The Student Room Group

Homophobic black people

Scroll to see replies

Original post by got a question
Where is the evidence that being black isn't a choice?

I'm a white person and have lived my whole life as such so how can I be sure that you didn't choose to be black at some stage in your life? I have never experienced what being black is like so how could I be sure without evidence?

That's a very good question. Fortunately for you there's been advances in the area of Human skin colour genetics and genes which determine skin colour have been identified.

All I need from you is that same proof for homosexuality.

:smile:
Original post by Marky Mark
That's a very good question. Fortunately for you there's been advances in the area of Human skin colour genetics and genes which determine skin colour have been identified.

All I need from you is that same proof for homosexuality.

:smile:

That link says this "Comparisons between known skin pigmentation genes in chimpanzees and modern Africans show that dark skin evolved along with the loss of body hair about 1.2 million years ago and is the ancestral state of all humans"

Are you sure you're not a White neo-Nazi?
I'm Black and Gay, and I wouldn't compare the 2 on any scale.
It's got less to do with hiding yourself, than being cautious of how the world perceives you.
If you're white and gay, you still have more privileges in life than a heterosexual white person..you can't know what it's like to experience racism (especially when it's embedded so deeply and subtly within society), because believe it or not, being gay is actually more socially acceptable than being black. Racism and homophobia are two very different sides of the same coin. You just can't compare the two on any scale.
No one should have to hide who they are, but people can only assume that you're homosexual and until you confirm or deny their assumptions, they would not be able to apply any negative connotations associated with being gay to you. This is the exact opposite with skin colour... the minute your seen, that's it, you carry the burden of all the negativity associated with your skin colour.
PLUS the LGBTQIA+ community can be reeeeealllly mother****ing racist, so of course People of Colour would be like... don't associate the struggle.
Regardless, I don't understand why people feel the need to compare being homosexual with being black. If you're not black then just shut up and say nothing about the issues faced with being black. If you're not gay then shut up and say nothing about the issues faced with being gay. SIMPLE! If you ain't lived it, don't try to live it!
(edited 9 years ago)
You do realise there are gay black people? So if you compare a gay white guy and a gay black guy, guess which one would could be discriminated against twice rather than once? The struggles aren't the same, stop comparing them. You can't exactly compare homophobia to racism because it's not the same thing. I don't know why anyone would be upset about this anyway..

My guess as to why African-americans are upset about this (although i've never heard of this being an issue until this post) is because race plays a big part in American society till this day. Also, because 'Murica.

Original post by SnoochToTheBooch
Today's black people have not been enslaved. That's dead people's baggage, quit carrying it.

Have you ever heard of racism & discrimination? Or are you sleep-walking through life?

There's no evidence that suggests being black isn't a choice either.

lol what? basic gcse science pls.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by TheTechN1304
if you were gay you would realise that gay people can't choose to be straight...also, no one should have to hide who they are, so your point is invalid.

Well you can choose to appear straight to avoid discrimination.
"I don't remember anyone saying 'get to the back of the bus homosexuals' "

- True, but I don't remember anyone saying "Get in the gas chambers blacks" either.
I'm not sure why you're repeating what I just said in the previous post to you stop being redundant and long winded. And I would also like to argue that temperament is determined by a "complex interplay between many different gene groups and the environment."

The environment refers to the womb; not something homosexuals can control. If you concur with the point that temperament, sexual orientation and other such traits are determined beyond our control, then perhaps it's about time you stopped implying that homosexuality is a choice, and thus can be easily suppressed?

It has?! When????!!!! Link me the study please.

Here's one: http://www.karger.com/Article/FullText/262525
And here's what the Royal College of Psychiatrists have to say about this: http://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/workinpsychiatry/specialinterestgroups/gaylesbian/submissiontothecofe/psychiatryandlgbpeople.aspx#origins
Reply 67
It's offensive to compare racism to homophobia because black people's struggles flow much, much deeper and they certainly resonate beyond someone's sexual preference.

You can hide your sexuality you cannot hide your skin colour.

Black people were enslaved gay people have not.

Black people can't choose to be white but gay people can choose to be straight.

No, you're right, they weren't enslaved.
They were merely hanged and imprisoned (and still are).

That's not as bad, right?
Original post by buzzybee143
As much as I believe that being gay is NOT a choice and shouldn't be discriminated against, how can you expect some black people to just quit carrying the baggage? Those are their family, my great grandparents. I'm only half black but still get racism, last week a woman randomly called me a mixed raced filth and a biological mutant like wtf.

Anyway homophobia hurts but racism cuts into deep deep roots. Neither should be accepted and no people should be told to just 'get over it'.

I said drop that baggage because I have a really hard time believing that modern day discrimination of black people is anything like what it used to be, yet it's still used as an excuse for all sorts.
The place I'm coming from is that people's attitudes/outlook on life should be based on their own first hand experience, and an honest appraisal of their experiences rather than a selective, 'confirmation bias' sort of way.
Your history isn't what happened to your parents, grandparents and so on, rather your history is only what happened to you starting from the day you were born. It seems to me that so much gets made of the terrible things that got done to the black people of the past that modern black people are conditioned from a young age to attach themselves to it as if it actually happened to them.
I've got no sympathy for anyone who does this, I don't mind if they're hurt if they've been taught to perceive themselves as bigger victims than they really are. If this isn't you I apologise, but I suspect that racial abuse is not a common thing for a typical black person to have to put up with in the modern day UK. I've never seen it with my own eyes. Racism is a big taboo now, there are laws against it, people lose their job over it. The only people still doing what happened to you last week are surely just few braindead clowns whose opinions should matter as much to you as those of the mentally ill, piss-sodden tramp screaming obsencities on the street corner would.

Original post by SophiaLDN

Have you ever heard of racism & discrimination? Or are you sleep-walking through life?

All races get discriminated against by other races. See above and please explain why slavery matters now given that black people of today have never been slaves and white people of today have never been slave owners.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Monsieur Gamma
"I don't remember anyone saying 'get to the back of the bus homosexuals' "

- True, but I don't remember anyone saying "Get in the gas chambers blacks" either.

What's your point?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by wiseLAD
What's your point?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No point to it really, just the first thing that came to my head when he said it.

But actually you what, I kind of get his point on the whole marriage thing being lost. I'm not going to say I agree completely with what he says, because some of it is quite horrible, but on occasion he's right.
I'm a scientist and I appreciate well-documented and supported evidence for any claim, the voice of "thousands" doesn't constitute proof to me. There's no gay gene(s).

It's convenient for gay people to say they were born that way that's why we can't take their word as evidence. It's like asking a bunch of murders and rapists on death row if they are mentally ill knowing full well that pleading insanity may spare them the capital punishment.

I've not read further than this cause I just saw someone compare gay people to murders. I've seen some of your posts saying how you're a scientist and cause no 'gay gene' has been found yet we could be lying. Despite the fact that some people know they are gay from young ages, therefore environmental influence is limited, and the fact that homosexuality is pretty common across the animal kingdom. But I guess animals lie as well, right?

Going back to the original discussion I don't think it's possible or right to compare negrophobia to homophobia. They are both bad by telling people they are wrong for being who they are. Full stop. That is it.
It's not homophobic to point out that, in a historical context, racism and homophobic aren't really comparable. That doesn't mean they condone homophobia.

You can hide your sexuality you cannot hide your skin colour.

Fair enough but I'm sure if black people could hide their skin colour they wouldn't want to - they'd want to freely and happily be who they are.

Black people were enslaved gay people have not.

Homosexual people were burned alive in 1300s England should we just forget about that? They were also hanged in 1533.

http://www.stonewall.org.uk/at_home/history_of_lesbian_gay_and_bisexual_equality/default.asp

Black people can't choose to be white but gay people can choose to be straight.

A person can't choose their sexuality.

----

Homophobia and racism are both just as disgusting as each other, and shouldn't be compared.
Why do they get angry when homophobia is compared to racism against black people specifically in America during the civil rights era?

They say "how dare you, it's not the same, our skin colour can be seen whereas gays can hide their sexuality" which ironically exposes their homophobia. They don't realise that the whole point of discrimination is that the discriminator does not care about your feelings at all. White people were oblivious to the humanity of black people, which is what perpetuated the racism. Black people failing to recognize the struggle of gays is completely the same as white people failing to recognize the struggle of blacks because what is the same about both scenarios is the the oppressor simply doesn't care.

Vidoes the like this are in the plenty on youtube

[video="youtube;awXqNMghmos"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awXqNMghmos[/video]

"Gays weren't told to sit on the back of bus" etc bla bla

A white guy from Texas in the 1920s could probably come up with just as many excuses as to why black people aren't free in society.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQNI7X0aNEs
This post just further proves how ignorant white people are. Case closed. You guys will never understand the struggle of people of colour. Yes gays have it bad - but not as bad as black people do.
Original post by vanessanoelle
This post just further proves how ignorant white people are. Case closed. You guys will never understand the struggle of people of colour. Yes gays have it bad - but not as bad as black people do.

Pot, kettle, black.
Please, tell me how discrimination against Gay people is even comparable to discrimination against black people during the Civil rights era... to even say they are on the same scale should be an offence of its own.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending