre-feminism, man as master woman as servant)

I wish it were so but we have been largely defined by biological imperatives since birth

Some men's issues stem from women's privileges and vice versa, so we cannot just lump them into 'people's issues', at least not at present as the patriarchy stands!
Reply 33
Original post by mrfletch
How the hell does your keyboard still work, Riku? I swear you've put out more text than News International in the last few days.

Haha love it.
Reply 34
Original post by Mackay
Haha love it.

I have a lot of repressed speech to compensate for in real life.
Original post by Riku
I see, I was wary that this may have a specific meaning. I would have to disagree with that because e.g. racism doesn't come from gender oppression, although I can see how they would make the 'man-woman master-servant' translates into other master-servant r'ships such as white master black slave.

So, extremists/militants. Thanks for sharing! I will TRY to use the correct term in future :smile:

I agree, I don't personally believe gender oppression is the root cause of all oppression either (I think the roots of oppression are much more straightforward and down to much more crude desires for power), just clarifying the views of a particular school.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending